PDA

View Full Version : saved horse

sucker (Guest)
20-04-01, 10:45 AM
I have just picked up the horse. He is sooooo foot sore. Someone rode him into the ground over Easter and now he can't walk, poor bugger. I have given him some hay tonight and tomorrow I will start the hard feed. I hope he doesn't drop dead overnight. I did worm him so I hope that doesn't kill him. My husband will really be impressesd then. All that money. He is counting what I spend already. I had to buy a halter cause I forgot to bring one so he's counting the cost of the halter on top of the horse. But I still love them both

natasha (Guest)
20-04-01, 10:55 AM
Have faith, and tell us if he gets through the night.. can you tell me anything else about the horse ? where you got him, age, breed, ect...?
natasha

buckskinremi
20-04-01, 10:56 AM
Good on you Sucker, for being so caring!
Don't forget we want pics of before and after!
Don't the previous owners know what they did?
Give him alot of time and TLC and I am sure he will be a lovely old horse for you.

Tanya
20-04-01, 11:22 AM
Sucker, I don't know if this will help you but after I worm my horses I inject them with a vitamin shot of B12. About 10ml for a 15 hand horse. This promotes the growth of normal stomach bacteria after the worming products strip it (especially good in your poor boys state). I also swear by boiled barley and I still boil mine (in a jam boiler like another poster) every damn night! I have also found that equibix is good for gaining condition especially of you do not want to feed high amounts of grain. Good luck, I wish you and what IS his name anyway? Cheers. :-)

Mel (Guest)
20-04-01, 03:52 PM
Hi
Poor fellow:(
Ok First the foot soreness.If he's stoned bruised you will need a drawing agent to draw the bruises out.First stand him in cold buckets of epsom salt water for the first 24 hours of the soreness occuring(you may be too late to do this,so go to the warm)then change to warm water and epsom salts.Stand him in there for at least 15 mins.The mix soap and sugar and pack in the hoof and bandage.I use it on a lot of stone bruised racehorses.If the bruises travel they may pop out the top of the coronary band.If you dont want to use the soap trick then use a poultice like animalintex or swell down or amoricane.
I wouldnt start the hard feed yet as you may over-protien him and the fact he cant walk much means he wont be able to work it off.I'd stick with good quality hay until he's over the foot soreness.If you have access to bute I'd give him some.
Not everyone will agree with my methods but I'm only stating what has worked for me in the past.
Good luck
cheers Mel