PDA

View Full Version : Thorowgood T6 saddle

sun_line
23-01-08, 11:34 AM
Hi. Has anyone tried these saddles? I have spoken to Aitkens Saddlery about them, and checked out the website, and I wonder if anyone has opinions on the dressage and jumping models.

Thanks

DO
23-01-08, 12:00 PM
Very good, infact best synthetic saddle on the market in their price range - Keiffer would best but more expensive.

This leave the Wintecs for dead.

ALLIE
23-01-08, 12:12 PM
Love them. They are such quality saddles for the price. I have their High Wither GP in T4 for a horse with a shark fin for a wither. Fantastic.

In the past I have had their Cob saddle as well for a wide flat backed horse.

Have a buddy who has the dressage and loves it and another mate who has the jumping saddle - raves about it.

As DO said they leave Wintec for dead. The Thorowgood puts you in a really good position, the wear factor is far superior and comfort and fit are great. Price - you would be hard pushed to find better value.

Did you see they now have a Leather version out?

Dealing with Aitkens Saddlery is also a pleasure. Knowledgeable individuals and fantastic service. My Horseland experience in comparison was truly underwhelming when I compared them to Aitkens. I dealt with Aitkens remotely as well via phone and email. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

sun_line
23-01-08, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies! Allie, the lady at Aitken's did mention the leather version, I think she said it was just under $2000. But I can't access the link from the Thorowgood site about it. For some reason it won't come up. Do you know where the leather version is made/ where the leather is from? I am thinking of the synthetic as a saddle to get me back into the sport, and as an alternative to cheap nasty Indian/ Argentine leather.

I am glad to hear you have had success with this range.

NikJ
23-01-08, 02:13 PM
Aitkens are extremely professional and very good at their job. They will try to find the right saddle for you and your budget. Graeme is the best. You may have been speaking to Jan (his OH) or daughter Tracey. I have all the time in the world for them. I do have loyalty to my local horseland but for any saddle work Graeme is #1.

sun_line
24-01-08, 01:13 PM
Sorry to shamelessly BUMP my own thread. Just wondering if anyone else has an opinion on these saddles?

Liz
24-01-08, 03:02 PM
I've used Thorowgood saddles for years and can think of nothing bad to say about them. They just seem to get better and better although there are a couple of the older models which I personally found even better than some of the newer ones (but that's just because of my funny-shaped bum, I think).

Like someone else said, they are in a totally different league to Wintec. They are CLASS saddles however battered the outer synthetic cover might appear after years of hard use.

2006eabbott
24-01-08, 04:05 PM
Hiya Sun-line - I recently bought a Thorowgood saddle off E Bay to use as a work saddle as my good Uhl and Sons dressage saddle was getting worn - and I am thoroughly impressed by it! It is the older version but fits beautifully, is super comfy and puts me in a great position! I have also owned a Wintec 500 which cannot even start to compare with the Thorowgood. The best part was it only set me back $180! It was nearly brand new and fully mounted - so it was win win all round!! Can't recommend them highly enough - would love to see what the leather version looks like!

Cheers Emma

JALisaac
24-01-08, 05:26 PM
we bought one for our daughter...she loves it..I agree with every one elses praises...

Roquen
25-01-08, 02:26 AM
I had an old dressage one and it was fantastic, can't recommend them highly enough. It got a heap of use - and I bought it second hand, sold it when I didn't need it anymore but wish I hadn't. Really good quality and for the price you will be suprised how good a saddle they are. Much better than wintec IMO.