PDA

View Full Version : oats

sammy
09-08-01, 02:14 PM
Are they best feed crushed or whole?

imported_bill
09-08-01, 02:40 PM
Oats are best fed crushed. Horses have enough trouble digesting oats completely as it is, but at least crushing them gives them a head start. Be careful that they were crushed recently. Any longer than a few days and crushed oats can easily go off to the point where they will do your horse no good at all.

There is still a strong body of opinion that oats are the only way to give horses enough energy to win, but in recent years there has been a lot of research to suggest they cause harm in quantity. Pressure cooked extruded feed like Mitavite has been developed to overcome the poor digestibility of grain, without loss of energy value.

Horses like those in the Hawkes stable and Sunline race on Mitavite feeds. While they may have some grain added, the diet has nowhere near as much as would otherwise be necessary. You can read all about the science behind extruded feed on the Mitavite site here at Cyberhorse - [http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/mitavite].

You may not want to buy the Mitavite product, but you really should take the time to understand the damage that undigested grain does to your horses system.

Fine Cotton
10-08-01, 10:09 AM
Bill (or anyone), what is your opinion of feeding lupins that are soaked? I usually feed whole oats but after reading your post above and visiting the site I will now change to crushed. However I do feed soaked lupins, the horses seem to enjoy them and I do get good results with them. Would be interested in others thoughts on this particular grain. There was quite a good article in HoofBeats magazine last month or so about lupins stating they were a good grain to feed but to be sure to get the sweet lupins. My grain supplier has never heard of sweet lupins as such, they only get the one type which is the one I use. I have been using them for a number of years with no apparent problem. Then again I am also the fool that still religiously boils barley too! Cheers :-)

sammy (Guest)
10-08-01, 09:14 PM
I am the same as you finecotton. I feed whole oats, I was told not to crush them, so I suppose it gets down to preference.

Mc elvis (Guest)
11-08-01, 10:16 AM
that's no how ye make porridge!

imported_bill
11-08-01, 10:55 AM
Soaking lupins would make them more digestible. Its the same principle as crushing oats which breaks down the cell structure and helps to make them digestible.

Fine Cotton
11-08-01, 11:51 AM
Thanks Bill. :-) And McElvis, ha ha. Now where did I put the haggis?

Sonja (Guest)
11-10-01, 02:52 AM
Oats are about 70-80% digestible whole. This is quite high for grains. Processing oats can only increase their digestibility by about 5-10%. It is up to you whether you want to spend the extra money to buy processed oats for the small advantage in digestibility. Although some whole oats do get through the digestive system and are viable enough to grow, the majority are digested, and only the outer indigestible hull is visible in the manure. Whole oats also have a relatively high fibre content which is great for the digestive health of the horse.

kizmet
13-10-01, 08:38 AM
LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-01 AT 04:39PM (AEST)[p]I was told the best way to determine which is the best way to feed oats or barley is by looking at the manure! If a horse is fed whole grain, the birds will pick through it as it is a good source of free food as the oat/barley seeds often pass through undigested. If the grain is crushed, the birds are less likely to go picking through it as it is less rewarding. Experiement and see what I mean!

elvis (Guest)
17-10-01, 05:42 AM
research shows that the oats in manure are in fact only husks, not whole oats. how did they find out? they fished through and counted 'em. yum! as for mc elvis, i was partial to the food at the scottish restaurant myself. oh , those golden arches! :9

whole-in-husks-out (Guest)
22-11-01, 11:09 AM
:D
i can vouch for this, my daughter and i have 'analysed' horse paddock apples and found just the husks of the whole oats!
contact me for an analysis kit...

honky (Guest)
26-11-01, 01:43 AM
Fine Cotton
I feed soaked lupins to my SJer, he loves them, and he looks magnificent. I'm with you on the sweet lupins thing though, my feed supplier only has the one sort, and they haven't seemed to cause any damage so far.
With crushed oats, if they have to be crushed less than a few days, does that mean you have to feed the whole bag in a matter of days? (not to the one horse of course:))