PDA

View Full Version : Hi Rod another question.

mindari
30-01-08, 06:46 AM
spotted on horse deals.

Tasmanian Biosecurity Guidelines for Horse Events
The following guidelines, while not mandatory, are highly recommended for any non-racing equine event as part of on-going biosecurity within the equine industry. These guidelines take the place of all previous requirements and guidelines including those for large events (10 or more horses), small events (fewer than 10 horses) and pony rides.

* Organisers should be willing, able and have the means to report suspect disease to the Emergency Animal Disease (EAD) Hotline on 1800 675 888 immediately they are aware of it.

* Collection of tracing information on horses: here is a Declaration Form (Tracing Log) with the essential information required.

* As a condition of entry, all gear and vehicles should be clean (with the exception of road dust) and presented for inspection by event officials. Vehicles and gear should be cleaned on return to home before being used again.

* Any horse becoming sick must be immediately reported to stewards or officials. If equine influenza (horse flu) is suspected (fever >38.5°C, nasal discharge, coughing, inappetence, depression), it must be immediately reported to the EAD Hotline on 1800 675 888 - this is everybody’s responsibility.

* For the duration of the event, a vet should be either on site or the event organiser should have the contact details for a vet within easy distance to enable a timely examination of sick horses.

www.dpiw.tas.gov.au

Condsidering the present ruling is if an organiser of an event finds a suspect horse or a lockdown is called when an event is in progress and all costs of such lockdown is to be bourne by the organisers. what group would be so ready to report what will send em broke?

are any talks in progress to get the government to rescind that ruling and accept any such costs?

rodh
30-01-08, 09:27 AM
Interestingly enough the risk that a lockdown might occur has always been there but no-one was aware of it until EI hit.

I think governments are saying there is a risk and you should be aware of it. Post EI eradication I think that government and organisers are going to incorporate it in their planning.

The best example I could use is the need to plan a disposal area for chickens in the event of a major mortality or exotic disease in a poultry farm. They never used to worry about it until a few exotic diseases forced the killing of a few hundred thousand birds. Where to put them? Like carcase disposal, planning for emergencies is something we will get used to.

mindari
30-01-08, 09:43 AM
You dont get it do you.

with this hanging over the heads of our thousands of country ag societys it was bad enough before EI hit keeping entries up.

now far more than you obviously imagine will give up and not have horse events. many are struggling to survive due to lack of volanteers as it was. this could be the death knell for many.

the racing industry is back on track.

i dont think you or the dpi have a clue how far reaching this is going to be on these groups.

there was the risk as you said. but guess what?

the govt footed the bill for Warwick.

now its shoved all responsibility onto groups that have no way of coping now or the future. insurance will not cover it or if they do the premiums will destroy them anyway.

I could understand it if it were not for the FACT the govt has its butt well and truly covered with the victorian quarantine station thats privately owned they have to foot all costs if they let EI out.

whats good for the goose is supposed to be good for the gander

surely?

mindari
30-01-08, 09:50 AM
If the federal government refuses to wear any responsibility for their facilities failings then surely they are being pretty hypricital that the victorian private station has it in their contract to operate that they have to pay out if they had an eastern creek incident?

dante
30-01-08, 10:26 PM
Copied from a Horse Show Program and similar wordings seem to be common now.
"Should the XXXXX Show be forced into lock down due to Equine Influenza, the show committee will hold no responsibility. The owner of the infected horse WILL be liable to bear ALL associated costs should this occur."
Ambiguous? Could be taken to mean that the first infected horses owner pays the costs for all horses? Or does it mean that owners pay their own costs if the Show is locked down ?
Either way, any risk at all is going to cost the Show Society and owners heaps of dollars.

rodh
31-01-08, 02:09 AM
Mindari

>You dont get it do you.

Is this addressed to me? If so, an apology would be in order.

Perhaps I do understand. I am on the Committee of the local show. Our show is on 9 / 10 February. The local show is small and, yes like many others, is struggling. I've been on the phone this morning organising the meat for the show BBQ. Yes, volunteers are scarce and the busy people get things done.

We have re-introduced horse events at short notice having cancelled them in December. The disease situation was stable enough that we felt there was no risk of lockdown if we ran horse events.

Over the weekend I was organising editorial and adverts for the local paper for their Show feature. What do you mean I wouldn't have a clue about small community groups? What a damn hide you have making any sort of personal judgment about people you don't know.

I also have received 48 pages of comments from AHIC respondents to the latest survey detailing their costs, losses, frustrations, inconveniences etc etc. I haven't read them all but scanned enough to see the range of issues faced.

We have also received hundreds or possibly thousands of complaints (calls, emails and letters)about the cost of vaccinations and microchipping plus the inconvenience of paperwork and restrictions.
If we want to avoid the ongoing costs we need to eradicate. That is what a majority want.

I reckon I have as good an idea as anyone of all the issues involved.

If you have a complaint get stuck into the Federal Government. Although they have some relief schemes it is hard to comply with the conditions to get a grant. Our show committee is going to apply for loss of income and increased costs as a result of EI.

BTW I heard that a company was prepared to insure against lockdown for a reasonable fee. That sounds like a really good investment for an insurance compnay given the risk must be close to zero. (Send money and we'll send a receipt and a written guarantee that the disease will not cause a lockdown!)

bindi123
31-01-08, 04:12 AM
You all might remember that months ago, and up until a few weeks ago I mentioned the ramification of insurance on the clean up efforts and beyond.

Having had quiet a bit to do with insurance and negligence issues I know just how hard-line companies are. The fine print can be a killer!

Insurance and cost of premiums has the potential to cripple whatever come back the horse sector is anticipating. Regardless of the verdict declared by ANY department, insurance companies have long memories and no doubt will have the number crunchers doing tallys on what each lockdown cost patrons and venue owners ect.

People and companies are always looking to buck pass. Venue owners/operators want to hand over liability to the organisation hiring it, the organisation what to hand over that same liability to their members....and that bottom line is us, the membership.

Yes eventually someone will yell "eradicated" and the cheer will go up. But someone higher up the food chain will be profiteering from the spectre of the past. The government WILL be recouping the funds paid out in help and benefits. It WILL come in the form of some levy for the priviledge of horse ownership. I expect to see individual membership fees rise (and if you are a member of a few then you'll pay that contribution more than once).

Insurance companies will charge an 'on the top' fee for a lockdown....it will become necessary to insure against EI even if EI is declared 'gone'. The same as people insure against theft....we don't know we will be a victim but we insure in case we are....
Associations will be too scared not to and some venue/business operators will not hire without a copy of policy...

Its called multiple arse covering and it flows on down the line until.....you guessed it........it stops with us!

Cheers,
Bindi

mindari
01-02-08, 02:27 PM
from what Im hearing from many friends who are show society members they are not game to risk it.

thats why I asked the original question

if thats the present consensus there will be many not prepared to take the risk for quite some time.

very sad scenario.

and Rod you are the only one I can ask.
you know as well as any of us here federally its a question where there are no ears

all switched off.

the callihan enquiry even if it has proven all our fears were correct, I and pretty many I suspect this is only being done to give the plebs the feeling something is being done and dissappate anger.

the chances of anything coming of it are as about as stong as that AQIS meeting to discuss inplementing better protocols sent in 2004 and too busy to call the meeting.

I have my copy of Yes Minister and its playing out pretty much exact to the book on placating the masses without any damage

If you doubt me how many inquests and enquiries have gone into our killer hospital system and recommendations ignored.

if the political system isnt interested in saving human life then we are being pretty optimistic that they would spend one cent on beefing up quarantine.

I have pretty intimate knowledge as the system eliminated my mum in just 12 weeks from being stupid enough to be hurt and dependant on their "care". as they didnt the mistake has now been buried as will the inquest if they can bury it like they did initially of that poor young girl hit with the golf ball. Her poor parents had to fight how many years to even get justice seen to be done.