PDA

View Full Version : N/H Autumn....

ALHannah
02-03-09, 09:04 PM
Autumn...I just love it, love the weather.
Is it anyone else's favorite time of the year, lovely warm days, not too cold, not too hot?
Great for having a ride...! Or, a long lunch and BBQ on a Sunday....!!!
A.

MMC
02-03-09, 10:02 PM
It was at least 37 here today. Autumn, what Autumn??

(And it was really, really humid. Yuk)

midnight
02-03-09, 10:04 PM
Oh yeah ... just great. ;(

Anubis
02-03-09, 10:27 PM
I love Autumn :)

My favourite time of year with hot days, cool nights, apples fresh off the trees closer to Easter. The smell of woodsmoke and open fires(probably not so lovely and evocative of pleasure for you southerners right now) and dinners cooking as I walk in the evening or just hang out with Iggy. The world just seems such a bountiful place at the end of summer.

The only thing I miss is that the the days draw in and as the shadows get long earlier and I have less light with my horse.

Upside of that is the quality of the light is amazing...I read somewhere that the surrealists tended to recreate late afternoon light effects because the contrasts were more stark.

Anubis

midnight
02-03-09, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry for my original post .. it's just that right here where I live, autumn ain't so good at all. Normally it is just as you say, ALHannah, but not this year for us.

It's terrifying ... my old and retired horses are in a safe (hopefully) paddock that is dust so nothing is there to burn and my special mare and very beautiful Shetland are ready to be off the property ... the float is on the car and there is feed, change of clothes, packed, ready to go.

I would love to enjoy the weather .. but not a chance this year.

opensky
02-03-09, 10:52 PM
I agree with previous poster! Here in Vic we're expecting awful conditions tomorrow. Many rural schools closed (day off to keep the hatches battened down, traffic off the road and kids home) all through my area. Feeling of dread everywhere.

Last year when we had a horrific wind and dust storm day an empty galvanised water tank was blown across a nearby paddock for over a km from our neighbours. We watched it rolling at speed and jumping over fences. Boy did that make the ponies prance! Luckily it wasn't in our paddocks, but over the road. Scary enough.

Yep, we have dust paddocks too, that they'll be fire-safe in (is there such a thing any more?)

Anyhow - keep safe everyone.
Regards

midnight
02-03-09, 11:01 PM
Keep safe, Opensky .... and good luck. Our local school is closed tomorrow.

That's all it will come down to .. good luck.

Anubis
03-03-09, 06:46 AM
Be safe guys my thoughts are with you.

Anubis

skymare
03-03-09, 10:09 AM
yes autumn is my fave time but usually after march as it's stillt oo hot for me. i adire late autumn early winter. the ground isn't too soaked and muddy yet and i'm not yet sick of all the rain. i'm happy to go ride out in it in fact. i love going to the botanical gardens in melbourne and watching the golden leaves on the trees fall to the ground and pile up. (no it's not a fire hazard there) love it!

OakyPoke
03-03-09, 01:16 PM
YEah I love it. Mornings are just right to ride. You dont have to wear a thousand layers like in winter. There is something - like a freshness in the air? I agree, its just lovely.

OakyPoke

acaciaalba
03-03-09, 03:54 PM
hope everyone in fire areas are safe and it hasnt turned out as bad as predicted ?
keep safe.
good luck.
roll on cool weather for everyone,s sake.