PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Used Saddle into Australia

Tinkerbelle
22-10-07, 04:33 AM
Does anyone know of any restrictions there is when you bring a saddle in from the USA due to the E1 virus.
Thanks in Advance.
Tinki.

jamie
22-10-07, 05:16 AM
Hi,
We brought a used saddle in from the States just prior to the EI outbreak, and we've got three sitting at quarantine in Sydney at the moment, all of which have come from Germany, and the quarantine regulations for importing second hand saddles are the same now as they were before the outbreak. Basically, if you can get a declaration from the saddle manufacturer stating that the saddle isn't made from or stuffed with any prohibited substances, such as untreated wool or straw then the saddle is just checked at quarantine for any bits of foreign matter (straw, dirt, etc) and then it's allowed to leave quarantine pretty much right away. But, if you can't arrange a manufacturer's declaration, then the saddle needs to be treated with Gamma Radiation before it can be released from quarantine. In that case, you pay a fee of $40+ and the whole process usually takes 3-4 weeks from first arrival at quarantine to when your saddle arrives at your door. At the moment, though, things are taking a bit longer than usual because the place that treats the saddles for Sydney Quarantine had a fire a few weeks ago so all of their treatments are running a bit behind schedule. Re shipping, if you need to find out about that, your options will be USPS, UPS or Fedex. USPS was the cheapest, but not by much. Our saddle from the States was shipped via UPS and was totally trouble free and really quick, AND unlike all of our saddles since, it wasn't held up at quarantine which was great.
Good luck!
Kelly.

carson
22-10-07, 05:37 AM
Does this treatment in quarantine dammage the saddle in any way?

Tinkerbelle
22-10-07, 06:11 AM
Kelly,Thanks for all the information. What if I am hand bringing it in as part of my luggage?
Thanks.
Tinki

Hazel
22-10-07, 06:21 AM
If the saddle is 2nd hand, they will use the gamma on it at quarantine, I bought in a 2nd hand saddle a couple of years ago, and it went through the rigours of of quarantine, and it is fine.

Goodluck

jamie
22-10-07, 07:26 AM
Hazel, I'm glad to hear that from someone who's been through having a saddle treated 'first hand' already 'cos because our first one somehow fluked not being sent through for treatment, none of ours have actually arrived home after being treated yet. I did speak to the people at the treatment plant though, and they said they've done a lot of saddles over the years and none have ever had any problems as a result of the treatment.

Tinkerbelle, we haven't brought any in as hand luggage ourselves so far, but I know of a couple of people who've done it a few times. I know the regulations are a bit different (easier, from memory?), but I'd say your best bet really to make sure you get the correct info about bringing one in as hand luggage is to get onto quarantine themselves, as well as checking out their website. But, if you call quarantine, make sure you get put through to the correct department, because otherwise your info might still not be 100% (from personal experience ;-)).

Kelly.

jamie
24-10-07, 12:49 AM
Just thought I'd let anyone know who was still a bit concerned about possible damage from the gamma radiation done on saddles in quarantine that our second imported saddle (our first one treated with the gamma) arrived here today, and after looking it all over there's no sign whatsoever of any change in it since the radiation, the stitching, leather, everything, looks 100% fine, which is a big relief to us and I figured good to know for anyone thinking of importing one.
Kelly.

liaison2002
24-10-07, 01:02 AM
Hi Jamie,
yes, they are all right. Saddle will be gamma radiated on arrival and I guess, the inspectors will do that with all horse gear arriving into Australia these days.
I had a saddle from Germany shipped to Australia, got radiated, no problems, saddle is fine. Took about 3-4 weeks after its initial arrival in Australia.
Cheers