PDA

View Full Version : how long should i run my stable lights on for.

joe (Guest)
01-08-02, 10:05 AM
how long from morning to night should my stable lights be on for.

Saguna (Guest)
02-08-02, 10:02 AM
If the purpose of the stable lights is to assist in either shedding a winter coat or to prevent the winter coat growing, I turned on the lights from 4pm-11pm, off from 11pm-4am and on again from 4am until daylight at 8am. I used a timer, which can be fitted by an electrician, to switch the lights on and off automatically—this regime worked for me—hope this helps.

HA (Guest)
16-08-02, 10:37 AM
Mine turn on when the sun sets and I have them turn off at 9.30pm. This also has worked, but then I live in Queensland.
Cheers.

Debbie (Guest)
16-10-02, 04:45 AM
I have been advised and it has worked for me that horses requir 18 hours of either artificial light or sunlight or a combination of both. So work out for yourself how long you would be leaving your horse inside and you can work out what times your lights should automatically turn off and turn on i.e. remember 6 hours of dark should do, this is of course if you want a good coat for showing.

Regards,

DEB

red (Guest)
24-10-02, 12:38 PM
The idea of stable lights is to trick the horse into thinking it is still summer and therefore not grow long winter coat. Keep lights on later at night till about 9pm but always remember to turn them off... horses need sleep too! zzzz zzzz!