PDA

View Full Version : good management of horses

md (Guest)
12-04-01, 12:35 AM
The buyer beware thread got me thinking, although I agree there are alot of shark dealers out there and we need to always buy with our eyes open. I do feel however that alot of horses that are purchased and then found to have a problem, or horses that are deemed to have a problem in the first place are perhaps being overlooked as potential suitable mounts. For instance a friend of mine quite a few years ago was looking to purchase a possible talented showjumper who had a previous severe injury to its hind fetlock. Instead of writing the horse of it was x-rayed and the vet felt that with good management the horse could be kept sound for comptetion. The horse is now EFA B grade. I have a horse here that has a concussion problem, plus has OCD changes in his hocks. Now as long as he is shod properly, is ridden on good going and we do give him Cartrophen. We never have a days problem. I think we tend to forget that no horse is problem free, all could do with a little insight into the management of their soundness. How many of you take asprin, anti inflamatories, other pain killers etc make sure you wear comfortable foot wear, all just to get through the day. Most of us expect our horses to work hard, with little or no thought to the consequences. How many of us properly warm up and down. Cool our horses legs properley etc? Go work in an eventing stable, or a racing stable, it is quite an eye opener the lengths that these trainers go to, to keep their winners sound and healthy. What do others think? Cheers

ALLIE (Guest)
12-04-01, 01:28 AM
MD - couldn't agree more. Horses are just like ourselves.

If I was vetted I certainly wouldn't vet clean. Too many old sporting injuries and poor conformation. My body needs management to stay sound. Plenty of exercise, weight training, cardiovascular work, proper nutrition and a great relationship with our physio keeps hubby and I sound.

We choose the same approach to our horses. Spend the money and the time proactively managing their health and unsoundness is rare.

We have one we purchased knowing she had arthritic changes. Still going at age 22. The other has flat feet and is prone to concussion. A quality farrier and modified fitness programme excluding hard surfaces ensures it is managable.

Lots of riders have a poor understanding of their own fitness and health management - particularly nutrition, cardio, muscle and joint issues. I think this is why "fix it" products do so well in the horse industry. They don't know how to prevent or manage the problems so they have to "fix it".

rosalie (Guest)
13-04-01, 11:11 AM
Hm interesting point, so what you are saying is that some horses deemded unsound for one person could be perfectly suitable for somebody else? I myself take anti inflamatories for arthristis, but nobody would know I had a problem, yes I agree, what is a sound horse, my oinion something suited to the job at hand. My farrier said to me the other day that he sold a polo cross pony who if he feet were not shod properly was completely lame, told the new owners what needed to be down etc... two weeks later yep horse was dead lamb new farrier thought he knew better and cut the horse so far back he went sore. People need to be more aware of horses limitations so that their potential talent can be brought to fruition.

TMS (Guest)
14-04-01, 01:41 AM
I purchased a horse slight petal bone ostioitis (sorry for the spelling). He was just what I had been looking for, he had won hack classes at the royal etc. The owner was really shocked when the vet discovered this ( Because he raced I had xrays done). I told her that I was not going to buy the horse and left it at that.

A week later the owner phoned me to say that she could not bring herself to try to flog the horse off knowing that it had this problem. I agreed to buy the horse at a reduced price after talking to my vet and farrier who both assured me that with good preventitive treatment this horse could go for years, and because of his temprament I Knew I could give him to someone as a pleasure horse if he ever whent lame.

I try to work him on good going, my farrier has changed the shape of his feet to take pressure of the petal bone. Eighteen months later and I do not regret it for a minute.

In short he was suitable for my purpose low key dressage and hacking probably would not be suitable for eventing. Just because a vet wont pass a horse does not mean that you should automatically discount it. Some vets never pass a horse, they tell you what is wrong with it and let you make up your own mind this is for one reason ( TO COVER THEIR ASSES)

DavidO (Guest)
16-04-01, 11:22 AM
I bet if we were to vet check a number of top horse they would fail, this then asks the question of what is sound.
Vet checks are good, but many people take them to literally and write off many a suitable mount as unsound. What is sound for one discipline may not be for another. I bet not many Dressage or junping horses would not be deemed sound as eventers. Food for thought.