PDA

View Full Version : A timely reminder to WEAR A HELMET at all times..

phoenix_wb
13-12-08, 11:43 PM
From Eurodressage: "Ingrid Wahler, wife of the famous German stallion owner Burkhard Wahler of Klosterhof Medingen, has been severaly injured falling of Hanoverian Stallion of the Year De Niro while hacking. The 15-year old stallion returned from the woods without his rider. She was found after a lot of searching in the local forest and immediately transported to the hospital. She has been in a coma for three weeks now and is in stable but critical condition. Wahler, who had not worn a riding helmet, sustained an open skull fracture."
I personally believe it is irresponsible of magazines to publish any pictures of riders without helmets, but thats just my view.

craemma
14-12-08, 07:44 AM
HEAR HEAR!!!
What a terrible and totally uneccessary thing to happen.
I do hope she recovers, but brain injuries being what they are, I would guess that things may never be the same for her however...very sad.

Anubis
14-12-08, 08:56 AM
Horrific

I used to be happy to go helmetless most of the time (many many years ago in a different life) then I had an accident while I was wearing one...

I was riding a horse for someone when he turned over on me. I had not been told he was a rearer and later found out he was destroyed after hurting other people.

Any way the impact with the ground and his hooves smashed my helmet at the base of the skull and one side (which I later learnt was over a speech centre in my brain).

The result, I couldn't speak properly for around about a month...I lost my nouns. I knew what things were called (eg calling a horse a horse) but when it came to saying the word, somehow I could not get it from brain to mouth. I had blinding headaches for months, a cracked cheekbone, fractured wrist...All that with a helmet.

It was absolutely no comfort to have my doctors say that this sort of injury occurs to rugby players all the time ;)

Have always worn one since.

Anubis

Merillian
14-12-08, 01:42 PM
I don't care what horse sport you compete in. I don't care if you only ride the old grey mare once a week. I don't care if you trust your horse 100%. I don't care if you are only a pleasure rider.

If you don't wear helmet when you ride then you are an idiot.

DB
14-12-08, 01:52 PM
I'm an idiot..... Try not to be, but........ Too old? Too silly??? Kids wear them ALL the time.

md
14-12-08, 01:58 PM
I have always worn one from my days as a jockey, and now I ride mostly young horses, but even on my trusty steeds you just never know what may happen, they may just trip, or have a heartattack and drop dead on you.

I don't agree that magazines need to only publish photos with people wearing helmets, its not common for riders in Europe to wear them, and people still have a right to do as they please even if we think its silly.

My daughter always wears one, but my OH doesn't, even when breaking in and jumping, only for comps and lessons as he has to then, I am just making sure he has a good life insurance policy :P

Poor lady I do hope she recovers, nothing worse than losing a loved one, thoughts are with the family at this time.

Dragoness
14-12-08, 09:54 PM
I cant understand why people DON'T wear them. Makes no sense to me at all. Why wouldnt you want to protect the most important thing in life YOUR HEALTH!! Its not like they are difficult to put on, its not like they are so heavy they throw you off balance and helmets these days are made with ventilation, so its not like they are stuffy anymore.
If its for vanity reasons, then hey, I have no sympathy for you if you fall off and crack your skull open.

Each to their own of course, but dont expect me to understand.

Cheers

Alicia_23
15-12-08, 01:08 AM
Agreed. I've always worn a helmet because it's been drilled into me from day 1.

A woman at the stable I used to work at was riding one day, flat paddock, hadn't rained for ages, and they were only walking along, and the mare just somehow slipped and fell on top of her. She was knocked unconcious for ages, in hospital for weeks, and is no longer allowed to ride. Her balance was too bad for her to get on a horse, and doctors told her if she fell off again it could kill her. She did get on a horse again, the quietest horse we had and we had to lead her around a small yard, but she found it made her too sick and had to get off. She still works at the barn, but only for 4 hours on a Saturday and Sunday rather than the fulltime she had.

And that was wearing a helmet, if she hadn't worn one she was told she could've been killed. Definately scared me into making sure I wore a helmet everytime.