PDA

View Full Version : Equijewel

emhem36
24-01-08, 03:12 PM
I have just bought a bag of equijewel ($50 :O) and want to know how much people actually feed per day. In cup measurements would be appreciated as dont have scales. Any other comments on this product good/bad wanted. How long before you see an improvement approx? Has anyone had any heating problems?

My horse is a TB whom has had visible ribs (about 4-5) since i have got him a year and a half ago. He has a HUGE potty but i think that is permenit. He has just gotten hes teeth redone (very bad) and i have heavily bulked up the hay. He has been drenched and wormed. i want to get some condition on him as we are about to compete soon and want him looking and feeling good.
Have done LOTS of long and low work with no back muscel ect.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p233/emhem36/trickys.jpg http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p233/emhem36/trickyeyeballcopy.jpg

Daina84
24-01-08, 03:51 PM
Hi,

I feed my TB mare (while in full work)200mls (just over 1/2 a std coffee cup) and when she need weight i feed her 1 whole cup,

I really like Equijewel as is last a loooooong time

Hope this helps

D84

Delta72
24-01-08, 04:39 PM
For horses in poor condition 4 cups of EquiJewel daily is fine. Most other horses need only 1-2 cups to maintain condition.

Capriole
24-01-08, 10:45 PM
I have one aged 17hh thoroughbred who is very hard to keep condition on and he gets about 4 or 5 cups a day and does well on it - results starting to show within 2 weeks.

But add the amount slowly into the diet ... I started putting a cup a day into my mares feed for coat shine, and she goes absolutely fruit-loopy on it!

vellutosera
25-01-08, 02:03 AM
Definitely call Kentucky Equine Research and speak to one of the nutritionists. They will assist you according to the condition of your horse and exercise etc. I use EJ on my TB. I discovered it once my boy has started improving in condition and didn't look bad at all, but once I started him on his KER diet, just incorporating the feed into the old feed I saw amazing results within a month! I put 1/2 cup of EJ into each feed, so he gets 1 cup per day.

here's KER's website: www.ker.com

good luck!

Equuinox
25-01-08, 02:56 AM
Equijewel is a great product, and I have seen it help out many horses. It's definately on my list of things to recommend customers who ask about weight gain ( safely). In all my years I have only ever heard of one horse going nutty on it, and aparently he goes nutty on cell vital too ( who'd have known?).

I recommend 2 cups am/pm for very under-weight horses and give 1 cup am/pm to those who just need a little more condition. For coat gloss and extra stamina I give my own horse 1/2 cup am/pm. The bag recommends u to 2kg a day, but the KER rep I spoke to laughed at that and said about 90% of it would just go straight through as it's fibre content is huge (I love the reps who come into the store, except the mitavite one who seems to be scared oof me and my questions). He recommended replace the kilos with cups and you're about right.

As for the potty? - I'm guessing that means belly?
Often TB's are fed low protein diets - thought to make them less hyper - unfortunately this will also restrict muscle growth as protein= muscle building. ( sugar funnily enough = energy) So if you are finding that his back muscles are not becoming strong, and he continues to have a belly, increase his protein intake ( lucerne hay is an easy way) to allow him the fuel he needs to muscle build, and then do some good long and low rides to improve it. ( not always easy with a tb I know :) )

Nox

vellutosera
25-01-08, 04:05 AM
Equinnox, can I please ask why you wouldn't suggest something else regarding the Lucerne. Especially with a TB, wouldn't that make him/her a bit loopy too??? If she is feeding lucerne chaff in the diet, wouldn't she be giving the protein from this and then you could just stick to grass? Just asking, not challenging you - it's a chance for me to learn more.
Vxx

Equuinox
25-01-08, 04:14 AM
No worries - always glad to answer questions!

The reason I suggest lucerne over something else - like grain, for increasing muscle mass is due to the sugar content. Some horses, and TBs are generally these ( bred to run short distances at top speed so sugar uptake and expendature on a rapid basis is generally bred for), are very reactive to sugar - makes them hyper as a little kid on green cordial.
So to reduce to chance of a "hyper" horse but continue to muscle build, you need a feed high in protein ( muscle builder) and low in simple sugars (available energy = freak out food). My own horse who is currently trying to build a lot of muscle back is on a fairly high protein/high sugar grainy diet - she's a Wb and very doey (would take Mt Vesuvius blowing up nearby to even get a half reaction out of her), so she can handle that, others are more likely to cause themselves harm on a sugar high!

Hope that explained it?
Nox

vellutosera
25-01-08, 04:33 AM
Yeah, thanks for that. My boy, in his hey day, was a sprinter so that's why we were careful when devising his diet. He's on a low gi, with EJ and supplements, oaten chaff and lucerne. I can't rave enough about the KER products. You get quality, and whilst some people think they are expensive initially, you really see the cost effectiveness as you don't need as much feed.

Equuinox
25-01-08, 04:41 AM
KER are a great company with plenty of research behind them. They send us great quarterly updates on their stuff and their reps are always helpful!
I particularly like their electrolyte replacer "Restore" we find it one of the best and very economical. We have about 4 horses on the stuff and all are calm contented horses ( electrolytes are great as a calmative as some horses can get a bit nutty if their salts are out of whack, expecially potassium levels as they help nerve function and muscle twtich response). Equijewel is one of my fav products - but peole spack out at the price, untill I point out it is more of a supplement than a feed, then they settle down. I swear some owners are worse than their horses for freak out ability!

Nox

nushiek8
25-01-08, 07:29 AM
I used to feed equijewel, I am sure it wasnt THAT expensive, it was about $35 which is more then most of the feeds i had been feeding but in the scheme of things, gum nuts are around the same price and equijewel lasts forever.

carly82
25-01-08, 11:28 AM
my half-dead style ASH went completely barmy on about 2 hanfuls a day, after 3 days, leaping around, spooking at everything and generally being hot anmd very very strange. I stopped feeding it immediately.
this is a horse who never shies and needs a cracker up his bum to move!

foxni483
25-01-08, 11:39 AM
i feed low GI sport horse, it has EJ in it.
EJ is expensive but you feed much less of it than say sweet feed.

My horses don't heat up on the low GI (point of it, like Nutella for kids have u seen the adds?!).
My mare starts to hallucinate on sweet feed, :p
the low GI gave her energy without making her mental!

emhem36
26-01-08, 06:34 AM
Thanks everyone.

Other then chaffs and supplements what do you all feed with the equijewel?? (you do feed other stuff dont you)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p233/emhem36/trickys.jpg http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p233/emhem36/trickyeyeballcopy.jpg

26-01-08, 07:08 AM
Shop around for EJ. My local feed supplier sells it for about $54 /20kg but I notice Sydney Equestrian Supplies have it for $41.50