PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Linament

Sky (Guest)
22-06-01, 06:34 AM
Does anyone have experience in using a muscle linament/rub for horses? I guess something like deep heat, but for horses. My mare has been girthy for just over six months now. The problem has recently arisen as a tight line of muscle (the posterior pectoral I think) running from the rear of her ribs through to her foreleg. I am trying massage to releive it and am hoping to find some ointment which will provide relief. There are a couple of brands in horseland, however given that they are not particularly cheap, I want something which is likely to have some positive effect.

ALLIE (Guest)
22-06-01, 06:51 AM
I don't think you can go past good old Penetrene. Pop it in a plastic spray bottle ($1.50 from the supermarket in the gardening aisle) and spray on lightly.

If our horses have worked hard or have been to an ODE, we spray it on after we have washed them off and scraped them - prior to popping their rugs on. It seems to prevent muscle stiffness. It could be my imagination but it seems to work wonders.

We use it liberally for our own sporting injuries also. If I have had a big cycle or run and can feel my muscles tightening I spray on the horse Penetrene. I have never found a human product that comes close to it. Only disadvantage is that is smells strongly so not the best thing to wear out on a Saturday night!

Berni (not at my computer) (Guest)
22-06-01, 07:45 AM
Many years ago I had my horses treated by Gerry Perrot - fantastic muscle man who worked out of the Melbourne Showgrounds, he sadly passed away. He used to recommend a daily rub (or twice daily for some problems) of a mixture of 1/2 Methylated Spirits and 1/2 Parafin Oil. The Meths created heat ... and the oil provided the lubricant to allow the rubbing and to carry the meths to the trouble spots. It was successful for a wide variety of muscle problems that he treated, and it is cheap enough to be worth a try. Good luck.

caroline
22-06-01, 08:02 AM
a Mirotec bib may be a good way to go PRE work, with the liniment rubbed in POST work - the only reason I would hesitate with using the liniment PRE work would be generating too much heat in the girth area, under the girth, and perhaps creating ultra sensitivity in that area whilst you are riding may give you more than you bargained for.....
Some essential oil blends (2-3.5% dilution) would be juniper, ginger, or pepper to create heat in the area, or chamomile after to reduce inflammation.

Spanna (Guest)
22-06-01, 09:58 AM
you could also try electric soda , a good hand full in half a bucket of warm water place a towel over the problem area and pour on leave for about 15 min before and after work it works for us we also use the metho and parafin oil

LF (Guest)
22-06-01, 02:21 PM
Sounds familiar. I use Rapigel (can be purchased from saddlery stores) I apply it after our workout, on the engine muscles. ie the muscles in and around the quarters. I also have my own ultra sound machine which is just the best for sore/injured muscles. Contrary to belief they are not expensive and very easy/safe to use. I picked mine up 2nd hand. There is also a product I have been trying to trace that is made from aloe vera. Alobar or something like that. I have heard it is marvellous. Would love the correct name if anyone out there knows of it....cheers...

Sky (Guest)
23-06-01, 04:12 AM
Thanks guys :-) Some great ideas!

I have intentions of using a linament only after work and on days when I'm not riding (almost everyday here in Tassie at the moment). I am interested in the Mirotec bibs - Are they effective?? Are they expensive?? Where do you find them??

caroline
23-06-01, 04:52 AM
Sky the bibs aren't expensive - just be careful as they sound quite crinkly, and if your horse is a sensitive soul can be a little scary at first!
They are very effective however!
http://www.mirotec.com.au/vetproductsprices.htm

Sky (Guest)
23-06-01, 06:03 AM
LF, I think the name of the product you are after is Alogard which contains Aloe vera gel, melaleuca oil and allantoin. I just bought some from horseland (Hobart), but apparently they get it in specially for some pacer owners. On the back of the bottle the manufacturers details are as follows
Hi-Tech Aloe Vera Industries Australia Pty Ltd
28 Princess Street
Bundaberg Qld 4670.
(No phone number)

Cheers

LF (Guest)
24-06-01, 09:17 AM
Have been offline for a few days. Thanks hepas for the info Sky. Sounds like the product I am after. Will get right on to it..cheers.

dally (Guest)
24-06-01, 11:39 AM
The Microtec rugs & bibs are great however I have heard that the horse can almost cook in them if they are out in the paddock on a sunny day (great for the stable, though). Please correct me if I'm wrong but I happen to be a very cautious person!!

PS - not to be confused with the magnet rugs which I believe are brilliant.

Sky (Guest)
26-06-01, 12:33 AM
According to the web site (thanks Caroline :-)) you are only supposed to use them for a couple of hours a day and under supervised conditions- particularly in the stable.

Looksthgoods
27-06-01, 12:55 AM
Antiphlogistine, an old tried & true product which is also great for - sore muscles, rheaumatism, minor burns, boils, swollen glands, kicks & sprains.