PDA

View Full Version : how much of a sucker am i

digger001
19-10-07, 07:41 AM
sorry i just had to tell someone

once a week i get a 10Kg bag of brocken carrots from to supamarket
and replace the morning feed with them
well this morning was a laugh

i found myself hand feeding them to my new boy( 1 inch cube at a time that is )

nomaly i just chop them up and throw them in the bucket

but the new boy just looked at me like i was an idiot
(what's that orange stuff mar)

i kind expected him not to know what they were so i had a few hole ones in my pocket to temp him with
usualy after the first one or 2 they will got to the bucket and off they go

not my boy he kept coming back for more
(the ones in the bucket are scary mum)

what a sucker am i
i fed him a hole 2.5kgs of 1 inch diced carrots
the whole affair taking 1 hr making a whole 30min lat for work

pauper
19-10-07, 07:57 AM
Hi Digger got any recipes for carrot cake, or carrot soup :P ? hehehehe there are some horses who to our horror dont know what carrots or apples are, and sometimes they never get the taste for them!
i would suggest you just keep trying, he may learn to like them or you may just be serving your family a lot of carrot foods!
cheers Pauper

P.s carrots dont go well covered in chockie.

Forget love-- I'd rather fall in chocolate!

digger001
19-10-07, 08:13 AM
thanks for the sugestions pauper
i will have to give the carrot soup a go

hay thats not a bad idea
at least i could could just give him a straw if its soup!!! hmmmm lol

my other little girl didn't have a clue what carrots were
and it only took me 1 carrot to make her go head first into the bucket and not comeout till it was empty

i might just grate a few and stick them in his feed till his aquiers a taste for them i think,

i can't own a horses that dosn't like carrots
carrots cut a whole feed out of the week and somthing tells me im going to need that extra cash this year for hay

i can just see me now
"that's it lady take your horse back i don't like him he won't eat carrots"

pauper
19-10-07, 08:29 AM
ROFLMAO

Digger i want to be there to see the ladies face :D
wonder if that excuse would hold up in a court of law ;-)
Let us know how you go with the grating.
cheers Pauper

digger001
19-10-07, 08:46 AM
i am now a fortune teller

i can see me with lots of big holes in my fingers for quite a while!!!

should go pritty well in court
i didn't pay for him and have no recepts so as far as the law go's
hes still hers right!!!

actualy shes a realy good friend of mine
and i just took him of her hands so she didn't have to shoot him as he was suposed to be her OH's little project to train him so they can use him as the feed carter insted of as lion food which is how he got there(at the zoo) in the first place and they got devocied leving her with a untouched 4yo in the padock and next to no horse knowledge

Suzie Q
19-10-07, 08:53 AM
LOL Digger, we are all suckers aren't we?

Just the instructor in me. For newbies and others reading this. Carrots should not be 'diced'. They should be cut long ways, to reduce the chance of the horse choking.

:)

ss_storm
19-10-07, 09:07 AM
That's a pretty great idea actually! If only my horse would eat carrots...Tried to give him a couple of old ones out of the fridge the other day and the next morning they were still on the ground all wrinkled up. Lol.
Some horses can be funny about treats, especially if they have never been given any before. When I got my horse he refused to eat anything apart from "normal" horse feed. After a while we managed to get him to eat bread and sometimes apple, he just doesn't seem too fussed with it though!

digger001
19-10-07, 09:27 AM
thanks for the tip suzie Q
that should cut an hour or 2 out of my pre time for sure

i've always diced carrots
because of me only owning geriactric for some time it seemed to be easier for them to eat
however i never even thought about them chocking on them

i make an oath to always cut my carrots long ways from now on "lol"

yep a wise old man once told me
replacing 1 meal a week with items such as carrots and/or apples
alows the horse to clean out there digestive tract from unnatural commercial foods aswell as giving them a well needed boost of natural vitamins and minerals
(not recomended for horses that are stabeled(because they will naturally eat grass to accomodate there empty tummys) or prone to boughts of collic )
it also give a well needed helping hand to the wallet
as a 10kg bag of brocken carrots only cost me $4
as oposed to $37 for a bag of oaten charf

digger001
19-10-07, 09:33 AM
ss storm
i got my little bella to eat bread by getting a cob loaf
you know the round ones and leaving it out on the brench overnight
so it went crusty on the out side
she had a ball with it kicking it aroud the paddock picking it up and tossing it and then one day she grabed hold just tight enough to pull a big chunk off and boy was it yummie she expecialy like the insides and just like a true toddler she leavs her crusts so she still has somthing to play with

pauper
19-10-07, 09:36 AM
Hi Digger cant say i blame you trying to cut costs.
Many many years ago my Dad worked on a farm and during one particularly bad drought, they fed the animals including the horses potatoes, pumpkins and whatever else they could get their hands on,
as there was no grass to make hay from :(
hopefully it improves for everyone.

Suzie Q
19-10-07, 10:10 AM
It also means that you can cut the carrots over her feedbin Digger. So you don't have to do it inside and then take them out! Do it very carefully. No cutting of fingers allowed!

Horses can only digest what they have the bacteria to digest. This only survives for ..... oh let's say 48 hours. So if you are replacing a feed once a week, it would be better to give them some carrots with each feed during the week to keep their bacteria alive, so as they get all the goodness with the one feed a week, rather than using it to make bacteria that will die in 2 days time anyway.

Phew: Did any of that make sense??? LOL!!!

digger001
19-10-07, 12:14 PM
yeah sorry i do feed carrots also apples during the week as well

sorry it comes as socond nature to me now
i forget to point those little things out sometimes

Suzie Q
20-10-07, 05:16 AM
No worries Digger. I just like to point them out for anyone thinking it is a good idea and want to follow suit.

With feeding the rule is little and often. The same as with most things to do with horses.

I think it is a better idea to divide the carrots and apples up into 7 days and give them with each feed. Especially with older horses, their tummies do not like sudden changes of feed.

They cope with it, up until the day they do not.

Jesssica
20-10-07, 05:54 AM
I always throw my carrots all around their paddock - that way they spend hours walking around picking at them naturally rather than standing at the feedbin that whole time. I actually think they enjoy having new carrots landing all around them! (once they get used to them being thrown around with the occassional one hitting them!). One horse I have actually walks (sometimes trots!) around trying to be the first to get to the latest handful of carrots that lands to only grab a bite then on the the next landing location! If I stop he stops and watches me as if to say 'where next?'. Pretty funny.
The dogs love it as well as they usually grab one and spend the next 10 minutes playing tag with it.

Suzie Q
20-10-07, 06:01 AM
Bahahahahaha Jessica. I can see that in my mind's eye!!!

CateH
20-10-07, 06:12 AM
Hi, I also get a $5 bag which is about 10kg I think.... and they're small but unbroken - very easy to feed whole and the horses looooove them. I get mugged just coming in the gate!

I like the idea of hiding them around the place.... could keep them entertained for hours!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/Cateh/horsebar1.gif

Horse sense - something that horses have that stops them betting on humans.

hailz_777
20-10-07, 06:55 AM
>That's a pretty great idea actually! If only my horse would
>eat carrots...Tried to give him a couple of old ones out of
>the fridge the other day and the next morning they were
>still on the ground all wrinkled up. Lol.
>Some horses can be funny about treats, especially if they
>have never been given any before. When I got my horse he
>refused to eat anything apart from "normal" horse feed.
>After a while we managed to get him to eat bread and
>sometimes apple, he just doesn't seem too fussed with it
>though!

mine is the same, he has started to enjoy apples though

digger001
20-10-07, 10:09 AM
try grating it works !!!!

i've had sucsess
i garated a few carrots for him this morning and mixed it into his feed
he went straight for it insted of pushing the bucket around a bit first
(i'd say he was investigating the big hard chuncks of orange stuff)
and you should have seen the old gilrs face when she finished hers and there was no extra carrots weighting for her in his bucket