PDA

View Full Version : broodmares

moose (Guest)
31-10-01, 09:03 AM
Are broodmares going over "due dates" alot this season? Our dearly beloved is due in about 3 weeks but seems a long way of yet. This will be her 3rd foal for us & I think she has 3 or 4 before that. I have heard that 4 to 6 weeks over has been common place this season. Her other foals were pretty much on time, last one was a couple of weeks early...a week of 35+ & a large foal did that I think. This year she is nowhere near the size she has been in the past & the bag is quite a way "behind shedule".

What are other broodmare owners experiancing? or is it all a myth that some years/seasons mares go over allot?

Lorraine
10-11-01, 08:04 AM
Two of my three (the other we dont really know as we bought her in foal and the dates were unclear)foaled late. One was a first timer, the other an older mare. Older mare went at 348 days, the younger at 346 days, both lovely big and healthy foals. I too heard that a lot were late this year. Has yours happened yet?

Ann from WA. (Guest)
17-11-01, 12:25 PM
My girlfriend has a mare that came to my stallion and was served September 2000. She showed no signs of returning and so we left her to run with him till early December. She was due on 18/8/01 (+/-) and as at today she is still hanging in there. Her bag has been up, then down, then up again. She has waxed up several times and has also appeared to be in the early stages of labour but still no foal and still a fat contented mare. I had a mare go 2 weeks early (very unusual) and the foal died after 24 hours. I know a thoroughbred stud that had 13 foal and just about every mare went over from 1 week to 5 weeks. Just an odd season all around.

moose (Guest)
20-11-01, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the replys.... no foal yet...still about 2 or 3 weeks away I recon. I will post when IT finally arrives. In the meantime I will go back to religiously "groping", well, feeling the udder every day the 2wice per day when it gets closer!

Donna (Guest)
13-12-01, 03:10 PM
We have found our shetland mare are a couple of weeks late and 3 have foaled mid afternoon which we havent had before.

Jodie (Guest)
14-12-01, 02:41 AM
My Standardbred mare foaled 8 days before her due date, and had a big, healthy colt foal. She was fairly bruised and battered from the birth, no way we would have wanted the foal to be any bigger.
It's been so cold and wet down here in Victoria, my TB mare has come into season once and the pony mare not at all. In fact it was so miserable when the STB mare foaled that she decided to do it in the stable, completely of her own free will (I left the door open for her). She hasn't been stabled for years apart from this.