PDA

View Full Version : Best hoof supplement? Biotin? Herb

CateH
29-01-08, 09:54 AM
Storm, who is currently barefoot, is getting chips on his forefeet. I'd like to give him a supplement to help manage this, as well as the trimming of course.

I haven't used Biotin before, but did feed Rosehips for several years. Good for the coat, and he certainly had hard feet, but he was shod then, so I can't really compare.

What does y'all think about Biotin and other similar things?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/Cateh/horsebar1.gif

Horse sense - something that horses have that stops them betting on humans.

Mona
29-01-08, 10:13 AM
as far as I know, rosehips has biotin in it naturally

pea_nutz
29-01-08, 11:03 AM
I've been using rosehip and seaweed meal for the last siz months and although my boys feet were pretty darn good, they are bloody fantastic now!!! Cheap easy and his coat is just amazing!!

Piny_Pot
30-01-08, 03:20 AM
As Mona said rosehips do contain biotin. Im not sure on the amounts though.

I feed rosehips and Didget and Jaffy both have lovely feet and coats. Didget isn't shod. I really like rosehips, I think they have made an improvement and will continue to feed them for this reason.

A good balanced diet is just as important for healthy hooves. You can add supplements if needed but it all begins with a good diet IMO.

CateH
30-01-08, 03:29 AM
This is true.... and I think his diet is pretty good - he's on very good pasture during the day plus two hard feeds morning and night when he come into a yard. He gets the usual chaff, plus some pellets at the moment.... plus dolomite and salts. He's in very good nick - doesn't need any more bulk for sure, the coat is shiny, he's got dapples.

I may well put him back on the rosehips - which also bring up his coat (he's a chestnut). But I want to compare them to the other supplements.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/Cateh/horsebar1.gif

Horse sense - something that horses have that stops them betting on humans.