PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To Come Out Now?

Cheeky Chappers
23-01-08, 07:57 AM
Is it? Are you sure?

I don't know whats gone on here over the past few days and quite frankly I don't care who said what to who and when.

Back to the real reason most of us are here! What have been your highlights/lowlights recently? My highlight was riding my boy for the first time in a year, lowlight was the rain that has stopped me doing it again. Now BEFORE I get bombarded with lectures on being able to ride in the rain I'm well used to it coming from Scotland! My issue was with a wet arena (not a criticism of my yard, don't know any arenas that would be dry under these conditions). I chose not to ride because the arena was boggy (is that evena word?) and I didn't want my boy to slip, balance being an issue again (not to mention my added weight LOL).

Lowlight was reading about Centaurs JR, I've got a JR/Mini Foxi Cross puppy and they really are such characters.

Highlight is having so many well meaning fellow CHers who keep me entertained with their stories, encouragement and sharing of information. Thanks to you all.

CC

Mighty
23-01-08, 08:07 AM
Hi CC

I'm not sure if it's safe to come out just yet!!!

Congrats on riding your boy for the first time. I hope you get some rain free time soon so you can both get back in to the swing of things.

Lowlight - None really. Life is pretty good

Highlight - walking out my door to my beautiful horses of a morning and being able to ride in the afternoons when I get home from work. Also being able to talk to my horsey friends about their adventures, hopes and dreams.

sassy_k
23-01-08, 08:28 AM
Well I haven't been here in a while, so don't know what went wrong :)

Lowlight: Happened this morning - my brother's stupid puppy scratched my face when I went to pick something up off the floor - Really not what you want when you only JUST hooked up with an AWESOME new guy, hehehe

Highlight: Every day I wake up and I'm greeted by the 10 horses wanting breakfast and by my beautiful little Fox Terrier

***** Angel....with horns }> *****

Jackpot
23-01-08, 08:44 AM
Hmm, lowlights? Life is not too bad, really, I am here, I am alive and I think I am healthy, haven't lost any pets lately, I think I give this one a miss.
Highlights? Got paddocks, got horses, got a job, got a husband and a beautiful daughter, every day is a highlight. Cheers to all. :7

tisme
23-01-08, 08:59 AM
Ahh, Highlights..

Highlight..finding and moving Gladdy and his paddock buddy to new agistment that we are all happy with...yay, maybe life will return to normal soon.

Lowlights..finding out Cheeky Chappers is Scottish, I thought you were english. So does that mean you talk reeeally funny??

LindaH
23-01-08, 09:01 AM
Well, no lowlights except I am at work and haven't had a real Christmas holiday yet.
I have a huge but exciting delema.
My fantastic, but a bit green and scary, mare has had a year off work. I moved house, stared a new job and basically had no place and no time to ride, then EI hit!
Now I have the opportunity to send her back to the trainer for a tune up then start riding her again, starting this weekend.
I REALLY want to get back on her, but now i'm stressing that I still won't have the time, am too unfit, need arena lights for winter so I can keep her going, she will still be green and a bit scary etc. I SO hope I am not just wasting my money and can get/keep her going.

Cheeky Chappers
23-01-08, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the responses, we're all pretty upbeat at the moment...

Are you insulting my heritage Tisme???????

JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlight can be that I don't have a broad accent then, in fact, I barely have one at all (-:

LindaH, "may the force be with you", I'd go for it as you'll only kick yourself if you don't.

CC

Jethros_my_boy
23-01-08, 09:45 AM
This is my kind of post. Cheeky Chappers, Good on you for getting back on your boy after 12 months.
Highlights: Finally making some awesome progress with my warmblood (he's finally stopped bucking).
Lowlights: None really. Life's pretty cruisey at the moment

Piny_Pot
23-01-08, 09:48 AM
Awww CC I LOVE accents :)

Ok Highlights: Actually being able to ride even if it is only walking bareback on a nutter of a horse :) And finally being able to take said nutter horse to my instructors for a walk trail ride and he was very well behaved didnt put a foot wrong.

Lowlights: The weather. Has either been to hot or too wet to ride. And like CC im quite happy to ride in the rain but the ground was too wet and slippery. *sigh* its always the case isnt it, when you CAN finally ride you cant lol

Cheeky Chappers
23-01-08, 09:53 AM
Jethros_my_boy, I soooo understand the bucking thing! My boy did it for years and I was REALLY worried that he'd do it last weekend but didn't.. had worked myself up into a little tizzy over it and all for nothing. Saying that, am gonna try again tonight so whats the betting he catches me unawares now that I've gone and jinxed myself?

How about a picture of your boy?

Piny, I can do an accent just for you (-:

Jethros_my_boy
23-01-08, 10:04 AM
Cheeky Chappers if this horse thinks he is going to buck for years I have some really bad news for him. Seriously though, he is a green, just turning 6yo, and has attitude to burn. He's not bucking with me now but the real test will be in 3 weeks when I put the "Legs of Steel" dressage instructor back on him. If he behaves for her he might just make someone a pretty damn good dressage horse, if not he will have to be an eventer.
I would love to post a pic but not only do I not have a camera at the moment but I don't know how. LOL

tisme
23-01-08, 10:32 AM
Ah CC definately wouldn't make fun of anybody's heritage...You do strike me as somebody with a good sense of humour, something that has been lacking recently..

I guess my lowlight would be more of a realisation. I have found myself living in the city and wondering why, and kind of "how did I get here ?" The realisation would be that I am the only one who seems to think this is a problem so I don't really seeing this ever changing.

kelli
23-01-08, 10:48 AM
highlight finding my dream horse( yes i know that sounds childish but she is lol)

lowlights not having the money to buy said horse, so im selling anything thats stands still long enough, like float some saddles etc

skymare
23-01-08, 11:55 AM
cheekychappers our scottish heritage is what makes us superior riders! ;) and just superior all round, lol. i was born here, but dad comes from just outside glasgow, a little dreary
sh!thole called airdrie. it explains a lot about me, lol. it's all genetic.
highlight- riding cosmic more regularly and staying on!
lowlight- not working in a job with animals. :( i must rectify this asap.

i_love_royal
23-01-08, 03:27 PM
I'm liking this thread.

My lowlight: My steed has mud fever :(. But atleast it hasn't been pooring every day lately so the ground is drying out *touch wood*.

My Highlights: My best friend got back from America today! (Well she's been in Sydney for a few days, but she got back here today) And she got me some fabulous Pirates Of The Caribbean merchandise over there. Also, the cutest horse in the world is waiting for me every morning, and rain, hail or shine the happy feeling I get when I see her never wavers.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/i_love_royal/NillaSmallerSharpened.jpg

Dare - dare to keep all your love alive
Dare to be all you can be
Dare - 'cause there is a place where dreams survive
And it's calling you on to victory

Cheeky Chappers
24-01-08, 01:17 AM
He's a young warmblood, same as mine was (-:

Think its striking a happy balance with a horse like this as the fizz that makes him buck will also contribute to the "attitude" in the arena. Gives him ping (says she who hasn't gone further than Novice, but you know what I mean). I'd still stick with dressage, see how it goes.

Tell you what though, my boy bucked for NATO and I only ever came off twice... unfortunately both times were at a standstill!

CC

Cheeky Chappers
24-01-08, 01:24 AM
I'm genuinely enjoying this thread. Makes a really pleasant change.

Thanks Ladies (and gents?)

CC

Savvy
24-01-08, 02:18 AM
My highlight was riding my horse a lot over the holidays. :) Oh and it's pay week...

The lowlight was going back to work! It's soooo boring...

flicka_9736
24-01-08, 02:31 AM
I agree with everyone else, fantastic thread. However I am having a ##### week so I am gonna bring it down with a bucklet load of lowlights!!!!!!

Lowlights - Hubby suffering from an injury that is preventing him from working much (usually has 1-2 days off per week, just as well they love him!), and is depressed because of it all, and NO FUN at all to live with or be around. I lost my job on Monday due to an argument with my boss over rostering and staff favoritism (me and my big mouth). I dont know how I am going to pay the house payment next week. I have applied for heaps of jobs over the last week (I knew I was gonna end up leaving or getting fired), so fingers crossed as some of them sound pretty good.

Highlights- I am in the Amber Zone, so we can now go on trail rides, and I have currently got my horses at home, which is lovely as I can walk out the door at any time and hug and kiss them. Or in this mornings case, I can be there to remove Spirits rug after the stupid back straps came undone and he trashed it. Also having time off allowed me to go and get Ella, my 18 month old grand daughter yesterday, so she can stay with us for a few days and do lots of horsey stuff.
Julie

LindaH
24-01-08, 02:37 AM
OK it's done. Horsie is booked into the trainers and I've booked a lesson too!!! Now i've got 2 weeks to get riding fit while she gets licked into shape. I even phoned the electrician for a quote on getting arena lights. Could someone please arrange for me to win lotto so I can pay for it :D.
I think Scottish accents are great. I worked with 2 Scottish girls (sisters) who moved to our town and both married Australian blokes. One even plays the bagpipes in the local band. They both became Aussie citizens a while back. They too swear they don't have an accent anymore (LOL). I think you will be stuck with it for life (luckily). I know an old farmer who has lived here since he was a boy. He still has a strong accent after more than 60 years, but he thinks he talks like an Aussie!

Cheeky Chappers
24-01-08, 03:40 AM
Oh Flicka,

So sorry to hear your lowlights. Men are not the best of people to be around when they are a) injured and b) unoccupied! Shame that you lost your job too, life always kicks you when you're down but it will get better...

At least you are positive enough to have a highlight, thats the spirit!!

Hugs

CC

sassy_k
24-01-08, 05:45 AM
Flicka, sorry to hear about your dramas.

But I agree with CC, I love that you can still find a highlight in there :)

***** Angel....with horns }> *****

Anubis
24-01-08, 12:34 PM
Hey there sane peoples ;)

Highlights...it seems we are getting closer to being able to bring Iggy down from QLD, so I will have to sort out a breaker :) OH has been spectacularly wonderful lately (not sure what is going on there but will lap it up) and I am 18 months cancer free.

Oh..and the refreshing sanity that seems to be creeping back, thankyou for this thread CC :)

Lowlights...Have owned Iggy for months now and he is still in QLD.

Anubis

Mona
24-01-08, 03:18 PM
oooh what a cheerful post!

Highlights: Finally getting back around horses after a year & i'm able to ride as much as I want

Lowlights: realising that all the riding in the world isn't going to get me past a certain point....i need to save up for lessons!!

Cheeky Chappers
25-01-08, 04:26 AM
I like the fact that most (if not all) of the highlights are about riding our horses, shows we've got stamina and are in for the long haul after whatever drama it is that we've come through.

I hope I do still keep at least some of my accent, kinda like it (-: OH and girls both have broad accents...

Mona, I'm completely with you on the lessons!!! I'd love to be able to have lessons on someone elses horse at the moment as I can't really do much with Chaplin till he's fit, I'd like to be one step ahead of him for a change!!!

I get one of those "warm/fuzzy" feelings from this all the folks that have added to this post. Now I've done it, will get one of those "pass the sickbucket" comments I've seen lately. Ho Hum!

CC

Cheeky Chappers
25-01-08, 04:42 AM
LindaH,

Please let us know how you get on with the trainer and the lessons? Good to follow everyones progress (-:

CC

tisme
25-01-08, 05:24 AM
Hey CC , warm and fuzzy is good when you are among friends...especially if its to early for a wine !

Cheeky Chappers
25-01-08, 05:38 AM
Oh wine, now you're talking!! I'm on a bit of a detox at the moment and the lack of alcohol is killing me...

CC

Anarabis
26-01-08, 02:13 PM
lowlights ... recently diagnosed and hospitalised with heart failure (cardiomyopathy) Never alowd to drink alcohol again ... thats not the real bother its having to limit the chocolate binges down to something much to modest to even get the taste of...
having to limit myself to 1.5 litre of fluids which includes soup,yoghurt,icecream,custard,jelly,... rice and pasta (yes how do they qualify as fluid i ask )
try limiting your fluid on a really hot day ... its a bit like some sort of chinese torcher... (i now have cups of iceblocks how weird)

Highlights... going to the races tomorrow with a very exciting horse that i absolutely adore and who is adoreable... Watching my other horse win her first race after 20 starts and 6 placings,
but my biggest highlight is all the very wonderful freinds i have and my mum who is scared of horses feeding my feral ponies (now thats love as they are without mercy when feed time arrives)

and ive left my hightlights til last so that i can finish upbeat and not depress myself.....
cheers to all

PB
27-01-08, 01:30 AM
Hmmm as a long time member of this forum, this is a refreshing post! Yay.

Lowlights - not too many. 'Twas a better year than 2006 when I smashed my leg. Freddy's dressage test at Maryborough ODE was probably the lowest point. Totally shameful in fact.

Highlights - went clear in SJ and cross country at the same ODE. Considering my nerve was shot after the leg smashing incident, and I was unsure if I would be able to get around a full course, I was totally thrilled to make it round on a rather difficult horse. Also, winning two dressage comps (EFA) on my OH's quarter horse who was a last minute stand in. Bless him.