PDA

View Full Version : "Horsey" magazines

Kat (Guest)
18-04-01, 07:20 AM
Hi, just wondering what horsey magazines you all read and/or buy? Do many of you buy the overseas mags as well as our local publications?

Spider
18-04-01, 07:47 AM
My local newsagent must see $ signs in his eyes when I enter his store - I buy Horse Deals, The Horse Magazine, Horse Scene, Horse & Rider, Your Horse, and sometimes Hoofs and Horns. I love 'em all. :-)

rappie (Guest)
18-04-01, 09:27 AM
yup - i tend to buy the british mags more than ours though i do like hoofbeats...mostly i buy horse magazine and if i can find horse & rider or your horse i snap em up quick sharp. they're about $2 more expensive and about twice the size! i was buying hoofs and horns a lot but found i wasnt really interested in the showing results and wanted em more than once every 2 months.

anyone know how much subscription to your horse or horse & rider are....round $70 i think?

Shahron (Guest)
18-04-01, 09:56 AM
Non Australian regular purchases.....
British Dressage Magazine (my favourite - so many sensational articles!), Dressage & CT (USA), St Georg & Reiten (german - but have a german boyfriend/ translator), Hoofs & Horns (UK).

Carola
18-04-01, 10:40 AM
I like the Horsemagazine and some of the British publications.
I also get the "second-hand collections" of ReiterRevue, Cavallo and other German magazines (don't need translator) from an o/s friend. (I am not quite up-to-date, but who cares?)

NikJ
18-04-01, 12:04 PM
I was once horribly addicted to any horse magazine around and was spending a fortune.

Now I subscribe to THM (but considering not renewing) and to the UK Your Horse (Rappie its about $110.00 I think, but when they send a renewal I will find out) And buy the horse deals at the newsagent. Best part I can claim them all on tax now so am considering expanding again....

E
18-04-01, 11:46 PM
Used to be a die-hard THM buyer but stopped buying it this year. There's very lukewarm content in it at any rate and now that it's $6 can't justify the purchase - takes me 15 minutes to read from go-whoa. There was more useful content in it back in 1994 when it cost $3.95!

Tend to buy Your Horse (English), Horse & Rider (English) and the British Dressage Society's magazine "Dressage" if there are any good stories in it...sometimes it's just a glorified newsletter.

Horse Deals too, it's a bit like those guys that buy the Trading Post every week just to browse...

magnet
19-04-01, 12:13 AM
Horse Deals, Quarter Horse and Western Breeds mag and
Horse & Rider (US).

Jules P (Guest)
19-04-01, 12:30 AM
I am a very bad girl when it comes to mags! I get the UK - Your Horse, Horse & Rider, Horse. Aussie ones - THM, Horse Deals, Horse Scene, Hoofbeats, Arabian Horse Express, Arabian Horse News & an American Arabian mag. Luckily my hubby loves his motor bike mags!!!

PJ (Guest)
19-04-01, 01:20 AM
Anyone remember the old 'RIDER' magazine? I think it came out in the 70's & 80's. Now THAT was a great magazine!!!

Spider
19-04-01, 02:29 AM
Yes, I remember "RIDER" Magazine, I used to buy it religiously, and it was my favourite magazine - I was devestated when I found out it was no longer available. If my (fading!)memory serves me correctly, Vicki Sach and Shirley Clifford were contributors to this wonderful publication. I wish "RIDER" was to be resurrected!

Kym
19-04-01, 03:40 AM
I loved "Rider". I remember when the first magazine came out! I stole it from my school library. Shh! Don't tell anyone! I was even a member of the Junior Rider Club - I still have the badge and the certificate! I was really upset when I found out that my mum had thrown out my collection of the magazine.

TDG (Guest)
19-04-01, 03:53 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I liked Horse Australia which only published about 5 volumes last year. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Mills (Guest)
19-04-01, 04:13 AM
I love "Your Horse" from the UK - love all the problems pages - makes me feel a bit more under control with my horses I think! :-)
Also buy Horse Deals just to dream...
Don't like The Horse Mag (Aust) now - it's too political and there's very little advice on practical horse care and reader's experiences etc - more info on comp results which doesn't interest me that much.
Hoofs and Horns is sometimes OK but you get very little mag for your money. I quite like Hoofbeats too - I like all that info on "The Green Horse" even though I don't own my own land - it's interesting to see good pasture management advice etc.

van (Guest)
19-04-01, 04:18 AM
I love Equus. An American magazine that has practical and informative articles. Takes forever to read!

Spider
19-04-01, 04:23 AM
In response to TGD and the "Horse Australia" query - there was a thread in this forum regarding this magazine a couple of months ago. From what I can understand, this magazine is unfortunately no longer available. A pity as it started out well.

Annabelle (Guest)
19-04-01, 04:27 AM
I loved RIDER magazine with a passion, I used to read it front to back, word for word, over and over again. I still have copies of it in my bedroom dating way back in the 80s. It was the coolest magazine ever! This thread has made me think, do any of you think ther exists a market for a new magazine? Horse Deals is all I ever buy now, but I don't get it every month, usually just read a friend's.

lynbarree (Guest)
19-04-01, 05:11 AM
I just have a subscription to the horse magazine, but like to buy horse deals from time to time to drool...

rubiton (Guest)
19-04-01, 05:25 AM
I'll buy The Horse Magazine sometimes but always get Horse Deals, Horse Market (surprised this hasn't been mentioned), Horse Scene. Was buying hoofs and Horns for a while but have just started flicking thru only buying when something interests me. Overseas - Horse and Hound always buy it when I see it covers everything (racing and equestrian) and comes out weekly.

I loved Rider magazine when I was young the articles and the photos taken by a Helen someone. Found some when I moved house a while back with G Rolton from the hack shows and Eric Musgrove (now racehorse trainer) showjumping. Have still got many pages that were cut out of magazines when (at parents suggestion - if only I'd been older and wiser) I collected the pics and articles of interest out of about 15 months of racing and equestrian magazines.

Angie SA (Guest)
19-04-01, 05:47 AM
We always get horse deals, horse and rider(US), horse scene, and horse market.

My sister and l poured for hours over a huge box of horse mags the other weekend. About 20 years worth.The oldest 1979. Rider, The origanal horse deals, THM, horse scene, and heaps more.... When we finised we gave them to a young lass who read cover to cover, she has passed them around to her friends.

Magic land you can get lost in when reading horsie mags.

Vicki (Guest)
19-04-01, 07:12 AM
Aw shucks...as someone who worked on RIDER and ran the Junior Rider Club, I am honoured!! Ahhh, those were the good old days......

The old RIDER team worked briefly on Horse Australia before it folded, so we got together to start a new one up
called 'Horsewyse' which is aimed at the 10-18 year age group.

First issue is due out early June this year and <nibbles fingernails> we hope it will go okay...a horse mag purely for younger readers has never been done here before!

NikJ
19-04-01, 10:12 AM
Angie, I have three boxes under the stairs that have a 1978 hoofs and horns, a lot of Rider, a lot of Practical Horseman, Equus, hoofbeats, horse Australia (at least what I recall the name as but is from the 80's) I have a three door sideboard - full of THM, Equus, Your Horse, Horse and hound some practical horseman and English Rider Mags - and many other ones that the name has left me (UK & US). I have two shelves full at my fathers work. One day I will catalogue the lot....if I am retired or win lotto - but then I may hire someone!

We worked out once that I was spending over $5000.00 a year on mags - serious addiction probs there. And that was when I was 17 (about 10 years ago)

Yes I have an addiction, the first step......acknowledgement

micarter
19-04-01, 10:40 AM
I used to buy THM but am sick to death of it. I only read Andrew Macleans articles now.
I used to love Rider too I got hold of a whole collection of old ones a while back and read them cover to cover, oh the memories!
Now I buy Horse deals occaisionally (sp) and also Horse and Rider (US) and Horse and Rider (UK). Both of these are big and full of interesting articles although more expensive.
I really think we need a better Australian Magazine that is more open minded and informative than the ones currently on the market.

elvis (Guest)
19-04-01, 12:21 PM
i used to be passionate about practical horseman, until our dollar become a peso, and you have to sell a horse to be able to afford the mag!

Tez (Guest)
19-04-01, 12:51 PM
I simply love the UK Horse and Hound. No crap, great articles, has all the info on whats happeneing in britian, and actually has some depth, unlike many aus counterparts.

Judith NZ (Guest)
19-04-01, 01:00 PM
Hey Elvis You think your dollar is a peso. Try the NZ $!!:-(
I subscribed to 2 U.S mags Practical Horseman and The Horse for years but stopped PHM last year as it had become tooo expensive. Just get The Horse now. It is a magazine that is very health care orientated.

Snickers (Guest)
22-04-01, 02:18 PM
I really enjoyed the Australian Equestrian Magazine and Practical Riding when it was taken over by the second editor. It was informative and full of profiles of Australian riders. I liked it because it wasn't political like THM.
I also like Equus and Practical Horseman, I have subscriptions which is much cheaper than going through the newsagent.

rubiton (Guest)
22-04-01, 02:36 PM
It was a shame when they discontinued Australian Equestrian the last editor tried so hard. And received a letter the other day that Horse Market is the latest to no longer be produced.

MIF (Guest)
23-04-01, 10:13 AM
I have subscribed to THM for years and will continue to do so. At this stage I am more interested in reports and interviews in relation to derssage rather than how to do things. I still buy Horse Deals most months, even though every time I buy it I swear I'm not going to buy any more.

I have years worth of Rider, Hoofs and Horns, You Horse and Horse and Rider (UK) as well as others I can't remember off hand. I have been through all of these and cut out anything of interest and filed the articles. I now have about 6 lever arch folders which are full, so I have a fair bit of how to info stored away for future reference.

I also used to buy Dressage & CT (US) and Dressage (UK), but I can't get them locally any more and the subscriptions are way to expensive.

Hoofs and Horns doesn't hold much interest for me anymore, as it seems to concentrate on hacking results and campdrafts.

Van (Guest)
23-04-01, 02:20 PM
Snickers,
I want to get an Equus sub, but wanted to know if they arrive earlier/ later than the newsagents. Can you please tell me?

Alyra (Guest)
23-04-01, 02:55 PM
I was horribly addicted to magazines, but not so much so more! :) I used to buy every magazine under the sun, but now I prefer Horse Deals (who DOESN'T buy that one????) :-) and while I bought a few copies of the Horse Magazine, wasn't very impressed with it - it was full of political things and the other articles weren't all that interesting. Very quick, not to mention, boring read :-)

I do like the UK magazine, I think it's called Your Horse? Full of nice articles and problemo horses with interesting solutions :)

I was given a subscription when I was 13 I think to Horse & Rider Magazine - it was great - what happened to it?

tgh (Guest)
24-04-01, 12:59 AM
Interesting that none of you have commented about on line magazines .. there are heaps of them and the news is news 'cos it just happened...

Even THM has reacted to the challenge by having results and articles ..online ..long before the mag hits the stands ..CBH has a very plain but relevant news and reports section and Aus Eques has a wonderful display of pics and articles wrapped in an artistic and viusually stunning framework. There is heaps of offshore stuff ...Dressage Daily , BJRO , even the FEI site has fairly up to date stuff.... a veritable smorgasbord of info and not a dead tree among 'em..:-)

You youngsters are supposed to be new age caring ..about trees and logging for instance..doesn't it just give you all a tiny twinge when you read horse deals and think that a living tree contributed to your pleasure..:-)

Snickers (Guest)
24-04-01, 03:10 AM
Both the Equus and Practical Horseman arrive earlier by post than they do in the newsagent, but they're still a month or two out of date.

E
24-04-01, 11:57 AM
Ah, but I can not take my computer on a train/bus. I do need something to read on the train/bus ;)

For anyone who can not get a hold of magazines in their area - get on to your local newsagency and get them to order them in from you (most horse magazines including OS are distributed by Gordon & Gotch, Horse Deals is supplied by Network and I think the English Your Horse is RDS). It doesn't cost any extra and can be very easily done, the only reason a newsagency would have a limited supply of magazines on the shelves is because there is not a demand for that particular publication NOT because the magazine is unavailable in that area. They can get them in on a monthly basis for you as part of their order, even if you don't buy it every month - it costs nothing to the newsagency as long as it gets returned to the supplier before its recall date.

PB (Guest)
24-04-01, 12:46 PM
Heartily agree! Had to wait a while for it to get to Africa though!

Van (Guest)
24-04-01, 12:57 PM
Thanks Snickers,
I think I will get my Equus sub today! It is heaps cheaper- ahh finally I save some money in my horse pursuits!

Bonnie (Guest)
25-04-01, 01:02 AM
tgh, how about some addies for those you have mentioned? please?:-)

Lorraine (Guest)
25-04-01, 04:55 AM
Love HOOFBEATS, mainly cos it is the only mag that appears to remember that WA actually exists!! Probably not popular in the Eastern states for that very reason! And the green horse supplement is useful too. Might as well rename THM the Ryan mag in my humble opinion. All very well for the Eastern states elite crowd but not much interest to us WA hobbyists. Also love the English mags but who can afford them with the dollar so woeful, and dont they make you sick when you see lovely (expensive)English horses and shows and all (mind you I think we Aussies still have the best deal horsewise!!)

PM (Guest)
26-04-01, 03:29 AM
Can someone who used to read 'Rider' magazine help me here? For a while there was a wonderful cartoon/serial about a horse and his stockman rider. I loved it but can't remember their names. If anyone has some old copies and knows what I'm talking about - Vicki who worked on the mag should - it'd be great to get a web page going and scan them on. It was too good to disappear forever. What WERE their names?

Classic aka Christine
26-04-01, 02:30 PM
I buy Horse Deals, Horse Market (I'm sorry to hear that's going), Quarter Horse & Western breeds, HoofBeats, Hoofs and Horns, Horse Scene, Arabian Express.....hmmmm can't think of any others off the top of my head. I also buy the quarter horse year book every year as well.
I used to buy The Horse Magazine but I'm not into the stuff in there and one mag had to go so that was it...

I have heaps of old rider magazines, I was once lucky enough to buy a huge box of them. Some date back to the 70's. I've never thrown away a magazine so I have hundreds of them.

Once in a blue moon I go back and have a look at them. I love my old quarter horse mags the most.

Christine

MIF (Guest)
27-04-01, 11:37 AM
I think the horses name was Sliprail, but I can't for the life of me remember what the blokes name was.

PM (Guest)
27-04-01, 11:52 AM
Thanks, MIF, Sliprail sounds right. I think it was written by a man who lived outback, but that could be my imagination. Christine, could you PLEASE look up some of your old mags and find out a bit more for me on Sliprail? Thanks

Classic aka Christine
27-04-01, 01:12 PM
Sure PM, I'll go have a look for Sliprail and get back to you tomorrow night... :)

Christine

Classic aka Christine
27-04-01, 01:18 PM
Sorry I lied, I went and found a Rider mag, 1985 vintage, the other one I have beside me is a 1976 vintage.
Sliprail had a rider called Buster. And there was a dog called Migraine..

It's in cartoon format. Is there anything else you wanted to know about Sliprail? I can go through my old books and once my scanner works I could probably scan them and send them to you....

Christine

PM (Guest)
27-04-01, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Christine! My email is tpmorg@ozemail.com.au and I'd LOVE to have some Sliprails if you can get your scanner going, thanks very much. I appreciate the trouble you've gone to.

new surfer (Guest)
27-04-01, 10:54 PM
to the person/persons regarding HORSE AUSTRALIA they are now online australian-eques.com great site still growing slowly but just as good quality as the mag. happy browsing and reading, i have even downloaded dressage articles to read on the way to work.:-)

EEEEEEEK (Guest)
28-04-01, 12:46 AM
I think Sandy Morphett would have HEART FAILURE to think you said her site was Horse Australia.
She was the first editor of that magazine, and along with the subsequent staff, decided that certain aspects of that otherwise good mag could not be coped with and left.
australian-eques is Sandy's own site, and I agree its excellent and the best on line magazine around, but PLEASE it's NOT Horse Australia....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK nononononononononoNO!

Vicki (Guest)
28-04-01, 03:21 AM
What a great cartoon that was, I have quite a lot of them still. I'm trying to contact the artist, Mike Gallagher, to get permission to re-print them in another magazine I'm involved in (due out soon...but not allowed to promote it here).

Sadly, Mike had to stop drawing the cartoons as he was going blind. From memory, he lived in the Snowy Mountains area.

PJ (Guest)
28-04-01, 03:23 AM
YIKES......I second EEEEEEEEEK.

Sandy's site is all her own and nothing to do with the old Hose Australia magazine.

Vicar of Dibley
28-04-01, 03:47 AM
Dear new Surfer...THERE IS NO WAY IN THE WORLD Horse Australia has metamorphosed into australian-eques. PIGS MIGHT FLY!!!!! Sandy Morphett, the lady behind australian-eques, WAS the first editor of Horse Australia but had such a foul experience with the publisher that she will be, if she has seen your post, lying in a darkened room having The Vapours (and with any luck, a large G&T). Sandy is a brilliant photographer and creative graphic artist and gave Horse Australia its wonderful 'look', which is why your're seeing the similarity with eques (and jumping to not unreasonable conclusions). Sandy neither has or wants ANYTHING to do with the defunct Horse Australia and the person behind it EVER and as One Who Knows the Full Story, I don't blame her.

Carola
28-04-01, 03:59 AM
I know of a fantastic weekly FREE "on-line" magazine. Unfortunately it is in German only. It's called "Die Pferdezeitung" and arrives via e-mail every Sunday.
If anyone is interested, e-mail me and I give you the details.

Talking about on-line mags. Does anyone know of an English on-line publication?

Mel
28-04-01, 08:48 AM
I always read - hoofbeats, horsedeals and really liked horse australia. I also enjoy reading Equus (when I can afford it). I didn't ride when the rider mag. was around, but I have bought a couple 2nd hand and they are great!!!

Lurch's Mum (Guest)
28-04-01, 11:02 AM
Vicki, that's so sad to hear that Mike who wrote 'Sliprail' is going blind. Is there any way to let him know that we haven't forgotten him and that in fact, there are those of us who want to see 'Sliprail' resurrected? It might make him feel good.