PDA

View Full Version : stablehand

Katie
20-04-00, 06:09 AM
I'm 16 and want to work around horses. To work in a racing stable would be great as Ive always had an interst in the horse racing. What I don't know is how to go about it. I've had a bit of experience with horses. People have told me no experience is required but I don't know how to go about getting a job. Can someone please help me? Also does it matter that I'm at school still?

Looksthgoods
20-04-00, 04:07 PM
Depends which state your in. Best way to go in Vic is contact the VRC. They have alot of programs for young people like yourself to get involved.

Katie Matera
25-04-00, 09:50 AM
I'm in South Australia. Do I go straight to the trainers by sending them a letter or phoning, or do I contact the satra or relevant association?

From
Katie

bec
27-04-00, 11:19 AM
Hi Katie

My suggestion is go knocking on trainers doors. The turnover of staff in racing stables is ridiculously high and trainers that I know of are always keen to take on eager young people that are willing to work hard and work long hours.

Although I think the idea of going through the principal race clubs is not a bad idea either. Lots of TAFEs have courses which will help you also.

Bec

Agree with BEC
27-04-00, 01:30 PM
You could also just try getting some weekend work while you are still at school and see if you like it.

XC
28-04-00, 12:10 AM
I used to work in a racing stable that took casual staff from 4am to 8am, but in NSW. I'm sure one of the bigger trainers in SA would probably do something similar. Good luck, and I hope you like it, because I didn't.

rubiton
28-04-00, 01:13 AM
Just remember if you like partying at night (like joining friends going to clubs at weekends) working at the stables will not suit. I used to be asleep by about 7pm in front of TV on Saturdays and maybe 8pm during the week. And that was getting up by 5am to be at the stables by 5.30 or 6am (small stable so started a touch later).

On the other hand I got paid for working with horses which I could think of as 'mine' (non riding though) and got out in the fresh air and got heaps of exercise.

Agree with Rubiton
29-04-00, 01:41 PM
Also you see some "sporting" injuries that will be very upsetting - or at least they upset me. Injuries that you most likely will not see in Pony Clubs etc.
Bowed tendons, suspensories, wind, joints etc etc.
Partying is most definitely out - you have to be on the ball as most of the horses particularly the young ones can be a handful.
But on the bright side - it is great working with the horses. You get to combine a love with earning money (thou not heaps).

Good Luck

rubiton
30-04-00, 01:12 AM
I was lucky the worst we had as a stable was the best horse got kicked in the knee as one went back thru the field after breaking down. But he went fo r a spell and raced again. Worst I had as a strapper helping a different stable was where the jockey fell off to the barrier and the horse came back with the clerk after the race.

Working at the stables is also a good way to look out eventually for a horse to buy too. You end up knowing what horses are really like and trainers are liable to believe that you will take care of the horses if you get them after their racing career. The pay can be good if/when they win.