PDA

View Full Version : Re-waterproofing canvas rugs?

Wet Horsey (Guest)
14-04-01, 02:49 AM
I'd be grateful for any recommendations on the best way to, and products to use, for re-waterproofing winter canvas rugs.

abyjo (Guest)
14-04-01, 02:57 AM
There is a product on the market that you paint onto the canvas, sorry can't remember the name. Your local saddlery should have it.

Susan (Guest)
14-04-01, 03:58 AM
There is one called "Proof Cote", don't know what it is like as I have not used it. But you paint that one on and it looks easy.

Annabelle (Guest)
14-04-01, 05:54 AM
Dry Cote or Rug Seal, both at Horseland

jp (Guest)
14-04-01, 10:25 AM
Have to say have tried Rug Seal - cost a bit and followed instructions to the letter - found it useless!!

chinners
14-04-01, 12:18 PM
We use a spray (I can't remember the name, sorry) that is used for waterproofing canvas tents. It works. You can buy it from any camping supplies store, or possibly a hardware store. Possibly cheaper than buying similar product from a horsie store.

j (Guest)
14-04-01, 01:40 PM
Another tip is to rub a candle along any seams,as they often leak,and the wax will seal them:)

cas (Guest)
17-04-01, 02:58 AM
I've used "Jay eel seal", I think that's what it's called , made by joseph liddy. Very effective going on to last another winter without having to reproof.

Autumn
18-04-01, 04:43 AM
I use Dry Seal on my rugs - it is expensive but then most waterproofing agents are. You have to brush it on on a hot day as its waxy like and needs the warmth to soak in. I found it to be ok.
A.