PDA

View Full Version : BRUTE help

puddles
22-01-08, 12:23 PM
Hi all,
After the helpful advice of CH's, I have invested in some brute for my boy with QLD itch. Now, just wondering, should I be using brute more than once a week as stated on the bottle? Will it hurt if I do? How often does everyone else use it on their horses??
Cheers, Puddles

Kartika66
22-01-08, 01:53 PM
I use it once a week if itch is very severe- don't overdo it as I had a horse that it literally burnt part of the mane and tail off.

It is quite strong. Should do the trick tho' if used in conjuction with top to toe rugging (ears, tailbag, noseflap etc) and I also use ShooFly spray on rugs at dusk.

feather_feet
22-01-08, 06:27 PM
yeh once a week is fine..just 40mls on the mit and wipe it all over his head,ears,neck,legs and then cover up with a cotton combo...should stop scratching within days,and heal within two weeks

mayville lodge
23-01-08, 12:29 AM
If you get rain or you horse sweats a lot it will effectively "wash it off" so it will need to be reapplied. And I find that the 40mls isn't needed once the mit is fully loaded (used several times so it's still got a fair bit of brute in it) and if it's only been a day or 2 since you last applied. With all our rain we've been getting I've been putting it on daily, but with a loaded glove I only put 10mls on the glove and thats enough for about 6 horses. And I did run all this past the vet before I started doing it!

LisaL
23-01-08, 01:49 AM
depends on the horse.

wash the horse, and then apply brute when the horse is dry, and then rug.

Some of my horses have been extremely sensitive to it and no more than one application a week.

So during the week I would fill one of those water spray bottles with water, add two drops of lavendar, two drops of cintrolla, and two drops of either eucalyptus or tea tree oil (more than two or three drops of essential oil and it will burn your horse), and i'd take the rug off daily, spray the horse and put the rugs back on.

I'd also add two drops of cintrolla oil to the rugs in the rinse cycle of the wash and change rugs on a weekly basis.

I soooooo hate itchy horses.