PDA

View Full Version : Seatone/Green Lip Mussel for joints

jw
08-04-01, 03:07 PM
Have just heard of this, evidently good for horses, dogs and humans with slight arthritis. Any one else used it or heard it.

Anyone from NZ? Thats where I have heard it is used more.

Rolly
09-04-01, 01:39 AM
I know of somebody, by association, who was doing a study on the green lipped muscle. trying to isolate the compound that actually was benificial to joints. The upshot of the study was that the compound that created the benifit was in such tiny tiny amounts in the natural form, in order for it to be benificial, the person/animal taking it had to be particularly sensitive to it. I guess this is similar for many natural products, there is no denying that some people get benifit from some things, and others dont seem to get any response at all. I suppose this is where the drug companies come in. They have the money, and reseach facillities to isolate the active compound, then reproduce it either synthetically or by use of genetic engineering or whatever, and thereby produce a compound that can be benificial to a larger amount of the population. ie, not just those folk who by a whim of nature, are genetically more sensitive to it. So, all I can tell you, is that the active compound in the green lipped muscle can be very benificial to individuals who are particularly sensative to it, and others will have very little response. Oh, gosh I sound a bit "soap boxy", sorry. Hope this is some help to you.

jw (Guest)
10-04-01, 07:11 AM
Thanks for that,

I have a "sort of" scientific background so am often sceptical about "natural" therapies. I do not doubt they work but how, why and what and tests are also needed.

tc (Guest)
10-04-01, 11:46 AM
I know that it is good for arthritis but it depends on the quantity taken. I know for a fact they are putting it in dog food but the amount which is actually in the dog food will not give any benefits!!