PDA

View Full Version : Is EI airborne from human to horse?

Shorty
10-10-07, 03:06 AM
Can anybody tell me if this is true? I've looked at as much information as possible, but cannot confirm it?

I'm a little concerned with the spring carnival coming up and interstate visitors. They have the bio-security measures in place where you can't touch the horses (which you can't normally anyway??), but still concerned a human can pass it onto the horses?

Thanks
Shorty

MichelleH
10-10-07, 03:15 AM
There are no hard facts about this, however, one of our earliest cases (in the week before lockdown) the only contact that could be identified was that a (probably) infected person used another sites fax machine. The second site then became infected. So it probably went horse-person-fax-person-horse.
Think about the most important thing at the Spring carnval. No! not the horses, no! not the fashion... but MONEY. So we could have horse-person-money-person-horse!!!

RonOldenbeuving
10-10-07, 03:34 AM
It is certainly transmittable from horse to human to horse, and stays active on hard surfaces for a fair time. It has been known to be airborne transmitted from horse to horse. It's not out of the realms of possibility that it can be transmitted airborne from human to horse. Most horse to horse airborne, however, appears to be where there is close contact anyway, or coughing horses, where the virus can achieve quite high speeds, increasing the distance it can cover.

Shorty
10-10-07, 03:42 AM
It's a little worrying as I work in the industry and know the melbourne metropolitan clubs are not sending out any information to any (local or interstate) visitors on EI precautions.

I would have thought the Victorian government/Racing fraternity would be doing everything in their power to avoid it coming down here. Only confirms my gut feeling they don't care about EI with the carnival going ahead.

Shorty