PDA

View Full Version : Cytec Update 4

Oscar
30-01-08, 04:57 AM
Well I knew it was too good to last!
My boy lost a front shoe yesterday, and was severely lame without the support of the shoe. Now this would be normal for most horses, but I've had him lose normal shoes without the pronnounced lameness he now has.
The pins that are placed at the extreame back of the shoe have actually sheared off and half remains in the hoof. The shoe was just sitting in the paddock with no obvious signs of being ripped off.
I phoned the farrier who had originally put the shoes on and he was not answering (probably away for the weekend). So fortunately I contacted a farrier to come and inspect the foot for damage and he said because of the lack of hoof, the soreness was due to the sole being in close contact with hard ground. There were no signs of abcess (which can occur with these shoes) or any damage to the frog or heels. He loaned me a boot to keep the horse comfortable until I can get him re-shod.

I have therefore decided to cease my trial of these shoes as;

1. The shoe came off too easily after only 3 1/2 weeks
2. The pins were sheared off and that means the force of the impact with the ground must have been huge
3. The severe lameness is not normal for this horse when he loses a shoe
4. I have had so many responses against the use of the shoe for so many practical reasons

So thanks everyone for your responses, and I hope my account helps others out there in making a decision about using these shoes.

Equuinox
30-01-08, 05:06 AM
Thankyou so much for the week to week updates about these shoes, it has been very informative! As a person who gets asked half a million questions about all sort of horsey topics its great to hear an account of something that I previously had no knowledge of!

I find that an account that is taken at face value, with no pros or cons to the subject to start with always seems to be a good one. I'm rambling - just thanks :)
Nox

NikJ
30-01-08, 06:04 AM
Re the pins - do you mean nails? The farrier may have used thinner nails - these do sheer off easier than the thicker nails but also tend to cause less hoof damage/removal.

I have only seen one horse with these shoes and they made me uncomfortable re the shape of the hoof and the way they sat on the foot as well. Part of the advice from their farrier was not to clean out the hooves as the pressure of the built up dirt supported the frog. From that comment I just went 'oh ok' and walked away. It may well be that their farrier is a bit of a zealot though but it was enough for me.

Oscar
30-01-08, 06:22 AM
The pins are like little smooth bolts that go in the back part of the shoe to help hold it in place. They do not have a sharp point like a nail, nor do they stick out the side wall of the hoof to be clenched and filed like a nail.
The nails are placed in the normal positions but closer to the hoof wall.

Yes the square toe was unsightly, but the movement of the horses stride was larger and seemed to flow on nicely (so you didn't notice the toe as much when moving).
The concept is good, but the shoe is not.

CM
30-01-08, 07:47 AM
I a horse on the weekend whose previous "issues" seem to have been resoundingly overcome with the use of the Cytec shoes. Apparently he keeps them on for 10 weeks or so.

I have no problem with the look of the Cytec-shod hoof shape as we have natural balance shoes on one horse and the others are shod similarly. It seemed like the Cytec concept was just a more radical variation of this. So, I was going to discuss with my farrier the concept of using Cytecs on the horse currently wearing the NB shoes.

However I thought the pins were more like little rounded studs - didn't know that they protruded inwards?

Elwood stinie
30-01-08, 08:25 AM
Now that you say that about the pins snapping, I do remember hearing of it happening to other horses too, it did make people think about the jarring the shoe must cause...

As you were happy with the change in your horse I would talk to your farrier about Natural Balance shoes or even just rolling the toes of standard shoes. That way you get the benefits of the square toe in a shoe that is fitted to the hoof not vice versa!

CM
30-01-08, 08:54 AM
Unfortunately some farriers just don't "get" the Natural Balance concept. I sold a horse a few years ago who was shod this way - very successfully, although he didn't wear NB shoes. The property manager where his new owner kept him was really rude about the way he was shod, and said that only "navicular horses" needed rolled toes. He was a real nasty old-timer with a filthy temper and a closed mind.

I'm really happy about the NB shoes on the current horse who is wearing them. His problem is keeping shoes on in summer, but a new set of mesh leg protectors seems to be doing the job - no more stamping!

k8
30-01-08, 10:29 AM
CM, There is no benefit to the horse in leaving the same set of shoes on for 10 weeks. The heels grow too long (square toed shoes will allow the toe to wear back...but this means a totally unbalanced foot because the heels etc cannot wear).. you can end up with underslung, contracted heels as a result.

DO
30-01-08, 12:20 PM
Oh well you tried.

There is a new shoe available but not widely used yet.

It is the Kerkheart Classic Roller. I was put onto them by one of mentors, and they work really well.

The shoe is similar to a trotters shoe, in that it a half round shoe. it also ever so slightly flatter in the toe. Most people wouldnt see it so it looks absolutely normal.

What the shoe does is create the effect of a rolled toe, without the invasive work needed to roll the toe normally.

I am using on most a my horses and are very happy with them, particularly one really big moving gelding with legs like a spider, It helps his break so reduces his interference.

Kath
30-01-08, 12:21 PM
Good luck with him Oscar, hope you find a solution :)

I'm not familiar with these shoes other than the square toe look. I didn't know they had pins at the back? You mean near the heel? I seem to recall from some of the many barefoot/shod debates that shoes do allow for movement in the back of the hoof as the nails are always more towards the front. So if everyone is in agreeance that the hoof does flex and move to some degree on impact, why on earth would they want to stick pins way back there and restrict what little movement is left!! Something must give, and better it's the little pins sheering off rather than your horse developing quarter cracks!!

gdh
30-01-08, 01:08 PM
I too believed in flexion of the rear of the foot as long as the nails were placed well forward untill it was proven to me that the action begins from the coronet band above the toe centre & spreads backwards from there. Unfortunately, with no built in hinges, foot remains static.

jmb
30-01-08, 05:07 PM
We have used #####'s on one of our horses for years but they didn't have pins at the back of the shoes. If as sometimes happens he lost a shoe he was no more lame that if it was a "normal" shoe that he had lost. The only time this horse has had an abcess was when we had the shoes removed with the aim of retiring the horse but he has since been un-retired and re-shod using Natural Balance shoes as farrier now prefers to use these over the #####'s (supply reasons). #####'s were initially suggested by our vet to minimize tripping that was potentially leading to an early retirement. They were successful in doing this.

CM
31-01-08, 05:11 AM
k8, I was blown away by the stated time of 10 weeks (mine are done 5 weekly) - but this C - shod horse, who was chronically lame originally, had perfectly acceptable looking feet shapes. The horse is now apparently very sound. I saw him in full work, jumping, and moving freely on hard ground. Normally, I am a sceptic about miracle cures, but this one was pretty amazing.

Oscar
31-01-08, 05:30 AM
>Oh well you tried.
>
>There is a new shoe available but not widely used yet.
>
>It is the Kerkheart Classic Roller. I was put onto them by
>one of mentors, and they work really well.
>
>The shoe is similar to a trotters shoe, in that it a half
>round shoe. it also ever so slightly flatter in the toe.
>Most people wouldnt see it so it looks absolutely normal.
>
>What the shoe does is create the effect of a rolled toe,
>without the invasive work needed to roll the toe normally.
>
>I am using on most a my horses and are very happy with them,
>particularly one really big moving gelding with legs like a
>spider, It helps his break so reduces his interference.

I am interested.
Have you got anymore info on that shoe DO?

DO
31-01-08, 05:46 AM
The Kerckhaert we site is

http://www.kerckhaert.com/

Go to shoes

then

Concave-riding horseshoes a-class / century / classic

then

Series CLASSIC ROLLER QUARTERCLIPS

The site Dante posted you would also find intersting

http://www.farrier-giles.co.uk/farriery.htm