PDA

View Full Version : Perspex for float window

scooti
13-05-09, 11:56 AM
My husband and his panel-beater friend are respraying my float. (I'm so excited, I will no longer look like a total Coastie-Bogan on the road).

We thought we might replace the window at the front at the same time. Does anyone know where I would buy the perspex, or if it is a special type of perspex, ideas about prices, anything else I should know before I buy it?

We are in the Sydney and Central Coast areas.

.Freckles.
13-05-09, 12:20 PM
Hey stranger !

you could ring these guys and ask http://www.kendycaravans.com.au/ - they are in erina heights and clark rubber down the road in erina sells perspex sheeting.

scooti
13-05-09, 12:28 PM
Hey - thanks Freckles!

Descalzo
13-05-09, 01:59 PM
We bought ours from Bunnings, but we have 3 smaller windows not one long window. The one from Bunnings may be a bit too rigid, but might be worth a try.

As Frex said the caravan places are a really good source of information and equipment too.

Roquen
14-05-09, 10:54 PM
Places that sell glass usually do perspex too, its very cheap like $14 was enough to do one float window on mine last year.

pea_nutz
14-05-09, 11:44 PM
Windscreen Obriens is where i got my new perspects for the front window from.

They had good safety stuff that doesn't splinter and shatter too.

Sparrow
15-05-09, 02:14 AM
'Perspex' is simply a brand name for acrylic sheet ... and unless it is heat formed to suit the shape of the round frony of your float ... it is not the best material to use due to the stress it is under from being wrapped around & fixed to the float !

You see on older floats all the vertical 'cracks' in the front windscreen ??? ... well that is the result of the internal stress plus degradation due to exposure to UV light causing the material to fail.

The best material to use (& what I use in my floats) is a polycarbonate sheet such as 'Lexan'. this type of material CAN be cold formed & is also UV treated so it won't 'go off' in the sun. I use a grey tinted 4.5mm thick 'Lexan' for all my front windscreen as it is virtually unbreakable. I can cut an off cut 50mm wide, tie it in a knot & whack it with a hammer & it will not fracture ... do the same with 'Perspex' & it will simply fracture when you bend it too much let alone tie it into a knot !!!

Aargo
15-05-09, 09:36 AM
WOW thanks Sparrow,

I am currently restoring my float and will contact my local plastics manufacturer.

Hate restoring my float :( for the record...I guess I know that it is safe since I have stripped it down to frame and flooring...

A

scooti
18-05-09, 11:12 AM
Thank you all.

I was hoping you'd have an answer Sparrow. That was my worry. I don't want to replace the window then have it crack. So how do you get hold of this 'Lexan'? And is it expensive?

Noddy
18-05-09, 01:44 PM
I did the same as sparrow using a tinted polycarbonate.Cost me about $70.00.Most local perspec manufacturers wil have it or know where to get it.

Make sure you pre-drill the rivet holes before you place it up to fit it make it a lot easier & wil stop possible edge splits.

Sparrow
18-05-09, 03:54 PM
http://www.mulford.com.au//ContactUs/Australia.htm

http://www.eplas.com.au/3066776/eplas-engineered-industrial-plastics-contact-.htm

Both of these companies I use to supply me polycarbonate sheet.

.Freckles.
18-05-09, 04:06 PM
oi steve, how did you vote for daylight savings ?

ps:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3679/flame3.gif

; )

Sparrow
18-05-09, 04:09 PM
I was on the 'winning' side }( }( }(

.Freckles.
18-05-09, 04:12 PM
Wot ? really ? how come you voted against it ?

Sparrow
18-05-09, 04:21 PM
Pretty simple really .... DON'T LIKE IT !!!

When you have kids Frex .... THEN you will understand :+ :+ :+

Besides ... I am so SICK of having my curtains fade so much during the daylight saving time }( }( }( at least NOW ... I wont have to worry myself sick about it anymore !!!

Old American Indian chief when explained the whole 'concept' of daylight saving commented:

"Only a white man could believe that if you cut a foot off the bottom of a blanket ... then sew it onto the top of the same blanket ... that you WILL actually HAVE a longer blanket ???" ;-) ;-) ;-)

Something about that logic that I just simply ... like !!! :D :D :D

scooti
18-05-09, 05:29 PM
Thanks for those links Sparrow!

I couldn't get by without daylight savings. I'm not a morning person. I miss most of the daylight during winter because my eyes don't work until midday :+ And yes, God help me when I have kids.

ally2
18-05-09, 05:59 PM
the polycarbonate is more expensive but is much stronger & will last longer than acrylic without becoming brittle - the yellow pages will list 'plastics fabricators' in your area - they will cut to size for you