PDA

View Full Version : EI: Vaccinations begin in earnest i

MichelleH
09-10-07, 11:44 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/EI-vaccination
-to-begin-in-earnest/2007/10/08/1191695814381.html

jay
09-10-07, 12:56 PM
http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/ei-vaccination-to-begin-in-earnest/20070108-136a.html

MichelleH I couldn't open your link - but I think the one above would be reporting the same story. Terrific if you have racehorses, but not much help to the rest of us!!

mcphermw
09-10-07, 01:05 PM
ye gods we are going to have to resort to anarchy, insurrection, and subversion!!! It truly is gobsmackingly unjust. To the few now the many who want to vaccinate and those who have suffered and lost this is morally reprehensible...
we just might need to gather our numbers and stage some big protests as has been suggested on other posts

mindari
09-10-07, 01:13 PM
"
Most of the horses stabled at Randwick will be moved to spelling paddocks in the greater Sydney and Hunter regions to allow authorities to decontaminate the stables."

Am I the only one to smell a rat from that quote?

If it is supposed to be true the virus cant survive over 72 hours outside a horse then what is there to decontaminate?

And remember the 30 days is supposed to have elapsed since the last horse became sick?

So? does this mean the virus can remain infective in the horses area past 30 days?

bindi123
09-10-07, 01:31 PM
Laughing, hey Mindara, I think they are all asking themselves the same questions.......LMAO

Maybe they read their own website propaganda and are just as confused and befuddled as the rest of us.

Do you think they should ring the Chief Vet Officer.......he sounds like he has a handle on it......NOT!

Or just go straight to the Ministry? They know all about it.

Or maybe they should ring someone from Ausvetplan? Man those dudes know their shite?

Hey they could ring one of the TB people, they should know alot, and what they don't know they would have a friend in high places who might know? Maybe a media celeb or two that has shares in a few horses...?

I think THE answer is: They just don't know what the F it is, what the F it does, how long the F it stays, and where the F its gonna be next?

But the rest of the world are certainly getting some funnies out of it.......

Cheers,
Bindi

MichelleH
09-10-07, 01:37 PM
No rat ... just very anal racehorse people, I suspect. They are probably under pressure from DPI to show that they are not getting special priviledges! ha!

However, the important point is that they have OKed the use of the Fort Dodge vaccine. In other words, they are going to use the vaccine that will compromise their containment strategy. Is this the beginning of the end?

To everyone in the ole "recreational" sector. They are still talking about vaccinating "high value equestrian horses". Suggest you lobby your association very hard to ensure a very very large number of horses are considered "high value". Lets face it, how are they going to determine this value? The have vaccinated racehorses worth $500, so make a case for your horse being worth more than this. Hard to dispute at this point in time. Get lobbying!

Stirling
09-10-07, 02:15 PM
Ummm, I certainly don't disagree with the ANAL part in the same sentence as racehorse people... but it appears there is someone more important than them

http://www.cathnews.com/news/707/54.php

Might be a blessing cause the rate the racing industry is screwing over the rest of the horse industry in this country we're gonna need someone in high places to put in a good word for the rest of us...

MichelleH
09-10-07, 02:28 PM
I think the time has come to stop viewing the racehorse industry as the "enemy". They are the only people getting results. They are MAKING the Govt take action. Maybe the time has come to stop bickering and jump on their coat tails. I see more solution in following the racehorses than relying on the Govt to act!

Kann
09-10-07, 02:34 PM
I am waiting to see if it is true that we are importing a vaccine that does not appear to even cover the strain we have. I have just read another news report that says they are using the vaccine that is already here to vaccinate the NSW TB horses. So now I am quite confused...Sorry Michelle but I might need some proof rather then just your word that the racing industry is doing us all a good turn.

MichelleH
09-10-07, 02:59 PM
Hey I certainly am not endorsing them. It just seems that V'Landrys makes the decisions in this state. So far we have got bubkis from either Govt or "recreational" horse associations. I am just thinking that one ship has lifeboats and the other has very big holes ??!!?!?

mindari
09-10-07, 03:14 PM
already rang the dpi to ask just that question.

who do you talk to to have your horses considered.
according to the call taker there is no such department or contact.
was moved to the supervisior to be told the same.

quoted their own release.

no i must have mistaken the meaning.

is that what we used to call the run around.

maybe we should all register our horses for racing?

windfall for the ajc but at least they have the relevant department

Suzie
09-10-07, 04:07 PM
I don't think the racing industry has been helping anyone - even themselves. They felt they were saving their racing by high jacking all the vaccines but that plan seems to have back-fired! They are being infected faster than they are being vaccinated. Did someone at the DPI or whoever else thinks they know everything, forget to tell the staff at Broadmeadow Race Course that the vaccine was not a "silver bullet" the day they were vaccinated. Someone obviously decided bio security was no longer necessary. There are no other horses within wind distance in any direction except race horses. Someone stuffed up big time! And there is even rumours that they are considering giving them their booster early! Why not waste another lot of vaccine! Not to mention the vaccines they have wasted on thoroughbreds within the red zone that are not even in work, or planned to be in the near future! I think this monopoly of the situation by the racing industry has only distracted from the real issue at hand and wasted valuable time bowing to and pampering these people and their "valuable only while they are winning" horses.

MP
09-10-07, 08:24 PM
I receive emails from the QLD racing president; they are pushing for vaccinations of all mares and yearlings. Last week I thought it was going to happen, however after the latest update, I won’t hold my breath. Even enough I only have 3 TB's I was hoping to be included in the dishing out of the vaccinations.

The EFA doesnt seem to be doing much to help us. If they are I'd like to hear about it. Anyone with some inside info on what they are doing to help the members? I'm in QLD and can only see reprints from the DPI site on the EFAQ website.

Personally I am a little worried as I have two mares ready to foal at the end of the month, one of the mares lost a foal two years ago and nearly died herself. I have read amlourey's terrible story about little Toby and just shutter at the distress this terrible disease has caused so many people. I found myself looking at other customers at the produce store today. Sounds stupid however the store is not far from Tamborine where the infection has taken hold.

I can report no one looked like they carried EI! LOL

MP

Majestic Park
AKA Tracey

Kann
09-10-07, 11:41 PM
Well I don't know whats going on there is a different story this morning. No more mention of the Fort Dodge vaccine but the racing industry sure are as keen as hell to get there hands on the latest batch of vaccines! Why isn't Mr V'landys and co waiting for this other supposed vaccine that is apparently coming.....

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/08/2054172.htm?section=justin
Federal Agricultural Minister Peter McGauran says the latest batch of vaccines for horse flu to arrive in Australia will be used to try to further protect the racing industry.

Mr McGauran and ministers from three states met this afternoon to discuss how the 130,000 doses should be distributed.

About two thirds of the doses will go to horses in New South Wales, with the rest going to Queensland and Victoria.

Mr McGauran says the shipment will be a big boost to the racing industry, but there is a still a long way to go in fighting the disease.

"You can't be certain that we can contain and eradicate the disease, but we're not giving up on it just yet," he said.

"We are mindful that you must also have a policy of restoring racing and competition horses to their full use as soon as possible.