PDA

View Full Version : Susan Boyle

Berni
17-04-09, 10:34 AM
self belief ... this is an inspirational story.

Britian has Talent's new star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

I cried - WOW

kevarose
17-04-09, 10:51 AM
Her voice IS sensational. In particular she is soooooo emotionally connected to what she is singing and she was singing it to everyone in the audience, not for a second thinking about her 'technique' but genuinely communicating the words of the song to the people in front of her. Combine that ability to communicate emotionally through the words with a natural talent and beautiful voice, and you have ... a star.

Needs a hair cut and an eybrow prune though ... LOL

pauper
17-04-09, 10:51 AM
Hi Berni you wernt the only one :7
watched her on the telly last night and Anubis and i were both doing the "must have a speck of dirt in my eye" thing ;)

what a amazing singer she is and am glad to see she will be given the chance to shine even though she doesnt fit the "mold" of beauty.
cheers Pauper

"Dear God, help me forgive my enemies, even if the bastards don't deserve it."

Glenda_
17-04-09, 11:13 AM
Agree! saw a little interview with her thismorning. I bet they wreck her innocence tho.. and bog her up and colour her in, squish up this and pad up that.. just so she does fit that bloody mold.

Anyone see the father and son greeks irish dancing? THAT was funny!

pauper
17-04-09, 11:41 AM
Cant stop watching... tis "dusty" around here must get another tissue.

Dear God, help me forgive my enemies, even if the bastards don't deserve it."

Montego
17-04-09, 01:23 PM
I am not sure why people are going on and on about this. Ok, she can sing, so can a lot of people. Is it because she is fat and plain and can sing?

So is Joan Sutherland, and boy, could she sing!

I can't bear that syrupy, rehearsed 'surprised' look those idiot judges do - Oh wow, we've got a good singer. Der, that's what the show is for, init?

mumble, mumble, I will crawl back under my rock now.

LisaL
17-04-09, 01:27 PM
she has a lovely voice.

the comments about the way she looks - umm, anyone been to the opera? there's a reason for the saying 'it ain't over until the fat lady sings'.

Most of those opera singers like the heavily corsetted frocks for good reason:-)

but when I listen to the radio - i can't see the singers, and if there's one thing idyll has proved over the years, we all would rather listen to someone who can sing than someone who looks pretty but can't sing that well

dark_horse
17-04-09, 01:34 PM
People are going on about it, because we like surprises...we like to see people conquer adversity. We like to see people dream and then have the courage...HUGE COURAGE ...to pursue the dream, regardless of personal cost (ie people laughing at you, judging you..but you have a go anyway).

I believe the judges reactions (while maybe a little overstated because it was on tele) are actually a reflection of many reactions in the audience - wow, ths is a keeper of a moment - and i was here to see it!

Yes Joan Sutherland can sing and is a wonderful singer, but she was also identified early on in her life as a singer and nurtured and given opportunity.

This lady has lasted to 47, with only a handful of church goers in her little village who had the priviledge to hear her.

Now we can all hear her as much as we want, and this woman gets the chance to perform freely, after a life of putting her mother first before all else (how many other kids do we know of devoting their lives to look after their mother, father?)

I love the way it makes me feel listening to her and I am very happy that she has had the chance to sing and we have all had the chance to hear her.

I'm not sure what you hear when you hear her...but i prefer my take on it! i think I take this view because i have felt elation at doing something i didn't know i could do...i think once you feel this for yourself (at any level that is meaningful to you) then you can really appreciate achievements of others, and really want them to do well..its a great gift to have.

violetsmum
17-04-09, 02:03 PM
>> I can't bear that syrupy, rehearsed 'surprised' look those idiot judges do - Oh wow, we've got a good singer. Der, that's what the show is for, init?

Had a chuckle at that. You should read Ben Elton's book on his take-off of 'reality shows'. Very funny and scarily close to reality.

I do agree with the following statement on U-tube:
"Sounds like Les miserables, sounds like sean connery, and built like Mrs., Doubtfire....lol."

Beautiful. I hope she wins.

k8
17-04-09, 02:56 PM
There's no doubt the lady is a genuine talent and a very sweet, innocent woman, but in my mind, there's also no doubt that Simon (whatever his name is) knew it before she went on and before she opened her mouth...I reckon he was already counting the dollars in his head of how much she could make him.
Whilst it's a wonderful story to find such talent, I just wish good old Simon and the other judges didn't treat us like imbeciles with their fake acting.
As for Stavros Flatley...... absolutely sensational!..really great.

pauper
17-04-09, 05:09 PM
To those who have trouble understanding why we are agog at this woman and her talent its because she has a bloody brilliant voice!

yes i do like the fact that a "plainer" woman is going to go somewhere in life but its also like darkhorse said she's 47 and only her small community has had the chance to hear her sing like a angel, but now she can share that with us all.

this woman gives hope to all those that think life has passed them by, they can now think well she made it maybe i can, everyone has a talent and who wants to see that talent wasted. her talent just happens to be making gorgeous signing!

hoofpick
17-04-09, 06:06 PM
She can sing

kevarose
17-04-09, 06:23 PM
Beautifully said Violetsmum

Berni
17-04-09, 09:51 PM
As previously mentioned, Violets mum captured the message and perhaps Pauper got the right idea as well.

Susan's music will not appeal to everyone, but her preparedness to step out and be HERSELF and not present a package, is what makes this performance unique. She has affronted the judges and audience alike by just being Susan - double chin and daggy clothes and in raw talent state and we all had to take her for what she is - a fantastic singer.

The judges faces and expressions said it all.

There is a real message in this and it made my day!

Love to all.

sharyn
17-04-09, 10:01 PM
gotta love an underdog. ;-)

i loved her cheeky smile. i think she knew she was going to blow them away!

horse1chester
17-04-09, 11:00 PM
Hi all,
I am amazed with Susan Boyle, I heard about it on ABC local Radio today and checked out the you tube video. I have to agree that she believed in herself and thats why she has come so far. Her voice is beautiful and she deserves everything to make her dream come through. Hope the judges haven woken up and will give everyone on this show a real chance.
Wish all the best to Susan Boyle and also others, brave and believing in themselves.
horse1chester

Centaur
17-04-09, 11:39 PM
'fraid this is more my style...now this brought tears to my eyes ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHvATmUsSg

"Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say"

opensky
18-04-09, 09:02 AM
I just love it when when people emerge who defy the expected 'mould', in any walk of life.

Hate the show, it's all about looks and image (I know it's to feed a market!) hate the smarmy, critical judges and their 'type-cast' superior attitudes. (Mainly just that ONE guy, the one they probably pay to fulfil the OTT role) Yep - I'm a cynic! Haven't watched it for years, saw some tragics on there once with NO talent who got totally ridiculed- couldn't believe their friends/family LET them think they could go on national TV!

I thought the song reflected perhaps a secret wish that she's nurtured all her life, which made it more poignant.

Hope the 'fame' thing isn't a regret - you know, the old 'be careful what you wish for' saying.

Regards

acaciaalba
19-04-09, 09:38 PM
goood on 'er!! old plain jane ,,,they all thought she was a joke and she showed 'em !!! never judge a book by its cover !!!!
who cares about the judges and their expressions,, who are they anyway ?? on most of these programmes i have never heard of half of these so called experts, so who cares !!! does anyone here know who any of those 3 judges are and what they do ?? i sure dont.
no lessons,,nothing,, but the small village choir,,and she slayed them !
its a great feel good story to show those that have a god given gift to get up and have a go instead of being downtrodden and hidden away. because she was plain and frumpy they all wanted to ridicule her and she made absolute fools of all of them.
and she did !! absolute fools of the lot of them !! not one of those judges or the audience could get up there and sing like that.
good on her ! i hope she goes far, and i dont believe she will ever change, and what a bloody amazing voice !!