PDA

View Full Version : Worming - techniques employed

Dreamer
18-04-01, 02:18 PM
After once again going through the religious enlightenment of worming the mob (religious because at times it takes the patience of a saint! *wry smile*). I thought I'd ask how other people tackle the task. Some of mine are good to worm, some bad, some downright awful. With generous proportions of those saintly virtues *lol* and time, they've nearly all, without exception, improved from how they were initially but I was wondering how do others approach the re-education of a "bad wormer"? What is your method to long term success?

BTDT
18-04-01, 02:37 PM
Easy Trick, fill a syringe with watered down molases, give the horse a couple of syringe fulls a day for a few days on ab out the 2nd or 3rd day the horse will come running when it sees the syringe, Then when worming just dip the end of the worm paste in molases, works every time.

lynbarree (Guest)
19-04-01, 05:58 AM
Love the idea of the molasses syringe.
A couple of mine used to back off and throw their head up for the paste and someone showed me if you take hold of the top lip in the palm of your hand (sort of a hand twitch i guess) they stand dead still while you put the paste in using your other hand. I find this works for me.

Duvfi (Guest)
19-04-01, 07:29 AM
Okay, well my way might sound a bit stupid but it works - after all, I have only just wormed 6 horses yesterday, ranging from thoroughbreds to shetlands etc. I simply walk up with the syringe behind my back, stand on their near side and with my right hand take a hold of their ear, not tight but firm. They go into like a trance and then I squirt it in. Easy as that...I'm always careful that I don't pull or tug to hard on their ears though....and I dojn't know why it works,it just does!!

Jen2 (Guest)
19-04-01, 11:38 PM
Jen's Easy Way to Worming Happiness

Buy the Equimec liquid and gun appicator or in a pinch just use a syringe, no needle required.

Extract correct dosage of Equimec into gun or syringe.

Insert gun or syringe nozzle into apple and squirt.

Feed horse apple.

Voila.

So easy. And the little darlings have NO idea! *g*

Patsy (Guest)
19-04-01, 11:47 PM
Hey Jen, hate to tell you, but your horses certainly would know there was something unusual in the apple. :-) However, even though the taste would be contiminated, what horse is going to knock back an apple??????

maree (Guest)
20-04-01, 02:52 PM
i have found the molasses and syringe technique works well.
you also need to be aware of the way that you approach your horse when you worm them. most of us have completely different body language, ie, we hide things behind our back, we approach differently to normal, our body language changes, no matter how hard we try to act 'normal'.
i have had easy and hard horses to worm and have found that if you gently cover the eye on the side that you are standing on with your hand it gives you a few spare seconds to get the syringe in their mouth before they put their head in the air and start spitting.
works well for me.
maree
ballarat vic

Jen2 (Guest)
20-04-01, 11:14 PM
Hey Pats....I guess my horses aren't that bright...lol... but they always come back for more. Probably cos practically the only time they get apples is at worming time (mean old mum) so as far as they know, that is how apples are supposed to taste! *grin*

MAC (Guest)
21-04-01, 04:24 AM
I have found the absolute best way to worm horses is to stand on their off side, hold the noseband of the halter with the fingers of your left hand and put your left thumb into the corner of their mouth. Most horses accept this quite well, especially horses that are used to having a bridle on. Then simply slip the drench in with your right hand, while your left thumb is still in their mouth and keeping hold of the noseband. If your horse is really bad, I suggest you try to get the horse used to you holding the noseband/corner of his mouth for a few days before you actually put in the drench. I have never known this technique to fail, even on the most head shy, drench shy horses.

jaz (Guest)
21-04-01, 08:36 AM
Jen2
Hey Jen, do u remember giving me this suggestion months and months ago, it didn't work, how do u get the equimec liquid into the apple, No matter how hard I tried it's nearly impossible to inject liquid into an apple?

Bec (Guest)
21-04-01, 09:06 AM
Jen2 my way is similar to that, but we drill the inside of the carrot out, fill it with worming paste and put a small piece of carrot in the top. He takes it every time

Cheers.

Jen2 (Guest)
21-04-01, 09:08 AM
Jaz, tell me exactly what you've been doing and what you've been using. I've never had any trouble at all injecting the liquid into even very hard crisp apples. Let me know so I can help cos it really is a great method for hard to worm horses.

jaz (Guest)
21-04-01, 09:19 AM
Ok Jen,
I got the liquid wormer, got my sisters syringe (she is a diabetic) and tried injecting the liquid into a apple. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the stuff into the apple, I tried a really crisp apple then a almost rotten one. None worked so I tried mashing the apple up and mixing the solution into the mash, No way was he going to eat this stuff...
He loves his apples but I sat there for hours trying to squeeze this stuff in... IMPOSSIBLE, how did u do it...
I didn't have the needle on the syringe but I did try doing it both ways. The needle ended up getting clogged and I had to keep squirking and unblocking it

Julie Hewat (Guest)
21-04-01, 02:09 PM
My most favoured method of re-educating a difficult wormer is to firstly teach them to relax whilst having their mouth handled.
We begin this with our youngsters, as early as newborn imprinting, but it is possible to get a mature horse accustomed to it as well.
The trick is to slip your finger into the side of the mouth where the bars of the jaws are (not the toothy bit), and gently tickle the horse's tongue.. It may also help to use something pleasant tasting like honey or molasses. We also use this trick to relax a tense horse as it encourages them to mouth or lick.
Once your horse is comfortable with this, try offering a syringe filled with something they like eg. the honey or molasses.
If your horse is still sceptical with the wormer you can often persuade them to take it by dipping the end of the wormer in whatever they like the taste of best.
As our babies are so accustomed to this treatment, I now have horses you don't even have to go into the paddock with to worm them, they'll lean over the gate to suck it out of the tube.
In fact, I have one who would rather have an equimec than a carrot!!

Jen2 (Guest)
22-04-01, 12:15 AM
The only thing I can think of as being the problem is the size of the nozzle of the needle. You would need to use one of those really big 50ml ones with the larger opening, or cut the end down on a smaller one so the opening is bigger. Then plunge the end deep into the apple and squirt. I must admit I have never used a syringe, as I have the Equimec Gun applicator but the method is the same. Next time I get some liquid I will try doing it with a syringe to see if it doesn't work.

Cheers and bummer you couldn't get it happening! Sounds like you tried everything too?!?!??!

Deb (Guest)
22-04-01, 01:47 AM
I must be really stupid! :-) I simply put the paste in the feed and mix well and leave each horse in his own yard until all the feed is gone. No stress at all for me or them......:-)