PDA

View Full Version : Chicory. Can it be fed to horses?

Pam
22-04-01, 10:23 PM
Is there anyone who has had the experience of feeding chicory to horses. It is used to fatten sheep and cattle before they go to market. Can it be fed to horses or is it too rich and likely to cause colic?
Does anyone know the phone number of the Rutherglen reserch centre? They have done alot of reserch on different feeds and horses, maybe they would know.

cowgirl7645
23-04-01, 12:32 AM
I was told during my studies in animal science that chicory can not be fed to horses. Sheep and cattle may eat it because they are both ruminants. Their bodies can digest and use many feeds that horses can not.

georgina (Guest)
23-04-01, 06:13 AM
According the book, Pastures for Horses by Angela Avery, available from RIRDC, chicory (Chicorum intybus) is used as a pasture for horses in New Zealand but should be rotationally grazed every 4 to 6 weeks. The book recommends sowing at a rate of 4 to 5 kg/ha when sown with grasses and legumes. It is suited to areas receiving more than 600 mm annual rainfall, but will not tolerate waterlogging.

Pam
24-04-01, 05:14 AM
Thanks georgina, I am thinking of sowing it with lucurne and grazing the cattle through first and then the horses can follow after once the rich feed has gone. But it will take a far bit of preperation of the ground before we can proceed.

georgina (Guest)
24-04-01, 10:36 AM
I believe that chicory is combined with lucerne in NZ and then rotationally grazed on some thoroughbred studs. I understand that the attraction of chicory is that it provides green feed in late summer when the grasses have browned off. I'll be interested to know how you get on with your project.