PDA

View Full Version : Showjumping/eventing stables

eventa
25-01-08, 05:24 AM
Greetings!

I am after the names and possible websites for showjumping or eveting stables in Queensland, preferably gold coast or brisbane based. I am aware of Belcam and Lacona, but having a complete brain freeze and cant think of any others??

Can some peeps out there suggest any?

Thanks

Horses4keeps
25-01-08, 06:28 AM
I'm at Uni, so don't have web addresses handy, but off the top of my head, the ones I'm happy to name are:

-eventing - Kevin McNab - Kelcyn Stud - (Mt Tamborine)
-eventing - Melissa Van der Burg, nee Hughes (Beaudesert)
-showjumping - Michelle and Peter McMahon - Kolora Stud (Waterford - Showjumping legends - not teaching anymore, though, but very handy contacts)

JEC
25-01-08, 06:37 AM
Paula Hamood is at Kilcoy....showjumping

eventa
26-01-08, 02:35 AM
OO Thank-you very much

I am looking for work with preferably a showjumping stable, never really been employed as a Groom/Stablehand/Rider before, but obviously owning and competing horses of your own is great experience!

Has or does anyone work in the industry? Any good or Bad experiences? Pay? other staff members ?

Thoughts and feelings please?! :)

Ridingboots
26-01-08, 03:29 AM
Hi.. I know from personal experience that Kevin is a lovely person and think he would be worth contacting as I am sure he would have a lot of knowledge to share.

Equineaffair
26-01-08, 03:54 AM
Try looking on the yard and groom website. It is a free job finding site for employees. You will find a few places in QLD listed there looking for people.

Horses4keeps
26-01-08, 03:59 AM
I vouch for Kevin. I have worked in yards in Qld and NSW and I have had good and bad experiences. I learnt so much about handling, treating, feeding and training from working with some fabulous pro riders. Grooming at comps is massively hard work, but I love it.

I have only ever heard good things about Kevin, as he is very professional, has good facilities (important when working in a big yard) and he looks after his horses.

I have worked in another 'well known' yard, where:
-the pro rider uses, abuses and treats staff horrendously
-horses are rarely treated properly for illnesses and injuries (a client's 3* horse cut its leg, wasn't treated and ended up with a massive infection and a leg the sixe of an elephant)
-charges clients for the pro rider to school their horses, yet puts whoever happens to be around at the time to ride them and
-skimps on quality and quantity of feed for clients horses, while charging massive agistment (once gave half-rotten carrots to the horses in their feeds and most of them ended up with colic)..... I could go on for ever, but won't.

princessme
26-01-08, 04:08 PM
email me re working for kevin
He is currently hiring...

lealea_21@msn.com

eventa
31-01-08, 04:17 AM
ooo ooo LOL

Email is on its way

Already sent a PM

eventa
31-01-08, 05:11 AM
2 emails sent

HedgeWitch
31-01-08, 06:04 AM
Check this site out for the award so you understand what you are entitled to.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/ims/NSW/Awards/12/05/16/support/AN120516_TOC_EX.htm

Hedgy

eventa
31-01-08, 07:27 AM
I dont think many would stick to this guide would they? lol

HedgeWitch
31-01-08, 09:59 AM
If they don't have an award or such then I wouldn't work for them as it might also indicate that you are not covered by insurance etc which can have huge implications if you do have an accident. Everyone knows horses and ouchies seem to go side by side, especially when working with them day in and day out.

Hedgy