PDA

View Full Version : nipping 2 yo colt

katie (Guest)
29-08-02, 07:16 AM
Is there any one that has had a stallion that nips a lot, and also when i go to feed him he lays back his ears. I would like to know if gelding him will stop him laying back his ears when i feed him, i know it should stop the biting but i am more concerned about the feeding. Is there any one that has a gelding that does this?
Katie

Jodie (Guest)
30-08-02, 02:19 AM
My colts don't nip :-)
The little 8mth old colt used to, but stopped doing it when I would flick him on the nose for it. Just a flick with your finger like flicking away a bug. If you whack/smack really little ones it can really freak them out, so I don't recommend it.

But with bigger colts a smack on the muzzle can be the solution. My 3yo colt bit me twice as a yearling, got a quick smack for his efforts and has not done it since. The second time he bit me I had let my guard down and had a bucket in each hand, he just casually walked up and went "chomp". I dropped the buckets and smacked him, and he never tried it again.

Gelding your colt will help with the bully behaviour, but not necessarily with the pushiness at feed time. He is trying to bully you into giving him his feed when HE wants it, ie. NOW! I looked after a bully colt like this once, it turned out one of the other staff had been letting him have a mouthful of feed from the bucket as he went into the stable. So the colt would get shirty with me for not giving him any. I would growl at him and not let him near the feed until it was in the feeder. He soon stopped bullying me, but kept it up for the other person :-)
Any horse who tries to chase you away from its feed is trying to dominate you. It is one thing for a horse to be really hungry and enjoy its food, but it should wait until you have put it down and got out of the way. A horse kept on its own has no threat to its food and should be happy to wait until you have given it up. You need to get tough with your colt and make him know you are calling the shots. If you are intimidated by him you need to get someone to help you, as he will know it. A young horse of 2yo should be able to look to you for leadership, and you need to be a leader worthy of his trust and respect, otherwise he will take matters into his own hands in the only way he knows how.

Sorry this is long, but I hope it helps.

rhonda (Guest)
27-04-03, 02:13 PM
katie-The old saying goes never trust a colt or stallion and never turn your back on them they can get quite nasty, i have several colts and stallions and one in particular who is 18 months old we have tried everything to try and stop this colt from biting but he is very persistant, i have never been cruel to him or hurt him in any way but i am very firm with him, i had the same problem with another colt but by the time he was three year old he grew out of it, maybe your colt will or maybe he wont its hard to say without knowing the temperament of the colt but dont give him the benefit of the doubt because they are unpredictable.

kristy (Guest)
11-05-03, 01:50 PM
Go into the yard with your bucket and a piece of polly pipe and tell him to back up and every time he moves point it at him if he still does it smack him on the chest when he learns to stay away from you untill youve finished then pat him

STEPH (Guest)
17-05-03, 06:56 PM
KATY-
I am very agenst any of this smacking or flicking. I would suggest reading a natural horsemanship book. They are very informational. I have a 3yr old stallion that was very abused when he was young. He was very aggressive bout his food and would also bit and chrge. I know that this can be disturbing, but don't feel scared. He may feel that he needs to defend his food. I have taken him to many natural clinics and they have tought me to never hit, you need to redirct him mind. I can suggest some books and a few trainers if you need, but DO NOT HIT HIM it will make the situation worse. You also donot want to discourage him from being cought,

sil (Guest)
22-05-03, 06:45 AM
If you're not planning to breed this colt - geld him. Geld him now!

The natural dominance of an entire is going to just become more and more apparent in your everyday dealings and unless you are experienced enough (and willing enough!) to deal with a young stallion then gelding is going to be the #1 thing to do.

As far as bad manners at teatime - I have one BIG problem with the whole 'anxious that you are going to take his feed away' scenario... how can this be true if you have never, ever taken his feed away before? Do you see colts out in the pasture laying their ears back at their mums for a drink, or when sharing a feed with mum? No? I thought not.

What's the difference between mum and you? Mum kicks his butt when he annoys her or even thinks about being pushy. She doesn't turn and try to double barrel her beloved offspring, but she sure don't 'approach and retreat within comfort zone' him either. She is straightforward, sticks her ears back and tells him to take a hike.

When you feed your colt, make sure he moves a respectful distance away from you and *stays* away while you put his feed in and mix it. Do not let him start barging and eating while you are there - that is bad manners. Holler at him, give him a smack on the nose, swing a bucket, do what you need to to get him to back off you. The next time you should only need to grizzle.

As far as nipping, this is a classic beginning sign of him trying to dominate you. Be alert at all times around him, and ensure you are not giving him the opportunity to nip you. Really give it to him if he does. I mean, really give it to him. Nipping is not to be tolerated! One well-timed punishment of your choice will make him think twice before doing it again. If you are too soft, he will think it is a 'game'. You don't need to physically hurt him, hollering and a yank on the chain is usually plenty and only needs doing once.

pattie
07-09-03, 12:20 PM
yah like others said take pollie pipe in and when he goes to come at u hit him on the chest. but make sure this dosn't make him agressive towards you and others. yah not so much does my 8mnt colt do that when u feed him its more my gelding and just by hitting him over the nose stops him and he waits till you have finished.