PDA

View Full Version : Resting paddocks after spreading manure

Jen2
07-04-01, 03:02 AM
In our larger paddocks we spread the manure left by horses with a heavy trailing thing behind the tractor rather than picking it up. However I never really know how long I should rest the paddock after doing it before putting horses back on it. Does anyone know?

j
07-04-01, 04:11 AM
Jen2,do the horse poop all over or do they have roughs where they leave their manure and dont graze,and grazes they leave clean?If this is the case ive been told to leave it as by spreading the manure right over the paddock the worms are spread too.If they do poop in certain areas it might be better to introduce dung beetles instead.cheer,J

Judith NZ
07-04-01, 04:31 AM
Yep Jen only spread if its real hot otherwise you will just spread the worms. If its real hot harrowing is fine and the paddock will be OK again in 2 weeks. Can also be done at frost times but in the winter the paddock should be rested for a month.

Autumn
07-04-01, 05:15 AM
J - keeping the worms down is something we all should consider but Ive been told that the worms only live in the big piles of manure and spreading it around will actually kill them - it also give birds, chooks etc access to clean the bugs up, and spreading poo around is great for the soil.

It is best if the paddock can be rested after spreading the manure.

Sue from Auckland
11-04-01, 05:50 AM
Depends on the life-cycle of the worm - theoretically, if you harrow, you want to rest the paddock for a longer time than the worm's life cycle - of course they all have a different live cycle so that's difficult. I aim for six weeks. What I really want is a terra-vac-type thingy and then I can suck up all the manure and worms and have lovely clean paddocks (thereby reducing the need for chemical worming too!!)

Welshie
11-04-01, 07:16 AM
I agree with Sue, should be rested for longer than the life-cycle of the worms. If you can't rest for that period, you shouldn't harrow - as mentioned above, horse paddocks have their 'roughs' where horses do their manure. They like to keep these areas separate from the other areas where they graze, doing their bit not to help the worm life-cycle. Harrowing just spreads the worms over all their eating areas.

Sally B (Guest)
11-04-01, 08:01 AM
Jen, rest for 6 weeks...and buy some dung beetles!!!

Jen2 (Guest)
11-04-01, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for your input :) Actually our dung beetles are pretty active little blighters but I do believe that spreading the manure over the paddock helps kill of worm lavae and fertilises the grass. Mainly because the paddocks where I have been doing this are WAY greener and healthier than the others so much so that to the naked eye the colour at the fence-line is noticeably different. I usually do wait about 6 weeks so I reckon I will stick with that. Also our spreader is a really heavy mo-fo made out of old grader blades (weighs a ton!) so it does a really good job of spreading and mushing up the manure as well as aerating the soil. It's my favourite farm implement! *g*

PS Though I would kill for a manure vacuumy thing......