PDA

View Full Version : Another naice story!

LindaH
24-01-08, 02:49 AM
Here's another nice story while wer're all being pleasant :P.
Yesterday on the way to work I saw the Country Energy blokes pulling down some power poles in town. I stoped and asked them if I could get one pole as that was all I need to finish my arena at home. They gave me the usual story of how they aren't meant to give the poles away, they weren't going out my side of town etc. I spoke to the blokes for a while and explained where I lived. They told me if they were ever out my way they would try and drop an old pole off for me.
Well, I got home yesterday afternoon and there were 4 poles sitting out the front!
YAY!! Now I can finish the arena and have some left over for strainer posts!

cbrown
24-01-08, 03:25 AM
Yay!

Isn't it cool when good stuff happens? It can really make your day.

I won a $50 Horseland voucher the other day and I was over the moon! It's just such a change from getting the mail and it's rates, power, health insurance, agistment...

Don't get me wrong they were there too... Ha ha ha

mindari
24-01-08, 03:26 AM
one thing to watch out for with dressage areneas made of telegraph poles and the like.
as they age they develop splinters. i saw a horse at hawkesbury brush one and the splinter went into its coronet. end of test end or compeition for months

LindaH
24-01-08, 03:49 AM
Hi Mindari, I know that can be a problem. We live in NW NSW where it hardly ever rains, so the poles take a long time to break down. My friend has an arena that is over 18 years old and the poles are just starting to break down now. Also, it is at home and we work our horses in all round boots and over-reach boots, so there's not much room for a splinter to get in. I'm not planning on riding right up against the edge anyway & hopfully the horse will have better steering after a refresher with the breaker.
When I win lotto :D I hope to build a fence around it too, the sleepers are just to keep the surface in.

mindari
24-01-08, 05:04 AM
my thought was pull it off before it can do damage