PDA

View Full Version : Interesting treatment for eye injur

SAM_JONES
26-01-08, 08:25 AM
My 2yo managed to get what looked like an oat husk stuck in his eye & it has ulcerated quite badly.

When he had had it removed & had some pain relief etc. the vets then took some blood, centrifuged it down, added a few extras to it and the resulting serum goes straight into his eye 3 times a day.

He is also on other medication but this is the first time I have heard of blood being used to make a serum for this purpose.

He is improving slowly & is very sick of me poking things in his sore eye!!! We are going back to the vets on Tues.

Sam.

Princess Paris
26-01-08, 08:29 AM
Wow Sam, that is interesting! I have never heard of that either. I have always just been given eye ointments for anything like that.

I hope he has a quick recovery!

opensky
26-01-08, 08:36 AM
Sam, by pure coincidence (time of year I guess) I noticed when removing flymasks last night that my old mare had some gunk under her eye, and on closer inspection I saw the tail of a barley grass seed sticking out of the corner of her eye. I managed to pull it out, just hope I got the whole seed as they do break off leaving other 'arrowheads' further up. She was fine this morning so with luck, it's out. We have one small patch of barley grass that I spray every year, but always a bit manages to appear! Hate the stuff!

Interesting about the serum treatment! An old-timer told me once that if you ever spot something in your horse's eye and can't do anything at the time, a useful strategy was to get a mouthful of milk, swill it around in your mouth to warm it, and then spit it into the horse's eye. Apparently that fatty layer in the milk will collect small particles and then you can wipe the eye gently. (Never tried it but you'd want a really quiet horse eh?)

Hope your boy gets better! Regards!

SAM_JONES
26-01-08, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the good wishes!

Opensky, It's funny but I think there must be something in the milk thing!!!
Only I was told that it needed to be as fresh as possible as in straight from the teat & untreated mothers milk!
I took Mojo with me to a clinic last weekend so that I could keep treating him & there was a lady there who has a small tribe of kids. She told me that breast milk in the eye has always cured any eye problems her kids had had!!

Sam.

dante
26-01-08, 11:04 AM
OK,
step one, find a nursing mother,
step 2 disrobe the donor and squirt ponies eye
HMMMM
Could get as bad as the sheath cleaning.

Syzygy
26-01-08, 11:31 AM
Yups, I have heard of the 'blood' treatment for eye injuries.

opensky
26-01-08, 11:32 AM
LOL Dante! That's hilarious!
Visions of Step 2 boggle the brain!
But, nup, NOTHING is as bad as sheath cleaning!

bindi123
26-01-08, 01:02 PM
Yep milk eye washes have been around a long long time....LOL The serum blood thing is something that has been used in treating joint problems in horses. They take out blood, get it down to the bits they want, add something and inject into the joint. I think its called IRAP......vets in Victoria have been having great results.

Dante....sheath cleaning...lol.....anyone noticed that horses always get very "shy" about this time.....they have no trouble dropping it out, but try grabbing it and watch it race to disappear!!

If there was EVER a use for gloves its at that time......

*GAG*

Bindi

Anarabis
26-01-08, 01:51 PM
im treating a pony atm with an eye ulcer also(no obvious reason to have one)... the vet withdrew the blood told us to put it in the fride and then to draw off the top of the blood when it separates (serum) this must be a reasonably new idea as when i was last treating an ulcer(caused by chaff) i was just told to use atropine that was four or five years ago... .
the pony is getting his eyed washed with serum first then atropine then (oh shyte is on the end of my tongue) so he not enjoying it one bit
he gets a bit of apple between each mode of torcher
unfortunatly two vet vists later (and four x's a day treatment)he is not responding as well as he should we are still treating him vet comes again on tuesday

Neisje
26-01-08, 02:05 PM
Actually its a very old idea! I haven't seen a vet draw blood to treat an eye for about 10 years or more! Must be coming back into favour :-)

Neisje

SAM_JONES
27-01-08, 03:59 AM
It's funny how even really important things go in & out of fashion isn't it!?

Mojo's eye is definitely improving,in the last couple of days he has really turned a corner.
I'm still not sure if he will be left with scarring in the eye or not. But at least I'm pretty sure that he will regain most of his sight in the affected eye.

We go back to the vet in three days.I just wish they were closer!!
Still I guess it is giving him travel experience!

Sam.