PDA

View Full Version : Older Bates Saddles

sun_line
31-01-08, 10:10 AM
Does anybody know if the gullets on the Pre-Easy Change Gullet Bates can be changed by a saddler?

Thanks.

Reg
31-01-08, 10:15 AM
Some can, some cant - depends on the model.

A friend had an older Olympia - saddler told her just not worth it..

I have a older Caprilli that we had adjusted, but just wasnt right for the horse at all.. kept the saddle, sold the horse, new horse, saddle fits...

Take it to a good saddler and see what is said..

Reg

Horses4keeps
31-01-08, 10:15 AM
My pre-easy change saddles (a 12 year old Maestro and a jump saddle) can both have their gullots changed by a saddler. It is my understanding that all older Bates saddles can have their gullits changed by a saddler

Alpeony
31-01-08, 10:36 AM
My older Preciuex (bought in 1996/1997) can have its gullet changed by a saddler. I had it done once but it still didn't fit the fatty so I had to buy a new saddle.

vickits
31-01-08, 11:28 AM
Any saddle tree/gullet can be changed by a saddler, the question is whether or not it is worth the money. I sold a brand new Bates Liberte about a year ago and the person who purchased it had to change the tree, it cost her $100 but considering she only paid $600 for a brand new saddle she still got a bargain. If your saddle is worth less than, say $500, then its probably not worth getting the gullet changed. A qualified saddler can give you a better opinion though, contact one to get some advice.

jjm
01-02-08, 04:55 AM
not every gullet can be changed, but the gullet is only a small part of the overall fit of a saddle.

the fit of most saddles (changeable gullet or not) can be substantially altered by a real saddler.

foxni483
01-02-08, 09:57 AM
all the Bates i have ever had can be changed.
Saddler said they all can

Stuubens can't, which was annoying as i had the chance to get a nice dressage one for $100 lol

Bad Bones
01-02-08, 10:03 AM
I have a Bates Maestro about 10 years old. I have had the gullet changed by a saddler several times and only costs me $30 each time
I have 3 different sized gullets & just take the appropriate one in with the saddle
Takes him less than an hour and I can pick it up the same day