PDA

View Full Version : John Goodwin Saddle

Jenny
06-04-01, 09:20 AM
Can anybody tell me anything about the saddle brand "John GoodWin". Apparently it is a well known english brand.
What would you expect to pay for a John Goodwin 16" dressage saddle with long points in good condition?

Many thanks for any advice/info.
Jenny.

anja
06-04-01, 03:38 PM
ahha.. yup i ahd a godwin jump saddle for a while.. very and i mean very comfy.. butt and a big but it kind of died very easily. My sadller at the time said they ere prone to tree fractures. sorry mine broke in 5 places just in geeral use.. not a common saddle in pomme land now.. wouldnt have a clue what to pay over here or for dressage.. for a bench mark my goodwin jumping was in excellent nic and used only by me at work before i bought it, so paid second hand price of gbp 500. Have you considered an Albion or a county?? both make excellent saddles.. very sturdy and set a good position...

Leah.
06-04-01, 03:49 PM
Go for the county if your looking for comfort! But it isn't all that good for your "seat position" as i find they sit your hips back/down not up.I dunno maybe thats just me? What size horse do you have?

Jenny
07-04-01, 10:01 AM
I want to use it on big ponies and a small galloway....I actually saw it today...it looks to be a nice neat show saddle....She is asking $600..
Does this seem like a reasonable price fro this type of saddle...it is at least 12 years old...very soft...flaps possibly a little too soft.
What do you think?

anja
08-04-01, 06:17 AM
well done a bit of digging about john goodwins... apparently it is the modern synthetic sprung trees that have a big dodge in them... that in consideration and the price i would go for it.. just treat with plenty of tlc... check tree well before you but it... i did find our goodwins were very adaptable and a medium fitted most horses/ ponies... we tended to use ķur''saddle on all the horses we rode and they were pretty varied at times! they are comfy and sit you fairly well central..just the trees to watch for.

Jenny
08-04-01, 10:51 AM
Thanks very much Anja.