PDA

View Full Version : Sowing Paddocks

stemare
26-01-08, 06:21 AM
Now that the drought has slightly broken in NSW I would like to pasture improve my paddocks. Could anyone tell what are good reference books or what I should do. I am on 5 acres in nth west metro sydney,some rocky bits, one paddock gets afternoon shade the others generally get full sun. Parts have trees. What is best to sow, I can irrigate off a dam.

gdh
26-01-08, 07:47 AM
Check this out http://www.stephenpastureseeds.com.au/content.asp?pid=100738 this is the horse seed mix & depending on how serious you are, a soil test is always the 1st step to ascertain what's lacking etc. http://www.swep.com.au/pages/home/home.html
You may want to kill off everything & start from scratch in which case you'll need glycosphate & maybe something in with it.

Mighty
26-01-08, 07:51 AM
I think that I found some good tips on the internet particularly DPI. I have just spend the last little while resowing my paddocks and it is a very exciting prospect. I sprayed my paddocks with grazon to kill some of the broad leaf weeds which thrived during the drought. Then every time it looked like rain I bought a mix of seeds which were specifically designed for horse paddocks. That way you get a mix of grasses for all seasons. Any time it rained I ran outside and spread the seed around. Then I made sure the horses stayed off that area while it grew. I still have a long way to go but gradually my paddocks are getting some decent grass on them. Good luck with your grass. From

Leigh54
26-01-08, 10:13 AM
Have just had 50 acres of pasture improvement done. Rang the local Agronomist, she came out and made alist of the grasses that do well in this area, and as previous poster stated, that provide growth through all seasons.

i had it direct drilled, but i don't know if it would be worth dowing 5 acres because the set up cost it a fair bit. You also need 12ft gates for the machinery.....so the previous poster who is broadcasting it has probably given you the most practical option, for the size of your land, as I'm presuming your 5 acres is divided into paddocks, so if they are only 1 acre then the direct driller would only get so far and have to back up to turn around if you can picture what I mean.

There is however a very economical little super spreader you can get that runs off it's own axle. It spins. It's shaped like any supersreader but is a lot smaller and you hitch it to the towball of your car and drive. Sorry you first put your seed in the spreader and as you drive it spins and spits out the seed to a 15 meter radius. I did some of the little one and two acre paddocks with this and it works for the grasses like rye and the clovers, not much good for those that need a bed though, but it doesn't sound like you're working up the soil anyway.

I'm a bit concerned about you using Grazon though for the broadleaf plants, I mean it's a bit of overkill. Sounds like you must have had a lot of woody weeds in it, as I have only ever used Grazon, Garlon and Brushoff for the tough woody weeds etc. For broadleaf like Patterson's, Marshmallow Plant, Mustard Weed, Khaki Weed, Fat Hen and Cat Head we use MCPA with a little bit of Igran. But just about every Elders store has an agronomist.

But the main thing is not to let it get to where you have bare patches of dirt. Don't slash either. I know it looks better but if the grass gets long and bends over it provides a lovely protected area for seeds to germinate and will block the weeds. Not that you won't be rid of them completely but grasses will take ofver. When you graze, and it's easier said than done, don't let it get below ankle length......yeh, easier said than done. If you can leave each paddock 60 days before you rotate......yeh, easier said than done.

Another thing is to harrow after it rains. It works beautifully. Not with sharp harrows. Avoid breaking the earth....more weeds. Just get an old gate and drag it around so that you disperse the manure. But on smaller acreage you probably pick it all up, but it's not what you do on 10 and 15 acre paddocks....

Hope this helps.