PDA

View Full Version : Little dog -strange death

yaears
23-01-08, 08:55 AM
I lost my little dog today .I have had lots of dogs, you know some are just such special little personalities well thsi one was my friend.She was a funny little bent legged xbred JR,I guess.I got her unexpectedly when I was working doing the census 2 yrs ago-the other pups didn't like her , and well she needed a home.She was such a absolute character , full of fun,everybodys friend,the cats torment.I called her Tally for the census.
On Sat what we think happened is while she and our big dog were playing she cried and yapped at him,that we know..then when we went to see she was running around ok but swelling up like a ballon head,shoulders and along spine.I thought at first maybe a snakebite .A rush trip to the vet . By the time we had got to vet a lot of the swelling especially her head , had gone down.where he said the big dog playfully pouncing must have put a rupture somewhere and air was getting out,so he gave her 2 injections antbiotics and ? ,and said keep her confined and keep in touch .It went down more and she was happy and near normal only a little ballooning along her back still, and she would have preferred to stay out.
This morning she had been out of her crate for a toilet break and was back in her bed in the crate.I heard her scabbling to get out but didn't go let her out immediately as we were busy and I knew she was not needing toilet.She was quiet again after a few minutes and I didn't go back to house for 10 minutes, and there she was blown up like a balloon and dead.
I don't want sympathy -I know already you would all know what this feels like-Just want to ask if anyone hase ever had something like this happen -I rang the vet who is not in.I just can't believe it all is real and she could die like this.

Cheeky Chappers
23-01-08, 09:23 AM
Yaears,

I know you said you didn't want sympathy but I can't read this post without a show of support.

Simply put, I'm sorry to hear your loss. Thats both you and Centaur in a short space of time.

CC

Kaddy
23-01-08, 09:36 AM
You loved her & she you by the sounds of it, so whats wrong with a bit of sympathy? I'm very sorry that this has happened to you & her.

I have never heard of it before, but like you, would like to know what caused it, in case I ever see it in one of my pets.

jamie
23-01-08, 09:52 AM
Yaears, I've got no idea what might have caused this either and I've never heard of anything like it. I'm with the others though, you've got all of my sympathy regardless of whether you were asking for it or not. I lost my two most beloved dogs ever over the past sixteen months and even now I still can't think of either of them without going to pieces so I can't stand by knowing you're going through a simlar thing without being heartbroken for you, too. I'm so very, very sorry that you've lost your dear little friend.

Kelly.

yaears
23-01-08, 09:52 AM
Thanks-I wonder if her scrabeling made whatever was wrong-the fissure or rupture-split worse.When she first did whatever she did-her head was really swollen which seems so weird. It just seems so unreal, that she went near normal and then swelled up like again only more.Truely she was twice her size it was really very shocking . I have had animals a long time and know death is a reality..just can't understand what has happened.I do know I will miss her eveywhere I go ,she made us laugh every single day.Whats the saying ?"Never give your Heart to a dog to chew on?"

opensky
23-01-08, 11:35 AM
Sounds freakish, Yaears, and so sad - sorry to hear this. Regards.

gypsy_dreamer
23-01-08, 11:45 AM
Oh no. So very sorry about your little jr. I worry ours will play with snakes and the like. Saw a 4 foot brown coming home today.

I've never heard of this happening but I wish you all the best during the sad period of your life. :(

Cybergirl
23-01-08, 12:10 PM
It sounds so bizarre. What was the swelling comprised of? Gas?

becky
23-01-08, 01:53 PM
My little foxie went the same way... found out later it was a blockage to the kidneys.Vet told me it can happen so quickly and even if I had taken him there there was probably nothing that could have been done.

So sorry I know how you feel... I felt the same with my little one

lea_owens
23-01-08, 02:52 PM
Oh, Yaears! How dreadful for you. I love my dogs so much I just don't know what I'll do when their time comes ... in the meantime, I have so much empathy and sympathy for someone who has lost their canine 'baby'. So sorry for your loss.

Leanne O.