PDA

View Full Version : What feed supplement to use?...........hmmmmmm

DM (Guest)
16-04-01, 02:03 PM
Ive got a 15hh horse in a 9 acre paddock with average pasture,
who is only worked lightly once a week. Feeding 1 biscuit of hay daily, but I want to feed a supplement to make sure hes getting all his vitamins/nutrients.....any suggestions pls?

DM (Guest)
17-04-01, 12:27 AM
I was thinking Mitavite Promita or something similar?
Any advice greatly appreciated. :-)

Patsy (Guest)
17-04-01, 12:46 AM
What about giving him a mineral block so he can take it when he wants it? Can't see the point in feeding him, unless he's underweight, as he's not doing the work to warrant it. In a 9 acre paddock, he'll know where the good grass is, and you're giving him hay, so sounds like any feed you give him, will be wasting money.

DM (Guest)
17-04-01, 01:18 AM
Forgot to say he has a mineral/salt block and never touches it!
Loves carrots & molasses though!

I was thinking just half a scoop of a premixed feed
supplement or something to help his feet/coat too?
Which one though?

Silver (Guest)
17-04-01, 03:00 AM
I'm with Patsy - he doesn't really need anything extra. Aussie horses have to be the most overfed in the world and then people write on the forum going 'he bucked me off today' and 'my mare is really flighty...'. No wonder chums!

Caitlin (Guest)
17-04-01, 07:41 AM
DM,I use Livamol as a supplement for my mare.She loves the anniseed taste and looks great.In the past I have used Groom but found it totally changed her temperament - sounds crazy,but as soon as I replaced it with her usual Livamol she went back to her easy going old ways.I have also used Promita and was very happy with it also.

Amber (Guest)
17-04-01, 08:04 AM
My horse is in a well grassed paddock with constant access to hay, so as a result is a bit plump to say the least :)
I feed him CalPlus mixed in a with a scoop of wheaten chaff daily, as I am obsessive about healthy feet, and the chaff is no different to hay really.
I must admit this horse has always had the most gorgeous coat though, without any other supplements.. and he is wormed every 6/7 weeks.

Flocky
17-04-01, 01:13 PM
A good supplement is Flocatin Red, or Fermano H...

It's good to mix into feed, or even just feed it with the hay...

Jomac
17-04-01, 09:33 PM
I wasnt going to reply, but I just can't help myself. :-)

If this horse isn't interested in the mineral block you have left for him, he's obviously getting enough from the grazing he has. Grass contains vitamins & minerals, although the quantity and quality varies, which is what we base our pasture rating on. The horse gets the requirements from grass & weeds, and if you spend time watching them graze, you will see them actually lick areas of dirt which is their vitamin/mineral tablet.

You are obviously determined to feed something to this horse, which is a shame as he is lucky enough to have natures intended diet at his fingertips, which is probably why he is doing so well.

What's that old saying...."if it aint broke, don't fix it.."

eMa
17-04-01, 09:39 PM
i agree with the above posters .. however.. some soils, and therefore pastures do lack in certain minerals. For example, in WA the soil lacks selenium and this has to be fed as an additive.. however, NOW most premade feeds come with extra selenium already added so we have to be careful not to add anymore and give them selenium poisoning!!

anyway, what i am trying to say is that it is possible for pasture to be lacking in certain minerals, vitamins etc.

my horse was always fed a mineral supplement called SE stud mix, which contained very similar amounts of components to Ferramo at a quarter of the price..

maybe you could have your soil/pasture tested by ag. department?

i would not think he would need any extra feed as such, and my not need any extra minerals etc.. but worth talking to other's in your area re soil type etc.

DM (Guest)
17-04-01, 11:12 PM
Thanks firstly for all the replies.
Yes, hes not doing a great amount of work, so probably the hay & pasture is adequate, as hes maintaining his weight for now.
I was concerned that he wasnt getting enough vitamins etc
for his coat & feet though. (his coats rather dull)

Perhaps I will feed some Biotin with 1/2 scoop chaff?
Can you buy it alone or is it mixed with something else
like Cal Plus etc?

Amber (Guest)
17-04-01, 11:30 PM
You can buy Cal Plus with Biotin in it, just look at the label.. :)

Autumn
18-04-01, 12:10 AM
As someone else suggested the best way to see if you horse needs a suppliment is to look at him.

Most horses do well on plain pasture but being an avid gardener and knowing a bit about soils I believe that most Australian soils are very poor in nutrients so I feed suppliments. My 16yr old TB has never looked or performed better and my 23yr old shetland pony is also in very good health.

My pasture is mainly 80% kiku (spelling?) as we are on the coast but there is also clover and other mixed grasses. I feed suppliments of dolomite, yellow sulphur, magnesium, copper and kelp.

A.

DM (Guest)
18-04-01, 12:10 AM
Thanks Amber.
I was looking at the home web pages and came across your horse Hes lovely! :-)

Sue from Auckland (Guest)
18-04-01, 02:52 AM
Get him blood tested and find out if he is actually lacking in anything - then feed a supplement if he needs it. Otherwise, save your money.

Sue from Auckland (Guest)
18-04-01, 02:52 AM
Oops, hope that didn't sound too bossy/aggressive - didn't mean it that way.

DM (Guest)
18-04-01, 03:41 AM
Yes, thats probably a good idea.
Where I agist, I will ask the lady what sort of grass it
is, as I have no idea. Its all dried out grass, with a
little green just coming through.
I think I might just feed a hoof/coat supplement to
satisfy my own mind, as I said his coat is dull and being
grey he has white feet/a little brittle.
Some biotin supplement is what I need, but without
the calcuium (so Cal Plus is out).
What other products contain biotin with perhaps something
for coat conditioning?

Shahron (Guest)
18-04-01, 09:40 AM
There is Biocare (cheapest I think) and a few others - they are all really similar. Look in your feed store - they're always lined up in the supplement area.

DM (Guest)
18-04-01, 04:19 PM
Thankyou Shahron.
I may have to make a trip into the next town, as my local feed
store only has Cal Plus, and arent too helpful.

Jules P (Guest)
19-04-01, 12:45 AM
Hi DM,

I use the Hi-Form products and have always found them to be good. The VM is a general vitamin supplement. You could feed it in a scoop of chaff. Give Hi-Form a call (03 5942 7787) they are pretty helpful.

There are also a couple of vitamin mixes that are available in pellet form. Hygain make one called Sporthorse I think.

Feeding a small amount of pre-mix will probably not work as to get the right amount of vitamins etc you need to feed the recommended amount of feed. If you wanted a really basic mix then Barastoc Blue Ribbon is just a mix of chaff with vitamin pellets, it is quite a good feed and reasonably priced.

Cheers Jules

Looksthgoods
21-04-01, 10:37 AM
Aminovite Plus!

Liz W
21-04-01, 10:40 AM
LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-01 AT 06:42PM (AEST)[p]Caitlin, I had exactly the same problem with Groom, but I have never had any problems with Livamol. Strange isn't it. I have been told over and over that Groom is not heating, but I think it is to some horses.

Sue (Guest)
26-04-01, 01:31 PM
I would give him Stockgain. That way you can just pour a bit on your hay. This has alot of vitamins and minerals and it is pretty cheap - $17 for a 2.5 litre cont. of the concentrate that you mix with water. You only need to feed about 1/2 - 2/3 cup.