PDA

View Full Version : COMPETITIVE PONY RIDERS READ THIS

Pony (Guest)
14-04-01, 07:31 AM
Would you be interested in a pony association/federation where you could compete your pony in dressage, showjumping and eventing against other ponies of the same height/level?
I know there is Pony Club, but ponies also compete against horses, and it is more of a preparation for riders to later enter EFA grades on a horse.
Please tell us what you think.
E-mail address: cellworld@optusnet.com.au

stroudy
14-04-01, 11:45 AM
Is this only for children or can adults who ride ponies enter?

Pejelo (Guest)
14-04-01, 01:09 PM
Please say this is also for WA as my 11yo son wants to compete dressage & this is just what we'd love to see.

Susan (Guest)
14-04-01, 01:37 PM
Pony competitions are very popular in Europe and especially in the UK. Ponies are classed as 14.2hh and under and the rider age limit is 16 and under. In the UK classes are held for 12.2hh, 13.2hh and 14.2hh with competitions being hotly contested. Almost as exciting and competitive as the adults. Good luck.

shilara2000
14-04-01, 01:43 PM
sounds like a great idea, let us know when and where

EW
15-04-01, 10:01 AM
I'm from NZ, and are you talking of something similar we have over here?? I'm not familar with your systems (ie PC and the grades), but what we have over here is basically the pony SJ divided into jump height catergories, ranging from 90 cm to 1.20ish + up to Pony GP. They do not compete against the horses but to compete at official events you must be registered with NZEF to collect prize money. The same goes for Pony Dressage, at the moment there are ponies competing at Elementary level (I believe this is the test for our dressage POY), there are seperate classes for ponies, but there are some where they compete against horses. Once again, at official events they are registered with NZEF. Same goes for our Show Hunters (over jumps). The majority of eventing is done at PC level, but there are seperate events run at Horse Trials which cater to training and Open level pony eventing (sometimes pretraining). Sorry to blab on, maybe just an insight into how another country runs their pony competitions.I think your idea is great and good luck in the future with it. BTW - riders under 17 may only compete on ponies over here, apart from our newly introduced (well I guess copied) newcomers system in showing, where adults may ride them.

=>

=>

pony dressage crazy (Guest)
16-04-01, 10:04 AM
i would love this to happen but please allow adults to ride the ponies as well. Presume you mean ponies go to 14.2h and please put the level of dressage beyond grade 5 pony club so these kids can really go through the grades and prepare to ride advanced dressage as they also learn to ride and train their ponies/ I'mm all for it as per Maree Tompkinsons article in The Horse magazine a few months ago as mentionedby another guest it is hugh in Europe. I hope also that you are talking Australia wide ,as you can see interset already from WA and I'm Victorian. Go For It As Fast As You Can Please. my email is comonella@bigfoot.com

stroudy (Guest)
16-04-01, 12:08 PM
Yes the adults are a MUST!!!!!!!

micarter
17-04-01, 11:23 AM
Ive already emailed you but if it didn't get there my email is micarter@horsemagazine.com

lauren
17-04-01, 12:24 PM
ok. i now that people are not going to be happy with what i say, but well hear goes. Personlly i wouldnt want to compete againts adults. Im only 13 and i hate competeing againts adults in open classes bacause im on a 16.2 T.B im never againts people my own age. Which is bad in most cases because the judges like the adults more than kids. Also i think it is wrong for an adult to be riding a 12.3- 13.3 pony. Most adults are to big for them. I mean im a skinny 13 year and im to big for a 13.3.
Anyway its just my thought and i would love to see this happen. But the ages and hight would have to come into it.

Susan (Guest)
17-04-01, 02:40 PM
Sorry to all concerned but I agree with Lauren on this one. In the UK all the pony classes are only contested by kids....no adults. I also do not think it is fair. Adults have their ARC's and EFA if required.

Welshie
18-04-01, 12:28 AM
Totally disagree with Lauren on this one. Can't see why a 4'11'' adult shouldn't be able to ride a 13.2hh Cob in a competition. The kids can ride 16.2hh hacks if they want to, why can't small adults ride ponies? I believe children are well catered for in dressage, eventing and showjumping through the PC system so have every opportunity to compete against fellow children. At shows they have their junior riding comps.
I am 5'4" and ride Cobs of 14-14.2hh, why shouldn't I be allowed to compete on them - certainly they are up to carrying my weight (they can carry a 6' man comfortably) and I don't look too big on them. There's no way you're going to get me on some loopy 16hh horse just so I can compete in dressage, when I can ride a safe, reliable Cob.

goldy
18-04-01, 03:42 AM
This would be fantastic, and I think there should be opportunities for adults to compete on their ponies. This could mean a separate class; or everyone competing in the same class, but 'AR' (Adult Rider) written on the test sheet/score sheet so that the winners could be divided into junior and adult divisions. What do others think about this?

Jacki
18-04-01, 04:31 AM
As an adult who rides ponies, I would have to agree. Love this idea of showjumping, dressage etc.

If you are so worried about us competing against "kids" then simply divide some of the classes by age as well!!

I spent all my formative years a ponyclub and really miss it (in my state you were kicked out when you turned 21). This is a fantastic idea, as you all probably know there is nothing out there at the moment that caters for all us adults on ponies who are too old for ponyclub and who want to do much more than hacking, breeding and showing!

clara
22-04-01, 07:27 AM
Thank you everyone who replied.

In answer to your questions,
Adults will be able to ride with height/weigth restrictions.
We need representatives in each state so if you are interested in volunteering please e-mail me at cellworld@optusnet.com.au.
If everything goes well we will have competitions before the end of the year.
If you want information or have any ideas/suggestions, please e-mail me.

Cat amonst the pigeons. (Guest)
22-04-01, 09:10 AM
What is meant by height/weight restrictions?

Louise M (Guest)
24-04-01, 10:33 AM
I think it's a great idea. I competed heavily on a big pony (14h) right up until I went to uni. Unfortunately, I could only ride her in unofficial competitions, and the only "pony" event for the year was at the Vic Champs. I note it wasn't in the program this year. The worst thing about it was having to compete against 17hh warmbloods and nearly always coming 2nd, even though I knew my pony was going just as well, probably better. (I'm sure she moved better than some of them! *grin*)
Now she's retired and I have her lovely foal who I'm tempted to keep and ride for myself, but I'd rather compete in dressage than take him to shows. It's just not my scene. I'm sure there are lots of other pony riding adults who'd love to take their ponies to compete in official dressage with opportunities to compete above novice level. Naturally there would have to be restrictions. I don't think I'd ever want to see an adult riding anything smaller than a 13.2 pony. Certainly no smaller than 13h.

kidsonponies (Guest)
24-04-01, 12:13 PM
Split the age groups, children shouldn't have to compete against adults - it is too much pressure for them to have to be as good as adults mentally and physically regardless of big pony or small pony. Children have to be 12 years to ride galloways at Royals, and 17 years to ride hacks in hack classes, the only opportunity they have is the ponies. So just have adult and child separate competition.
Great idea for open dressage and jumping for children on ponies, as per Maries article, and with what is going on in the international scene.

Kingscoteholdings
24-04-01, 03:57 PM
Well, what an absolute delight to see that there are others out there who agree with adults riding ponies. I come from a family that is very lacking in height. The tallest being 5ft the eldest being 38yo ranging in weight from 42kg to 50kg. We breed and show our ponies and also have become members of the local riding club. However, as others have mentioned, it is very difficult for us to compete against bigger horses when we maybe riding 12hh ponies. We are constantly having dressage lessons and would be elated should this idea take off. I agree with the children not competing against the adults (eventhough a lot of them would probably give us a run for our money) but I don't agree with having restrictions on the size of the pony we ride. I would like to think that our smaller ponies can also compete as we are the ones that bring them on from scratch and hopefully all of us are intelligent enough to realise when we are overmounting our ponies. Absolutely wonderful idea, and look forward to an update

Susan (Guest)
25-04-01, 12:03 AM
To Jacki, I thought Adult Riding Clubs were formed to cater for the adults. I call it the adult pony club. I understand your point of view and I suppose it is hard to find the ideal solution to this idea.

Trish (Guest)
25-04-01, 05:50 AM
I think this is the most wonderful idea - I have a daughter who is turning 11 and would love nothing more than a childs dressage comp - I have heard that Pony Dressage will be available in June in Qld however a great all round Pony competition would be appreciated

T (Guest)
25-04-01, 07:19 AM
OK, here is my contribution . . . . . being a small adult, yes I would like to take my ponies and small galloways into serious dressage competition. I also don’t want to force a child to compete against me either. I think there is room for a pony scheme which can provide for both senior and junior competition. I do also agree with the statements about not wanting to see large adults riding such small mounts however I hope that Clara’s suggestion of height/weight restrictions is not intended for the rider as I feel that this has serious discrimination implications. Surely a scoring scheme which allows for marks to be allocated for ‘suitability of horse and rider’ will help to discourage such occurrances. I fully support such a pony scheme and am willing to help anyone in getting such a scheme running here in WA.

Clara (Guest)
26-04-01, 06:46 AM
There is a lot of debate about children vs. adults and height/weight restrictions.
I agree that it might be discriminating to put height and weight restrictions on the rider but how would you like to see an 1,80m, 90kg, well-built man on a 12.2hh pony?
Therefore I think that ponies 12.2hh and under should be ridden by people 1,55m and under, weighing maximum 50kg. Ponies 12.2hh to 13.2hh should be ridden by people not exceeding 1,65m, and ponies 13.2hh-14.2hh by people not exceeding 1,75m.
Also, I think having children and adult in seperate classes is probably a good idea.
Please let me know if you think it is fair, and to get this scheme under way we will need more volunteers!
E-mail address: cellworld@optusnet.com.au

stroudy
26-04-01, 11:48 AM
And in a perfect world we would all love to be built to these specifications!

T (Guest)
27-04-01, 03:34 AM
Count me in for support of a pony scheme however I am still to be convinced on height/weight restrictions of riders. I would find it very hard to tell a 14/15 year old girl that is 1.66m tall that although she is eligible to ride her robust 13.2 hh Australian Pony in the hack ring, cannot compete in this scheme because she is 1cm too tall. I would also hate to be a ground steward that not only has to put the pony through a swab and have a measuring stick thrown over it to satisfy random tests or protests but ask a child to step under the measuring stick themselves. You couldn’t apply such restrictions to only adults as once again, this could be construed as discrimination. Such rules are difficult to keep black and white – they are only varying shades of grey.

On the other hand, I understand and agree with what such rules would be in aid of. I am not sure how else it can be controlled other than having a marking scheme where undermounting is able to be reflected in the final score and placings. I don’t want to sound like a ‘downer’ but just want to highlight some issues that such a scheme may raise.

Fair bump – play on . . . . .

Welshie
27-04-01, 05:57 AM
How about being the steward who has to bring out the scales and weigh the riders?
No, I think height and weight restrictions are ridiculous. If you put a 5'4" rider on a 14hh Riding Pony, their legs would probably show beneath the belly of the pony, on a 14hh Cob, they wouldn't. You can't restrict riders on the height of ponies when there are such variations in the bone (and width) of ponies of the same height. On Cobs, the rider's legs go out then down.
Likewise a heavy rider would look ridiculous on a Riding Pony but not on a Cob of equal height. Lets get this into persective.
Also, in the interests of producing better ponies for children to ride, it is important for adults to be able to ride them at competitions in the early years, to iron out any problems that only arise in such situations.

Lissa (Guest)
27-04-01, 12:29 PM
What an absolutely fantastic thread to read. Pony dressage would be welcomed with open arms by myself and many others I know. I do however have concerns regarding the possible height/weight ruling. Will we have children who are striving to keep their weight down just so they can compete on their beloved neddy, now appearing annorexic. Will they be spending time in the sauna prior to weighing in at ringside. Imagine no placings being announced until correct height and weight was called. One concern has been shown regarding children having to compete against adults mentally and physically. In my opinion children of today are more than capable of holding their own against the adults (more often than not coming up trumps) but if this is a concern then have childrens sections and adults sections but do not penalise both adults and children because they are too tall, too short, too skinny or too fat as people are not always in control of their physical appearance - it is usually what nature has blessed them with.

A great idea would be the one suggested by "T" (post 23)who said that a scoring scheme allowing for marks to be allocated for "suitability of horse and rider", maybe this scheme should be in place regardless of whether the adults and children are competing in different sections or not. Therefore overmounted AND undermounted combinations could be penalised.

I eagerly look forward to updates as they become available.