PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Cheeky Chappers
29-12-07, 02:24 AM
Any advice on insurance? Not quite sure how it goes over here but I need to get my boy insured!

Fair Embrace
29-12-07, 02:37 AM
I use Fittons Insurance, I have my TB's and QH's covered by them. I know alot of people use Petplan (?) but I have found fittons to be the most reasonable price wise and i have not had a problem with a claim yet

Cheeky Chappers
29-12-07, 02:48 AM
Thanks Fair Embrace!

Do I need to have him vetted first etc and send a copy of his passport and vaccination records? A rough estimate of costs would be useful, I paid 60 dollars a month in UK but I think he's actually worth more money here in Australia so I should probably insure him for what it would cost to replace him here.

Reg
29-12-07, 03:17 AM
I insure though Zurich - I dont think they are over the top expensive, never had a problem with them at all.

All I did was get the horse vetted, fill out a heap of forms, sent a cheque and was in business!

What $ value you put on your horse is up to you - its a very personal thing. I have one that has no value at all - no amount of $ could replace him... So I have him insured for a sum that would buy me something nice, but I could never replace him...

Give a few places a call, see what they can do for you! And dont be scared to get tough with them - they need to do the best deal they can for you!!

Good luck, Reg

Cheeky Chappers
29-12-07, 03:20 AM
Thanks Reg,

Good advice from you as usual!

CC

Fair Embrace
29-12-07, 03:24 AM
Fittons have insured all of mine without vet certificates just identification documents. Although I only have two insured for over $15000.00 and they are with another company. Most of ours are insured up to $10000.00 mortality plus $5000.00 vet expenses with no excess. I don't know if this is how it works for everyone or because we have a lot of horses it ends up as a package but I pay about $700.00 a year for each horse.

Reg
29-12-07, 03:37 AM
Fair Embrace - is that for racehorses or performance horses?

I know for mine, they did want a vet certificate to ensure he had no prior conditions that could cause death, or loss of use in 12 months time..

I had a friend who bought a lovely horse, had him vet checked on purchase - all ok, then used another vet for the insurance vet check (did this 6 months after purchase) horse came up with heart murmur, insurance company didnt want to touch her with a 10ft pole... horse still alive & well at the grand age of 26....

I would recommend checking out a few...

Reg