PDA

View Full Version : OMG!! I'm still shaking.

LindaH
30-05-09, 08:24 PM
I was cruising down the highway this morning on my way to a comp when the lady in the car behind me started flashing her lights. I checked the mirrors, all looked OK, the horse was travelling well, nothing unusual happening, but I thought I better stop and check just in case.
I nearly died when I walked around around the back of the float. The tail gate was down and dragging along the road! Thank god for breeching bars, the horse was happily standing there and didn't seem to even register the road was flashing by behind her! I'm so happy I didn't have a flighty type on board. I had new tail gate latches fitted a fortnight ago and the bloke who put them in hadn't adjusted them properly. I'd driven around town with them and they worked OK, but at faster speeds they managed to work loose.

opensky
30-05-09, 08:27 PM
How frightening! Lucky you stopped Linda, and lucky the lady gave you the alert. Glad all was well, could have been nasty.
Take you a few drinks to get over that one!
Regards

KelJ
30-05-09, 08:42 PM
Thank goodness nothing terrible happened. Makes you realise how easily things can go wrong.

Good on the lady who alerted you.

macrannoch
31-05-09, 02:29 AM
WOW, I would be shaking still as well, thank god your babies on board are so calm, and how good of the driver to notify you, I wonder how many would have not bothered.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ What we learn to do, we learn by doing ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

alwhitten1
31-05-09, 10:00 AM
You poor bugger!!! Hope you took it straight back to the guy who installed them and demanded a bottle of something strong for the trouble!!! I think I would have been in a flat spin!!

kerry123
31-05-09, 05:38 PM
no wonder you are shaking - very lucky.

Many, many years ago a family friend had standardbreds, and one day loaded one of their geldings to take him to the track for a trial. Bill loaded like a dream, but when the tailboard was put up he went nuts - almost killed himself and injured the guy doing up the tailboard. One minute the horse was standing as quiet as a mouse (as he normally did - he was a real sweety) next minutes plunging and screaming like a horse possessed. Managed to get him off and he immediately calmed down (but took a while for the stress to leave him). After denying it for an hour, the guy who drove him back from the track the day before owned up to the fact that on the way home the tailboard had come down whilst doing around 90kph and dragged on the road.

Needless to day that was his last day on the job - accidents happen, but not saying anything meant that no one had a chance to get Bill's confidence back up. And you had to wonder what else the gutless b*&* had not mentioned.

Glad your neddy was so sensible, but may pay to be cautious next time, in case she has a moment of concern, I imagine the noise would have been scary for her if nothing else

ALHannah
31-05-09, 07:43 PM
This literally sent shivers down my spine!
Glad you're all OK!
A.

Cheeky Chappers
01-06-09, 09:34 AM
Oh Linda, you poor devil!!!!

Glad all turned out well in the end though, very lucky to have such a quiet horse on board!

CC

Bad Bones
01-06-09, 10:51 AM
Omg, Linda!
That is something I live in fear of.
So lucky your mare was so calm.

BB

ASHlover
01-06-09, 11:29 AM
Have your radio up a tad too high??

How on earth did you not hear it??

Glad it worked out though :)

violetsmum
01-06-09, 01:47 PM
Thank you for posting that Linda.

I am always paranoid about such things happening when I float. So when I chose my new float I made sure I could see the top of the tailgate through the float!

Was it the latches that worked loose or was the spring that wasnt tight enough? You have to stand on my tailgate to get it to touch the ground.