PDA

View Full Version : Blac it?

Piny_Pot
24-01-08, 03:00 AM
I'm after suggestions on what to use other than blac-it as im not too fussed on using it.

Are there other products that are better for their hooves?

Also would I be penalised if I used clear rather than black? I plan to compete in low level assoc. dressage?

mindari
24-01-08, 03:45 AM
I just use liquid shoe polish but then im a dag.

judges that cant see past the nail varnish and the makeup and gee gaws on the pretext that without all the crap they cant judge it "on the day"

whatever happend to actually judging the horse?

is the reason im no longer there.

guess what?
you can do an endurance ride no shoes, no saddle no bridle and still win your completion or place awards.

well long as your horse passes the vet checks.
n guess what? long as the vet can get the stethascope on its side and theres enough light for its action to be checked for lameness it will pass! no makeup needed no hoof paint either TO IMPROVE HIS VISION

love it

puddles
24-01-08, 03:49 AM
Hey,
A trainer I was working for at the racetrack put a mixture of stockholme tar and an oil, Im pretty sure it was neatsford (sp?) oil. She didnt do it to look pretty, it was to keep the hooves in good condition, as they were running on a sand track, however, it did make their feet pretty and black! As well as keeping them healthy!
Sorry, Im not a show person, but hope this helps a little!

mindari
24-01-08, 03:51 AM
yes keeps their feet great.
no good for the show scene, it picks up all the dust and looks UGH pretty quick.

lol

Piny_Pot
24-01-08, 03:53 AM
Eeep stockholme tar? I was always told this is awful for hooves. That it use to be used but is actually bad for them - drys them out?

puddles
24-01-08, 03:56 AM
Dunno, all I know the trainer i worked for was one of the few who actually cared about the horses and treated them like horses, not just money makers, and was a VERY experience horse person, not just in the racing scene

Zampari
24-01-08, 04:07 AM
I think Asorbine make one that's supposed to be good for their hooves too if you don't like the black-it.

I don't think you'd get penalised for using clear in the dressage arena. Most dressage competitors don't seem to use anything on their hooves for presentation now anyway(check out pics in Horse Mag etc).

Stockholm tar(I hate the stinking stuff) neither conditions hooves nor dries them out. It keeps whatever moisture is in the hoof in and blocks out any coming in so it can be usefull if you have water logged paddocks.

As a general conditioner I use either Kelato Hoof Prime or atm I'm trying out the Worlds Best Hoof Oil. It seems to soak in quickly.

mindari
24-01-08, 04:53 AM
probaly the neatsfoot oil component that keeps em soft and free of thrush.

mindari
24-01-08, 04:59 AM
Tell you what the stockholm tar is good for.

brother had a mare that had tried to cut her hock off.

all flesh and skin gone. and i mean the entire inside of the hock from bone to bone either side and some 9 inches top to bottom.

the joint sac was ok though.

a years work of constant washing and dressing with yellow lotion had covered most of it with scar tissue but still no skin over half of it.

Hutch (professer Dave Hutchins) couldnt believe she was not only still alive but healed so well when another with just cuts to the same area had to be put down with massive infection.

Sent her to Barry Rose to put her with Dont Retreat.

along with her lotion.

so what did he do. paint it with stockholm tar.

we were horrified after all out painstaking work.

when she came back the last had all healed over.

another thing I saw a guy do with a HORRIBLE pastern wound was smother it in hydrated line HYDRATED remember.

couldnt believe how well it healed.

violetsmum
24-01-08, 06:26 AM
Hi Piny Pot,

I hate Blac-it, and the Padda-wax that old hackies used to apply as face make-up!! Eeekk. Dont me started on dyes!

Use Absorbine black or clear hoof polish. There is also an ECO black hoof polish too (its full name slips my mind at the moment) that is fantastic. The trick is to let both the above products DRY before you move the horse.

If you really like the patent look, give the hoof an ever-so-lightly-LIGHT sandpaper polish before applying hoof black.

Another handy hint: to refresh hoof polish or if you simply dont want polish, spray on hair spray. Gives a great finishing shine, useful for fly-away manes too. Oh... and for some strange reason, hair spray is great for removing hoof black smudges from your hands. A handy soap-spray of sorts. Better to use gloves to apply polish though... and watch out for stomping hooves that can easily knock over pots of hoof polish *sigh*

Cheers!

mindari
24-01-08, 06:29 AM
someone correct me if its wrong.

my vet said rasping or sanding the actual outer hoof wall is the the worst thing you can do to it as it breaks the outer layer and doubles the drying effect to the hoof?

Piny_Pot
24-01-08, 08:06 AM
Thanks.

I had a look at the absorbine one. It sounds good but pretty pricey though $30 for 200ml.

Yes I have heard that regarding sanding the hooves *shrugs* I cant imagine it would be good for them but when they shod they take alot off the hoof wall?

mindari
24-01-08, 08:13 AM
Yep some of em really do fit the foot to the shoe.

not the other way around.

although having bought one whose feet were so splayed we finally bit the bullet and got a well respected barefoot trimmer to "operate" and boy.

what an amazing difference.

he lost a huge amount of foot. lame for weeks poor baby but.

at least even lame he was walking instead of the hobble he used to do.

constant trimming ever since now has normal feet.

happy all round.
in that case he was cut back all the way to the coronet.

wetsawdustdemon
24-01-08, 08:19 AM
You don't need anything on your horses feet for associate dressage. The vast majority don't use anything (I know I never do) and you never see painted black feet.

I believe black hoof polish is actually illegal under FEI rules, not sure how that applies here in Australia to low level comps, but goes to show that it is not the done thing.

Piny_Pot
24-01-08, 08:29 AM
Holy moly all the way to the coronet!

He isn't shod anyway and he's hooves are pretty good luckily but I didnt want to put anything on them. And I know some things either have to be sanded off or use turps and I didnt want to do that either.

wetsawdustdemon great!!! I wasnt too impressed with putting anything on them so I'm not going to worry now. Thank you

:)

Hails
24-01-08, 12:23 PM
hmm, this post got me thinking. Now i havent actually researched anything that i am about to say but it just sort of popped into my head.
Horses hooves are similar to our finger nails. If we put them in water they become soft (so i am guessing that they absorb some moisture) If we leave them un moisturised they become brittle and crack. We put nail polish on them and it doesnt ever damage them.

Has there been any actually research done to see if black it etc is actually detremental to the hoof? I know that my hoof black would only stay on for a day, two at most and with hoof oil applied my horses hooves always looked lovely. And she was showing almost every weekend.

And we apply black treatments to leather...leather breathes and these boot treatments soften the leather.

lol im just typing as i think. does anyone see where my train of thought is going? as i said, i havent looked into it but there is always a lot of negativity placed on blacking feet and i wonder if it actually is all that bad.