PDA

View Full Version : Slipping on ramp

twinkletoes
29-01-08, 04:28 AM
Just looking for suggestions for my float ramp. I bought a JR Easy traveller to stop my horse scrambling (which has worked), but the problem is that when he gets off, even though there is a sprayed rubber floor, he is slipping on it and knuckling over. Not the result I want! The ramp is definitely steeper than my old float and he is a big horse and definitely needs something more to grip onto. Timber slats? Anyone had similar problem?

opensky
29-01-08, 04:45 AM
Hardwood decking slats work well.
Local timer yard can cut them in half down the length.
Then run a sander up the cut edge so it has a little curved edge, to prevent chipping.
Seal with decking oil or creosote or similar, and screw in every foot or so.
Works well, not expensive.
Regards!

JALisaac
29-01-08, 05:21 AM
I have had a similar problem TT...I actually have put a layer of fatique rubber over the sprayed floor just for that reason...inside the float also..some of that sprayed floor stuff can be really slippery..a friends horse actually slipped over in the float..

Toby
29-01-08, 05:26 AM
I had the same problem - I had timber slats put underneath the rubber and they work fabulously - I think it cost about $100 but i havent had any problems at all since, even in the rain - i got my float manufacturer to do it

twinkletoes
29-01-08, 07:06 AM
where do you get fatique rubber from?

Kath
29-01-08, 07:45 AM
I had the same problem. I went to Clarke Rubber and got an rubber mat. It has ridges on it and has stopped them slipping and falling. The only problem is the ramp now weighs a tonne. I really need to get an extra spring or gas lift thingy added.

Elwood stinie
29-01-08, 09:43 AM
I have the same problem and plan to go to clark rubber and get some strips or rubber, same theroy as the wooden slats except I have seen so many wooden slats rot and break down with age.

poor ted
29-01-08, 01:47 PM
I have the same problem with my JR. I did talk to them prior to buying it as I was told it was a problem- we have fixed it- they said- new rubber non slip- bollocks and I believed them.

Apparently the top layer is supposed to lift and leave the bottom layer- HUH. The lifting top layer was what had the grip- the layer that is left is smooth and very shiny- go figure

When I complained they said shod horses have no difficulty with the rubber- So what about the unshod ones??? Honestly what can you say

The difficulty is with the ramp being an odd shape. I have just ordered some float ramp matting from

http://www.flexitec.com.au/newproducts.htm

I reckon even though it will not be across the entire ramp it will be enough to stop my boy from slipping. He was slipping because it was so dry and hot- goodness knows what it will be like when it finally rains again.

Funnily enough it has just arrived by courier- it had been missing in action somewhere. I can let you know how it goes- I should be able to put it on on the weekend.

And I will be taking before and after pics to show them at JR

htims
29-01-08, 02:45 PM
I have conveyor belt rubber in float, non-slip, but heavy to move if gets wet underneath. No good for ramp, gets slippery if wet. And splits easily when being handled. My ramp now has the blue stuff they use on floor of small boats (bit like lot larger version of stuff they use for scotchbrite scouring pads), with old cleats screwed on over the top, about 9in apart (I can measure this distance if you wish). No more slipping on wet days.

Kath
29-01-08, 04:02 PM
Poor Ted mine was even worse in the wet :( I never really bothered complaining. Perhaps we should, if we all let them know they might try to do more about it. Also I thought the shod horses slipped more!! It's pretty annoying considering how much we pay and for me the flooring was a huge selling point because it looked good and like it wouldn't be slippery!!

poor ted
30-01-08, 02:05 AM
I could imagine Kath how slippery it is in the wet- I seem to be the drought queen and wherever I have lived for the last 2 years (since I have had the float) has been in drought.

My young horse actually started scrambling in the float- yep in an anti-scrambling float- the floor is way too slippery inside when wet (with poo but what horse doesn't poo in the float) so when he got a bit scared and his feet slipped, he panicked and started scrambling.

I now put down heaps of wood shavings esp. under his hind feet and that seems to work well- soaks up excess moisture and have also done alot of work getting him more confident in the float

I suspect most float floors are very slippery when wet- what the manufactures are thinking when they design these things is beyong me.

What is annoying is that I told them I knew someone had told me the float ramp was slippery and I was going to get them to put slates across it at the time I ordered it but I went on their word it had been changed and no longer was slippery- well it is. As I am at opposite ends of the country it makes it nigh impossible to get anything done about it.

You live and learn

twinkletoes
30-01-08, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I was beginning to think that I was imagining things with my horse and float, but clearly NOT! For the record, my horse is shod and is knuckling over (probably starting from the fact he does sometimes poo in the float) so I think I'll go the slat and extra rubber in float. I also think that the release system in the back is a pain. It took us a few gos to get him not to rush off and of course you end up dropping the bar if you don't get it out quick enough. (He generally doesn't rush, but remember the reason I got this float was because he was scrambling, so took a few times to restore sanity!) Sigh, sometimes I wonder if I should have gone the angle load route instead!