PDA

View Full Version : How Tall ?

Rusty#1 (Guest)
22-04-01, 12:37 PM
I've heard that there is a formula and or a method using a piece of string to calculate how tall your baby horse will grow. Does anyone know of this?

Michelle (Guest)
23-04-01, 03:42 AM
The method I have heard is to take a piece of string from the Ergot to the point of the elbow and measure it and then take the same piece of string from the point of the elbow up to the wither and depending on how much extra string there is is how much more growing your horse has to go. I have tested it on a lot of horses both grown and babies and have found it to be acurate within about one inch.

SamL (Guest)
23-04-01, 10:49 AM
This is true.

My friend and I did this the other day when I was trying to find out est. mature height for my colt. We tried it first on a 17yr mare (no relation to colt) and we measured her from elbow ergot and found this not to be accurate. Instead we measured from elbow to ground and took that measurement from elbow to wither. This fit perfectly.
When we performed this 'measurement test' on the colt, I said to my friend that there is no way he was going to get that tall. We thought about it for a while (both horses are exceptionally well conformed). The 17yr is lovely and deep through the girth and the colt will mature the same (not related though) and this is what we had not taken into consideration.

Once we realised how the string system worked ALL the horses got a measure - some of them are not as deep through the girth, the ergot to elbow worked better on these.

Regards

SamL

simone (Guest)
23-04-01, 10:54 AM
Ergot to the elbow is the correct measure!

Rusty#1 (Guest)
23-04-01, 12:08 PM
Thankyou everyone. I'll go and give it a try and see just how tall madam spider legs should grow!

jr (Guest)
24-04-01, 01:20 AM
How young can the baby be to do the test? Will it work on a 7month baby?

Lis (Guest)
24-04-01, 04:31 AM
I heard the string goes to the ground for babies and to the ergot for yearlings or older. :D

Michelle (Guest)
24-04-01, 05:55 AM
It's ment to work on all horses regardless of age but as the earlier reply said it doesn't work on all. But I have found it to work on most.