PDA

View Full Version : Neck dislocation

Abbey (Guest)
13-04-01, 02:05 AM
Has anyone ever had a foal put out of alignment his/her neck? Were they able to be shown after having it minipulated back into place or was it permanent damage with no future?
Was the neck very swollen and if so how long did it take for the swelling to go down?

Lou (Guest)
13-04-01, 03:41 AM
I have not had any experience with a foal having to have its neck manipulated. But I had a thorouhgbred who was sacked as a racehorse because he was too slow. It turns out two vertabrae in his neck were nearly fused together. We had to get him put to sleep for the manipulation, but after it was done he was a different horse (one of the fastest I have even ridden). As I said, I do not have any experience with a foal in this situation, but my 6 year old was much improved by the manipulation.

Good luck with it....

Janice (Guest)
17-04-01, 02:14 PM
I have had a foal suffer neck dislocation when she flipped over at 2 months. You could feel the swelling and dislocation and she actually held her head and neck to one side. I massaged the area gently for several days before i could feel improvement and kept it up for several weeks. She improved greatly and now runs straight and true and holds her head and neck well. Unfortunately she suffered other injuries which has prevented her from being shown but she is only a yearling and we hope she will continue to improve. I spoke to a vet who is also a chiropractor and he said he preferred to leave foals to corrrect themselves as they are so immature. I recommend massage but get someone with experience as you could cause further damage and keep the massage up.

Abbey (Guest)
18-04-01, 12:47 AM
Thanks Janice, the vet is wanting to xray first to see how much damage is done and the manipulate it back into place. There is a lot of swelling to go down first.

Jet (Guest)
18-04-01, 02:35 PM
I had a friend who had a colt foal also flip himself over at about 2 months old. The Vet at first said leave him and see how he goes. After 6 weeks of getting around with his head slightly twisted around at a odd angle he was manipulated. This fixed the problem until he was 12 months old and he had to be manipulted again. At about 2 years old it was noticed that he couldn't hold his head straight and always held his head slightly turned out. His front legs where showing deformities from the way he moved to compensate for his head angle. Another go with manipulation which really didn't improve him. After discussions with the Vet it was decided to put him down and it was felt that he wouldn't ever be a safe mount and his quality of life was going down hill.