PDA

View Full Version : Brand Question

teegs1983
03-11-08, 09:35 PM
Hi eveyone

Sorry another brand question here. I was wondering where you can look up your horses brand? Does the ASB have brands recorded that are for horses who are not TBs?

My horse is a QH x Arab. I would really love to have know some of her background. She recently hurt herself and when I went to the vet to get her a tetanus booster I didn't even know if she had ever had one before.

Anyhoo the brand on her near side is a - above a () and on her off side it is a | above a C (she is about 15 hh and chestnut if that helps). I do have a pic of it on my phone but have no idea how to get the pic off my phone let alone upload it on here.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. You just have to dance in the rain.

shadowmystique
03-11-08, 10:05 PM
The DPI keeps records on brands, you have to check each state individually though.

ASB only records thoroughbred brands and most purebreeds have a regestry of some sort, but for a general cross breed, go to the DPI.

MMC
03-11-08, 10:07 PM
The Australian Studbook may sound general, but has information only on Thoroughbred (the breed) horses.

Beyond that there are many "studs" that brand their own horses that are not necessarily recognized or registered by any breed society. In other words I could breed unknown to unknown and brand it but it doesn't mean anyone else will know who it is.

If you horse is crossbred there is even less chance its brand will be recognised.

Sorry. Good luck anyhow.

By the way how long have you had this horse without knowing her Tetanus status?? If you did not know this when you got her why did you not just give her a booster when you got her? This is basic handover procedure 101. Such as "when is she due, tetanus/strangles, worming shoes, EI vacc, etc"

Sorry, Good luck again.

teegs1983
03-11-08, 10:17 PM
Good question. I have only had her for 2 months. We have recently moved agistment and I guess it just slipped my mind oops. She didnt hurt herself too badly though lucky for us both.

I would just like to find out who owned her before the lady I purchased her from. I know she has had at least 3 foals (shes NOT having any more) the lady I got her from said the person she got her from had at least 27 other horses, so i was thinking maybe this person was a dealer? She is well educated and has apparently done dressage(she can walk sideways, sorry i dont know what that is called) and has an extreamly soft mouth, she is a dream to ride. She is about 16 years old. She is a lovely horse and I guess I would just like to know for sure what she has done etc.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry just edited to add that the lady I purchased her from only had her for 6 months before I bought her. She is such a nice horse she definately has a home with me for life.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. You just have to dance in the rain.