PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace, Ray

fire_ball
14-03-09, 05:42 AM
Ray Hunt passed away on Thursday 12th March. I'm not exactly this weepy sort, but I can't help tearing up over this news. Ray Hunt was an inspirational person to me, and the loss of him is just... heart-breaking.

Sorry guys :-(

Rest in peace, Ray.

HQ
14-03-09, 07:53 AM
Ray was the best of the best. After Tom Dorrance died, Ray very comfortably took up the mantle of mentor for so many of Tom's students.

I remember watching him ride a mare in Fort Worth TX that was building into real trouble and how he helped her keep from losing the plot. It was one of the standout demonstrations of horsemanship I have ever seen.

Then there was the time I saw him help a fellow get his colt saddled by roping it's back leg (from horseback) as it squirmed around. A few minutes of perfect timing from Ray was enough to help the horse stand still while the fellow saddled him.

And I'll never forget watching him load a horse that couldn't lead into a trailer. I know I would have taught the horse to lead in order to get him in the trailer, but Ray taught him to go into the trailer so he now knew how to lead. It was a lesson that taught me that any exercise is only an exercise and real purpose behind any job was to achieve softness and focus.

I don't see anybody who is yet able to step into Ray's shoes as mentor to all of us seeking good horsemanship. So he will badly missed.

craemma
14-03-09, 09:06 PM
In some ways I understand a bit how you feel fire ball, despite never having met the man in the flesh.
Such a loss, but on the flipside so many horses have so much to be grateful to this man for.
Ray was the original clinic trainer, and incidentally the main character in the book/movie The Horse Whisperer was based partly on him.

RIP

1st foal
14-03-09, 09:17 PM
RIP Ray,
My first foray into NH was with a guy who'd trained with Ray in the states. He spoke so highly of him, both as a horseman and as a man. And for me, after almost 20 years of riding, that 1st weekend clinic taught me more about horses than I had learned in nearly 20 years of riding, reading, lessons, PC etc. He didn't just helped the horses he touched, he's passed it on to so many others. Hope the grass is green and the saddles comfy wherever you are now, Ray.

DB
14-03-09, 10:45 PM
Oh, far out. I've known Ray, and done many of his clinics since I was 18 years old, and he was still relatively a young man. His manner towards horses, his love of them, and his guardianship of the horse was just humbling.

He also taught me loads of things of how to deal with life's issues, how not to fuss about things when they go wrong, and how to do things with an end in sight. I loved him. My horses loved him.

I have two ex-racers in the yards right now, and people keep telling me how quiet they are... Thanks Ray.

May you rest as you lived. Integrity and total commitment.

pauper
14-03-09, 10:53 PM
RIP Ray

.Freckles.
15-03-09, 01:44 PM
I've been away: thought the stars did look awfully shiny past few nights ...

DB
15-03-09, 02:22 PM
Oh Freckles - that's the loveliest thing I've ever heard said! How utterly beautiful!

You're so right. xx

Kartika66
15-03-09, 07:53 PM
Ooh - how embarassing - I thought you meant that man who does the fishing show and kisses fish and who endorses boats. I just told my husband he had died and that I didn't know he rode horses too...He rang HIS mate - Think I meant Rex....x(

CateH
16-03-09, 01:10 PM
Vale Ray.... a very sad loss.

Horse sense - something that horses have that stops them betting on humans