PDA

View Full Version : Gross Sun Bleached Chestnut

cbrown
21-01-08, 03:21 AM
Hi,

I'm going to start working with 5 year old racehorse at my agistment eg. ride him, fatten him up and get him looking good for sale or lease. He hasn't been rugged though so his chestnut coat is dry and an ugly matt gold colour, not to mention the dreadlocks!

With rugging, worming, feeding etc. How long to you think it takes to get a horses summer coat back from gross to glossy?

mayville lodge
21-01-08, 03:31 AM
If everything goes smoothly you can get miraculous changes in coat condition in 3 to 4 weeks, and with dreadlocks and crowsnests I use Absorbine show sheen, it's silicone based, and while there is still some muscle required you can save a lot of hair. It's expensive though, there might be a cheaper alternative out there, I just found a product that worked years ago and have stuck with it. Good Luck.

opensky
21-01-08, 03:35 AM
Hi cbrown! I'd say 6 weeks to full show coat condition, but 4 weeks to good condition. Crucial factor - diet! Get some min/vit with biotin in it which feeds the coat and the hoofs, and feed at recommended ratio. A tablespoon of vegetable oil helps too. Don't over-rug, I'd go with just a cotton during the day to keep direct sun off, and a light rug at night helps keep the coat flat.

Elbow grease, and a soft-brush-grooming helps circulation and promotes a healthy coat, but if you use a good min/vit supplement once this kicks in, the coat will not need as much brushing. (I recommend Groom - a Barastoc product, about $30 for an 8kg bucket - lasts me 3 months for 2 horses - great stuff.) A wash with a good horse shampoo about 2 weeks after the new diet will help nourish the coat, but don't be tempted to wash too often - strips the natural oils out. Good luck!

sharyn
21-01-08, 05:21 AM
The best supplement i have found for my chestnut horses is Feramo-H with Chromium. It really darkens the coat and gives it a really deep glow. I see results within 2-4 weeks of using it.

Other than that, a lot of grooming to stimulate the oil glands and give a natural shine to the coat. Be careful of putting any rugs on that are too heavy, and make sure you rinse his coat really well after work, as sweat is the number 1 killer of coat condition. When washing, i use wool mix, as it tends to not strip the oils out of the coat as much as shampoo.

cbrown
21-01-08, 06:23 AM
Wow, what a knowledgeable bunch you are!!

Thanks for all the great tips! I'll take some before and after photos and so you can see the result.

Sharyn - Where do you get Feramo-H? Is it expensive?

After reading the advice I think i'll put him in a cotton rug and hood day and night and make sure to brush him daily as well as a good hose off after work.

I wholeheartedly agree with limiting the bathing, my other guy is lucky to be shampooed once every two months and his coat is insanely glossy.

sassy
21-01-08, 07:32 AM
It took 6 weeks to turn this guy around.
But we did clip as well.
Lots of oil n we also feed topline.
Rugging stabling good feeding n worming.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/sa_ssy/Copyofcutterb4.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/sa_ssy/Copyofcutter009-1.jpg

RU PAINTS N QH
BREEDERS OF FINE HORSES.
HOME OF RU KID N ME.....
PHAA HONOUR ROLL RUNNER UP PAINT BRED HALTER HORSE OF AUSTRALIA
PHAA HONOUR ROLL RUNNER UP PAINT BRED AMATEUR OWNER HALTER HORSE OF AUSTRALIA.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/sa_ssy/CopyofCopyofIMGP1215.jpg

sharyn
21-01-08, 12:29 PM
You can get Feramo from Horseland, but you would probably get a better price hunting it down from a produce store. It is around $60-70 for 2.5kg, which will last one horse a couple of months, or I buy it in an 18kg metal bucket, which is around $300, and would last one horse around a year or so.

puddles
21-01-08, 01:13 PM
hi,
I would use konkes energy gold, it cost me about $20 for a 2L tin, however I use under 1/4 of a cup instead of the normal 1 cup used with canola oil. It has other good things in it also, and I have seen a definite improvement in my boy who has lost hair from itch, it is soft and his coat is becoming nice again! I love the stuff!

Mona
21-01-08, 01:28 PM
as opensky said, anything with biotin will do wonders for hooves & hair. Rosehip granules are a great natural example and i've found them to work really well. You can buy them cheaply from the wonderful people at country park herbs
http://www.countrypark.com.au/equine.htm

Autumn
22-01-08, 02:22 AM
Lack of copper in the diet causes that 'sunbleached' look. Blacks will brown out and the coat will frizz up at the ends - its the same with dogs too.

I have a chestnut who is hardly ever rugged - he never has a dry dull coat or bleaches out. My girlfriend had a black ASH who had the most magnificent black coat, he never 'bleached out', both got enough copper in their diets.

http://minioldies.oldies.org.uk/smoscar.gif

sarahNjudy2
22-01-08, 02:23 AM
Google 'Calcoliv'

This stuff is AMAZING and REALLY CHEAP.

Give it a go!

Sarah

A Vertue
22-01-08, 02:44 AM
I agree with all the above posts in regards to rugging/ feeding etc. I have always had chestnuts and swear by Vetadine medicated wash. It puts the most brilliant bronzy sheen on the coat and its not too harsh. I still always rinse well though you can leave it in.