PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Salts and Founder

Anna_TAS
08-06-01, 08:25 AM
I think I saw something earlier about feeding Epsom Salts to reduce the size of the crest.

Has anyone heard of this or knows of anything.
I have just bought my sister Welsh/Connermara back and the woman that had her has let her go to #####.

She has a huge crest, however she is not as sore in the feet as I have seen her.
I would like to get her fit and active again as she has spent the last 12 months standing in a paddock and I am sure she hasn't been touched.

Can anyone give me some advice as I haven't really had a lot do with founder??

Caroline (Guest)
08-06-01, 09:52 AM
It was on the horse magazine forum there was a very good discussion on it.

Michele (Guest)
08-06-01, 10:49 AM
Hi Anna,
Yes there was a big discussion on THM site about it. Fran had a web site address which was quite good reading. My pony foundered a couple of times last year and had a huge crest and lumpy bum. I have since put her on Epsom Salts (2tsps daily) and the lumpy crest and bum has gone. I would thoroughly recommend it. Maybe if you search the archives in THM you may find it.
:-)

Sue McNeal (Guest)
08-06-01, 10:52 AM
Is that 2 TEA spooons or 2 TABLE spoons??????

Lin
08-06-01, 10:55 AM
As mentioned the discussion was on the Horse Magazine forum, initiatied by Fran. You might want to do a websearch for magnesium and founder or search through THM archives for Fran's link.

I have a friesian cross with a huge butt and cresty neck, who has foundered in the past. I've been feeding the epsom salts for a few months and have noticed a difference in his crestiness, at least (his a** never shrinks!).

worth a go...

PS..I chuck in a handful of epsom salts in each feed (am and pm).

Carola
08-06-01, 11:07 AM
My pony is also on an Epsom-salts maintance diet (no problems so far toi toi toi) ... but I was wondering if you can actually OVERDOSE Magnesium if this is a long term solution to prevent founder????

How much do you all give?
(Munschkin gets a heaped tea spoon in her tiny dinner)

Millie (Guest)
08-06-01, 11:46 PM
Go and search the Horse Magazine archives for the discussion it will tell you all you need to know. There's a lot of info and research in the article - type in magnesium or Epsom Salts and see what comes up.
It's pretty long and very worthwhile.

Bonnie (Guest)
09-06-01, 12:21 AM
Anna, I saved THM thread to my favourites, but I dont think it is polite for me to post the link here. If you would like to email me I can send it to you. :-)

faith_p82@hotmail.com

Autumn
09-06-01, 12:30 AM
I have had great success with epsom salts and my pony who had foundered badly before I got her. She had a huge crest and bum (she 9hh) and over the years with a STRICT diet she has lost it all.

I believe you can overdose (as with everything) so I only feed 2 teaspoons full a day - with her other vits in her mini dini.

I have been doing this for about 6 years now and and I believe coupled with other vits and minerals AND and very strict diet my pony has never been healthier and never founded while on this.

Julie (Guest)
09-06-01, 12:44 AM
I agree on the not polite bit - especially after the kerfuffle over gogallop and cyberhorse.. I went to THM archives and found the thread easily.

Buffy (Guest)
11-06-01, 02:51 AM
I wonder if it would work on MY lumpy bum.....????

Bonnie (Guest)
13-06-01, 10:55 AM
My God .............. think of the ramifications if it did!!!! :-) :-) :-) We would have people lined up in the thousands wanting the secret to cellulite reduction ........... and willing to pay for it!!!!!

Buffy, you're a genius ........... *lol*

Carola
13-06-01, 05:36 PM
Don't forget Epsom salts is a LAXATIVE!!!!!! ;-)

Bonnie (Guest)
13-06-01, 11:17 PM
At the doses given to horses it doesn't act that way, but in humans :'( :'( ohhhh deeear.. :o

The Real Bonnie (Guest)
14-06-01, 02:13 AM
Hmmmmm, how odd ....... #13 was posted when I was driving to work!!!!!!!

Bonnie (Guest)
14-06-01, 02:25 AM
Well maybe I'll post as Bonnie 2 - didn't know there was another, but maybe if you came in as a member it would have blocked me and told me that this was the case as in other forums... sheesh!

Bonnie (Guest)
14-06-01, 02:52 AM
Welcome!

Thats Ok :-) ..... I have posted a thread that will explain why I do not post as a member (same reasoning as many others - work addie!). Thought you may have noticed the nik was 'taken' as I had already posted on this thread twice. :-)

I've been posting here for about 18mths now, so I'll keep posting as Bonnie & you be Bonnie2, unless you have another nik you would prefer to use. :-)

Anna_TAS (Guest)
14-06-01, 04:37 AM
Thanks guys I knew I had seen it somewhere.

Well the farrier is coming today so I will see how it goes with her feet and then get her started on the Epsom Salts, after I have read the thread :).
Thanks again will let everyone know how she goes.