PDA

View Full Version : Is there any horsey painkiller like paracetamol?

Cheryl50
21-06-09, 08:02 PM
My horse has a wound on his near hock (as a result of putting his leg through a wire fence x( ) I know there is Bute but from my limited knowledge it is an anti-inflammatory isn't it? and therefore a blood thinner and can cause stomach ulcers? Sooo is there a plain old painkiller that is gentle on the stomach and does not hinder wound healing like anti-inflammatories do. I am between a rock and a hard place as I would like him to be pain free, but I would like to wound to heal. ;(
Any animal pharmacists out there who know about this?

Ambridge
21-06-09, 08:09 PM
White Willow Bark.
Either buy it powdered from a place like Country Park Herbs or go hunt down the willow tree and debranch it.

Cheryl50
21-06-09, 08:44 PM
Thanks Ambridge, will track it down tonight.

Aargo
21-06-09, 10:49 PM
Another vote for White Willow, it contains salicin, the natural version of Salicylic Acid (Asprin).

Also Emu Oil is an anti inflammatory and honey for healing.

Berani
22-06-09, 12:15 AM
Hi there,

White Willow bark is great for gentle pain relief, but it is still a blood thinner if this is what you are trying to avoid?
There is a fine line of course, but sometimes a moderate level of discomfort can be a saving grace for injured horses, ensures they look after themselves a bit and take it easy - some horses, you take away their pain...they do dumb things, race around like loons 'I'm finnnnnnne...look at meee' and do themselves further damage.

Anubis
22-06-09, 07:17 AM
I agree with the willow bark....willow bark tea ancient and excellent remedy for people hurts as well. It's active constituent was the forerunner to aspirin as we know it.

Aspirin is synthesised these days because the salicylic acid can cause tummy upsets. It is also a blood thinner...have known mountain climbers to use it to synthesise high altitude when training.

Anubis

jackeroo
22-06-09, 08:23 AM
DEVILS CLAW is another good antinflaminatry , i use it and a good pain killer for horses, yo can get it at horseland or feed places

Cheryl50
22-06-09, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

Yep I gave him bute the other night, and yep he trotted around in his small enclosure and ripped the sutures. I was after something that was not an anti-inflamatory or blood thinner which hinders wound healing (like the NSAIDS) but along the lines of paracetamol just an analgesic. I got onto that site and ordered some white willow bark and will just give him a little each night.

shadowmystique
22-06-09, 03:41 PM
As others have said... while killing the pain is nice... It is actually beneficial for the horse to be in some discomfort while injured. If they can't feel the hurt, they will act as if they are fine and can make things worse and drag out recovery time quite a bit.

Most pain relief around for horses is anti-inflammatory to various degrees, and you may find that a "paracetemol" type pain killer would not reduce the pain anyway, as the pain is caused by the inflammation around the injury.

Is the pain causing him a lot of distress? or is he just uncomfortable?

Aargo
22-06-09, 11:59 PM
I belive Devils Claw is great for chronic pain like arthritis.

Anubis
23-06-09, 07:45 AM
Aargo have a look into the properties of Rosehip and Chammomile for pain and inflamation associated with arthritis and...very workable except for me the smell of dried chamomile is enough to have me retching worse if I have eaten. So much for stomach settling.

Might be cheaper and easier to come by in therapeutic amounts than the Devil's Claw.

Anubis

Aargo
23-06-09, 11:50 PM
Wow wansn't aware...I suppose it is the Vit C in the Rosehips, as Vit C has quite good anti inflam properties.

Bugger about the Cam, but I guess your constitution doesn't want or need it. I don't mind it, but prefer Pepermint for nausea or tummy upsets.

OakyPoke
24-06-09, 01:50 PM
You can get all of the above at Country Park Herbs, I pay around 20 per kilo for chammomile but from memory the devils claw is more expensive around 30 per kilo?

I think they have the white willow as well.

OakyPoke