PDA

View Full Version : Turn youngster out or keep him going?

HJ
07-04-01, 05:13 AM
I am wondering what to do with 2 1/2 year old WB/TB X. Recently broken in and going nicely. Round, forward and happy. (In a baby way of course)
Should I keep him in light work or turn him out? He has to move properties to be turned out and there are no facilities to work him at all at the spelling paddocks.
Suggestions please?

ironpony
07-04-01, 05:28 AM
Turn him out for the winter. Come spring/summer, bring him in, cover the work he has already done as a reminder/refresher course (slowly slowly) and then decide if he is psychologically, emotionally and physically ready for regular work. Be honest in this evaluation and it will pay off.

Good luck!

Jane
07-04-01, 05:36 AM
I'm another vote for turn him out. Let him grow up a bit, absorb what he's learnt, keep him thinking that it's fun not work. He'll be the better for it.

micarter
07-04-01, 05:38 AM
Turn him out.
bring him back in spring, give him between 10 and 20 hrs of work altogether. slowly as mentioned. turn him out again. Bing him in when he's four and start some more routine type work say for 3 to five months,turn him out, then when he's five you'll have a healthy happy basically educated fellow who is really ready to work.
:D just my opinion!!

Anna_TAS
07-04-01, 05:45 AM
In my opinion I would turn him out over winter, and just do some ground work with him, take him for walks out on the street and get him used to all the mundane stuff like walking past letter boxes (very sacry things they are!!!).
All those little things.

Jan Heine
07-04-01, 06:03 AM
Hi there hj - I have Irish horses and they are really just another "brand" of warmbloods (maybe a little, well ok a lot more brain *grin*) and as such it is my opinion that they can be treated similarly - my guys were recently broken as 2+ a bit year olds and they are now turned out to be horses again - they are not racing horses and they physically develop later than the thoroughbred so let them fully develop before putting pressure on them - that way you end up with a nice sound 19 year old+ horse (fingers crossed) - my advice is always to break them in and then turn them out and wait until their knees have closed up - then you can rest easy that you are not going to be the "cause" of problems later in life - next time your farrier or vet is there ask them to show you the simple "feel test" as to whether the knees have closed or not. Trust your horse and the person who broke it that the horse will remember the work he was taught - don't rush it! And all of that is simply my humble opinion! So good luck and enjoy our baby!

HJ
07-04-01, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys for all the replys. My original plan was to turn him out, but "popular" opinion is to keep him in work so he can go out in the spring.
So now we agree he should have a break, what about all those 3 (&4) year olds under saddle at Dressage with the Stars? And the ones we've been drooling over all day in Berni's report. They go really well. Are they super green and just ridden so well that they look like seasoned compeditors? They don't look like they have only had a couple of weeks work. Just an observation of course. Are we riding slower growing horses too much when they are young?

micarter
07-04-01, 09:56 AM
Yes! and of course it's going the same way as any other art form, it's being driven by the dollar. The sooner you get em going good the sooner you make some money out of them, then everyone sees the 'proffessionals' bringing them out young and thinks thats the thing to do. Hmph...

tc
07-04-01, 11:49 AM
You don't always see horses long after they have been ridden by professionals! Most end up so screwed up they don't make it to the top and this is all to do with winning and keeping up a professioanls profile. If they don't end up mental they suffer all sorts of health problems. I have experienced this through boarding for yearat a place which was owned by a professional and at one stage I was jealous of a 4 yr old going medium level (this horse is now a brood mare because of leg and other health problems not to mention who would want a foal from such a horse). Most horses were young and happy but too much pressure and competition recked them. I nearly fell into this trap but I was forced to not ride for 12 months and my young horse came back into work better than he went out.